“Money pit and thieves” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Centralia
Seattle, Washington
“Money pit and thieves”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

They have actually stolen our money and won't return our calls now. We put $100 on the "wristbands" so we could buy food and drinks. Our credit card wasn't available so we used a debit card. We used about $25 and the next morning the balance was gone. The front desk assured us it would be credited back. That didn't happen.

I have also ran into another person who had the same issue. They have the records and the desk assures us their finance guy can fix it but he won't return emails or calls after several weeks of trying. Not sure what to do next.

So only put money on the wristbands if you have a credit card available.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank Rich M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
Port Orchard, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

We returned for our 5th visit to Great Wolf Lodge. The staff were great and the kids had lots of fun playing Magiquest. The Magiquest staff were helpful and patient. The pools were much cooler than on other visits and the hot tubs were lukewarm, enough to keep me out of the pools. I hope they turn the temp up next time!

• Stayed January 2013
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

We just came home from the Great Wolf Lodge in Grand Mound, WA. This was our 3rd trip to the Lodge with our extended family (we are from Canada). We have 2 boys ages 6 & 3.5.

If you have never been, it is worth going! The first time was the most "magical", but I guess it is like that anywhere you go! The lodge is impressive upon entrance. It is a kids dream!

Each time we have stayed in a family suite. Nothing special, but does the trick! There are 2 queen size beds and 1 pull out couch. You have a TV, microwave, small coffee maker and bar fridge. We always book when there is a sale to save $! And we have always gone during the week - it is less busy and cheaper. The water park can get very busy on the weekends!

We also bring down breakfast, lunch & snacks. We eat out maybe once per day. There are lots of food options in the hotel, but they are pricy. You can book breakfast in advance which will save you some $, but we have never tried this. Last time we had a great Pizza dinner meal at the Loose Moose, but they were not open on this trip. So, we tried the Burger Claim next door - in the same parking lot - and it was FABULOUS! Worth checking out and they are open for breakfast, lunch & dinner. It is a burger joint - all made fresh! Not a lot on the menu, but the food was great! There are also more options in Centralia which is 5-10 min down the road (South) - we just have never made it down there. As for around the lodge...not much except for a few fast food joints.

Kids always have a blast in the water park. The water felt cool this year, but the kids didn't seem to notice - just us adults! Lots of life guards on duty and there are always lots of life jackets available in various sizes. The kids have to be 42" to go on the big slides with an adult (and there is no exception to this rule).

Kids love the story time and singing tree show in the lobby!

The room fees are pricey...so try to get in on a sale and remember that you are getting entrance to the water park as well (which makes it worth it!). You will also have to pay taxes and resort fees.

There is lots in the resort that you can spend - Magi Quest game, ice cream, souvenirs, arcade, kids spa and coming soon Mini-Golf. We have never played the Magi Quest game - not enough time and it costs a lot. We try to keep it as cheap as we can and try to enjoy the family time in the water park.

We have also always gone with extended family - grandparents & cousins, etc. This makes the experience so much more! There is always someone there to help out with the younger kids and allows the adults to fully experience the rides with the older kids. We wouldn't do it any other way - especially with young kids!

9 Thank Jess Z
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

Don't see how people can return again and again. Really. Once is enough.

Got a decent rate for 4 - $150ish. Much more and I'd feel ripped off and I know know most people pay WAY more. REALLY?? Often our room goes for OVER $350 and I DO NOT get it.

Registered on line. Got there mid week and no line really to register. Did I want my teenagers to have access to my credit card at will on their wrist band - UM NO - you crazy? Not even my husband. We were celebrating a birthday. Can I get one of those Happy Birthday door signs? $).25 worth of paper. "Sure they're at the gift shop fot $5 plus. Um no thanks

And so the cha ching goes.

Room - asked for a ground floor not near elevator or stairs. GOt that and a lovely view of the parking lot, even though the motel was 3/4 empty. Ever heard of upgrades? Apparently not. DOn't even bother with that at this place.

