“Great time with family!”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Centralia
Bellingham, Washington, United States
“Great time with family!”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed for two nights to celebrate my son's 7th birthday. We visited over a weekend and the lodge was quite busy. Check in was a breeze. There were plenty of employees at the check in desk helping guests. Our room was ready early so we went to the room first before hitting the water park. The room was spacious and clean. It had a coffee maker, fridge, and microwave. The water park was a lot of fun. It was a clean and safe environment. All of the lifeguards their are dilligent in their duties. The arcade at the lodge was a lot of fun for my kids. The prizes at the ticket booth were good and didn't require too many tickets. The arcade has plenty of games and is well lit and clean. We ate at all of the restaurants and food stands at the lodge. The service was great at each location and the food was reasonably priced and good quality. All of the workers at the lodge are very friendly to the kids and helpful. My daughter wants to return to celebrate her birthday in March. Some other reviewers have complained about the loud kids and craziness. These people have to realize that it's not a lodge for a quiet and relaxing time. There are kids having fun so it's a little loud at times but not too loud. I enjoyed watching the kids enjoying themselves.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We payed almost $300 for our room. It snowed and due to weather conditions/power outage, slides closed, wave pool closed, broken story time tree/characters. No apology from the hotel personnel. I ended up speaking to a manager and got a discount voucher. I've tried using it three times only to be told the day is sold out (although I can book online ). Terrible service!!

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank Sneaks2727

Travelers are raving about these Centralia hotels

British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Our family (mom, dad and 7 year old daughter) stayed two nights in early October 2012.

Rooms - clean and relatively spacious. This is not a 5 star property by any means but it was much better than I had anticipated. Pleasantly surprized.

Food - mostly a big disappointment especially on the kids menu - we opted for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and it was PREPACKAGED!!! are you kidding me???? it hit the bottom of the trash can almost immediately. If you care about eating healthy at all, bring your own food even though it is forbidden.

Waterpark - fantastic and fun for the whole family. busy but relatively clean. staff seem pretty well trained and were very personable and friendly. One suggestion would be to have a large sign indicating that you are supposed to get your child measured and then 'wristbanded' with their colour (red under 42", yellow between 42-48" or green above 48")... we did not know this (and it was not post anywhere) and for the life of us we couldn't figure out why we kept getting the dirty eye from the tube operators... our daughter was 46" and needed to have the yellow band to ride with us.... of course, on the 2nd day this was brought to our attention and the friendliness returned.

Magiquest - JUST DO IT!!! it was well worth the $30 - it occupied us for 5+ hours and it was quite fun. If you are staying for one day then you might be able to get away without it but if you are there for 2 days - just do it.

Location- this is really located in the middle of nowhere! We came from Vancouver, BC and it took us over 6 hours to get there on the Friday afternoon (hit Seattle at 3:30 and arrived at the lodge 3 hours later - BRUTAL!) Came back on Sunday and it took us 4.5 hours... much BETTER so try your best to avoid the traffic if you can.

Rooms - ask for one a little further away from the stairway.. which is a large part of the magiquest game... we were right beside the stairwell and it was LOUD!!! Mind you, you don't want to be too far down the hallway either as it is a long, hallway!

Bring a sweater!!!!! the resort is COLD especially when you come out of the waterpark and are wet and need to leave your towel inside the waterpark and walk back to your room - remember those super long hallways....

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 6th or 7th floor as the magiquest doesn't go to those floors OR ask for a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This was our third trip to GWL (Grand Mound). I took my 2 daughters, ages 8 and 11, for a girls weekend away. It's about a 3.5 hour trip from the Lower Mainland, as long as you avoid Seattle rush hour traffic! I recommend taking the I405 around Seattle, and using the HOV lanes whenever possible.
We booked a trip from Sunday to Tuesday, as we had a professional day on Monday. To get the best rates try booking during slow seasons, during the week, and avoiding Fridays and Saturdays as well as major holidays. We booked a Family Suite (the cheapest room) for approx. $160/night. This is usually the cheapest rate you'll find. It was great being there on a Monday/Tuesday. Many guests were just leaving as we arrived, so it wasn't too crowded at all.
I requested a ground floor room with a patio (as recommended by another reviewer), and I was very happy with it. We never had to use the elevators to get to our room and it was a quick walk to the Waterpark, lobby, restaurants or MagiQuest shop.
You can park your car close to your room and just bring everything in the sliding door. Very convenient! The sliding door has a metal bar to lock it, so little kids couldn't open it too easily.
The ground floor rooms have wonderful high ceilings, so they are very bright and spacious-feeling. Even the kids commented on how big the room was compared to the usual Family Suites we've stayed in previously.
I was concerned that being on the ground floor, there might be noise from the parking lot, or people smoking outside, but there was no issue at all with either concern. The sliding door was pretty sound-proof, and I never smelled any cigarette smoke at all. (We were on the front side, not the highway side of the building)
The kids enjoy the waterpark, especially the wavepool with it's alternating regular waves and 'crazy' waves! It makes me queasy though...
Our favorite slide is River Canyon Run, especially at night when it has coloured lights and rocking music. Be sure to bring a cover up for when you are walking back to your room. There are small towels at the waterpark, but you can't take them out of the waterpark. I also recommend taking your swimsuits to the water extractor machines that are outside the change rooms. They will dry much more quickly.
We spent far more time with MagiQuest than the waterpark though. My kids have done all the wand quests, so the bought Compass Quest this time. The quests were a bit harder (all have a time limit), but the finished them all up before we left.
We enjoy the breakfast buffet, and it is more economical to add it to your booking when making your reservation ($10/person). There is a good selection of hot and cold foods.
I particularly noticed how helpful and pleasant all the staff member were on this trip. All the front desk staff would smile and ask how they could help when I approached them.
Special kudos to the lifeguards at the bottom of the waterslides. They would say "Did you have fun?" or "Have a Great Wolf day!" whenever they helped us at the end of our rides!
Also, the MagiQuest staff...wow...how they put up with kids pestering them with questions all day long is beyond me! Shout outs to Magi "Sandwich of Chaos" and Magi "Fluffysocks of Doom". They were really helpful and lots of fun. Huzzah!
The only reason I'm giving 4 stars instead of 5 is because there were some candy wrappers on the carpet of our room at check in, and there isn't a good selection of healthy foods on site (except for breakfast).

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have high ceilings and are accessible from the parking lot.
3 Thank Bumblepug
West Jordan, UT
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Me, my four girls and a family friend made the 2 1/2 hour trip just to check out this water park/hotel. Naturally it was fun, but I can't say I would go out of my way to spend as much as I did for the adventure. The hotel/waterpark can be pricey for one's budget. We enjoyed the waterpark and the comfortable water (82 degrees), and I'm glad we only stayed one night because you can get rather tired of doing the same water rides over and over again. The magiquest game was very fun. As a note to others wondering about the wands. You can buy used ones online because the data that's stored within each wand is easily erased after the cashier at the quest games' beginning asks you more than once, "Are you sure you want to erase the previous data?" This game is a