Room was good size for a family suite. Vaulted ceilings made the room feel a little larger. Got some old fashione. box tv that took up most of the counter. space. Some rooms had a flat screen on the counter. Ours had some 1990's thow back. One thing you must know that all rooms execept the grizzly suites etc have the same foot print. SO, a kids kamp or other fancy room is just family suite with room reconfigured with a bunk bed with a little drywall around it. The tvs have NO DVD players and they CHARGE big time to rent movies or play video games. Bring your own. The will not accept your own DVD player though.

MOST deceptive and important is that these "Queen" sized beds are NOT queen sized at all they are DOUBLE beds. There is a big difference and I think that is the one thing that Really pissed me off about this place. It is a BLATANT lie and they know it. I this is important to you call them out on it. Thed beds were ok but by the second night I was crippled.

The bathrooms are not "small" as some people who obviously don't travel much call them. THey have the toilet and tub in one rooom with the sink in the main room as many places do. They do have microwaves, fridges and counter space that makes cooking you own food easy. Good hting because the restautants are expensive and poor quality.

The water park was the most diappointing thing, I thought that was the reason for coming. I thought it would be much larger. The wave pool was ok but the wave pool at my local community center is better. There were only really 3 decent water slides and the rest of the place was really for little kids. The hot tubs were not reserved for those over 8 and were often filled with small kids and some with NO supervision. No life guards ever check on them. They were too busy with their weird Stepford robotic pace up and down the sides of the pools, pacing, sweeping, not even really paying attention to what was going on - even when there were only a couple of people in the pool At one point I witnessed 4 stepford robot lifeguards pacing for 2 people. TOO wierd. I felt uncomfortable for them. They creeped me out and DID NOT make me feel safe.

It was not too busy when I was there but I could not imagine going on ANY weekend. Ew. No thanks. We got rashedsfrom the excessive chlorine they say they do not use.
We were also exhausted from the LONG stair climbs to the top of each slide. We are all VERY fit and found the walk not at all enjoyable. Most slides we've been to have graduated ramps.

IF it's your first time get a paw pass if your kids are under 12. BEST DEAL. Be prepared to run around with your kids doing magiquest if they are under 12. SOme bad parents let their kid ssun amuck while they drink. SOme clues can be hard and the end of the game is very unclear and does NOT tell you how to finish. It's very confusing and frustrating for kids and the parents which equals much disappointment. The game was SO much fun until the end then it thunked.

The Starbucks was good but often had only ONE person working there. Save you cup for $1 refill.

Arcade good with most of the stuff new . But some game instructions were unclear and the ticket redemption machines had problems Ihad to wait 20 mins by one machine to get the "technician " to help and then he says "oh yah, I've been waiting for parts for This" so then why is it still open? Even if yous spend LOTS of money and amass a ton of tickets you cna only buy crap with it. PLUS when you put money on a card for the first time they charge you a dollar and dont even telly you . RIP ME OFF!

Story time and the clocktower show were free but not a must see. OUr kids wer freaked out by the clock tower show and BORED by story time. Same thing every night. The pool side bar charge $9 for cocktails.

All in all I say go midweek and for less than $160 for 4. ANy more htan that and they see you coming. BRing your own food too and lots of booze too. They dont' enforce the"no outside food or beverage" rule at the pool.

Try it once and then vow to go somewhere good next time.

6 Thank coffeechik
Washington State
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

I purchased a $300 gift certificate for my sister and her family as a Christmas gift for Great Wolf Lodge in Centralia, Washington. They were very excited to receive this gift. They received an e-mail from Great Wolf Lodge offering them the opportunity to check in early so that they wouldn't have any waiting upon arrival. When they couldn't check in online, my sister called and was told that because they were paying with a gift certificate, they couldn't check in as other guests could. She was told that guests paying with a gift certificate did not have that privledge. This translates to guests paying with a gift certificate are second to guests paying with a credit card.... yet I paid for that gift certificate with my credit card!! I cannot believe that they are already getting second class service. I am very disappointed in the lack of customer service afforded to my sister and family when it shouldn't matter. I purchased the gift card right from the Great Wolf Lodge website and at full value (not a reduced or discounted rate). Unbelievable. I hope that when they check in on Sunday, they are treated with better care than they have currently received over the phone.

Room Tip: DO NOT PURCHASE A GIFT CERTIFICATE TO RESERVE A ROOM - You will not be able to complete an early che...
8 Thank MJWORK

Travelers are raving about these Centralia hotels

Sanur, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was my first time to Great Wolf Lodge, but it was my niece's 3rd time (they had been with their grandparents twice), and I can't wait to go back!
Everything was handled really well, especially being so busy the day after Christmas! All the staff on the slides were particularly fun and made the kids' visit so memorable!
I can't say enough great stuff about this place, we can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: We had a cabin room and the girls loved it!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank indokerri
Abbotsford, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

We are a family of 6 who have just returned from a great weekend. We stayed in one of the kids cabins suites on the third floor.

Check in:
Long lines - recommend to register online ahead of time (we were using a different card than the one we paid with so we could not online register). They do offer you your wristbands for the waterpark if you don't want to stand there and you can come back later.

Room:
Kid Cabin room 3017 - room was quite spacious, very clean and the kids absolutely loved having their own space. We also were traveling with a 9 month old and requested a playpen which was promptly delivered to the room. Even with this we still had lots of room. Fireplace was so nice - kept the room nice and cozy. The shampoos and shower gels smelled absolutely amazing! NOTE - no conditioner is supplied!

Beds must have been comfortable as we were asleep by 10pm and didn't move the entire night .

Waterpark:
The different areas are great when you have a family of different ages. Our 9 year old daughter loved the wave pool, while our 9 year old son spent a lot of time on the lily pads. Our 5 year old really enjoyed the kids area - slides, jet skis that spray water, tunnels to climb through - it was great! Our 9 month old was content to people watch and to dip his toes in the water.

Magiquest:
This is a really neat game for the kids, the older they are the more they would understand. The wands are minimum $17.99 plus another $12.99 for the game, and if you want a topper you are adding at least another $15.99. Our kids shared one wand and worked as a "team" however if it wasn't so pricey we would have bought them each their own.

I was surprised at the lack of parents - ie. children running all over the hotel and very few had parents even near them. I would fear that someone would get hurt or lost or worse so we were within a close distance at all times.

Food:
We had the Wolf it Down Family Meal (part of the $125 birthday package) - pizza, salad, breadsticks, and pop. It was decent - not greasy, nice salad

Birthday Part Package:
The $125 in our opinion was well worth it. It included the above meal ($30), a birthday cake that would easily work for 8 - 10 people ($25), a creation station stuffed animal ($25), a disposable kodak camera ($8), a Great Wolf Lodge scrapbook, 4 candy bars, 4 vouchers for the arcade that are 8 tokens per voucher, a canvas bag, as well as the door was decorated with a big poster.

Kids Activities:
Our kids loved the lobby area, the clock show was ok for them and storytime was really busy and adults were taking up all the space that tons of kids could have easily sat in.
Hula hoops in the lobby - genius - our 5 year old spent a lot of time here.
Kids Dance party - biggest smiles of the night - the kids loved every minute of it - it was at 9pm which was nice as they got the last bit of energy out of their bodies and were asleep about 2 minutes after their heads hit their pillows!

We will be back - our kids are already talking about "the next time" we go!

Room Tip: Check in online!
5 Thank Amanda R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Centralia
Olympic Club Hotel & Theater
Holiday Inn Express Suites Chehalis - Centralia
Best Western Plus Park Place Inn & Suites
Hotel RL Olympia by Red Lion
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Olympia
Peppermill Empress Inn
Peppermill Empress Inn
#3 of 11 in Centralia

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!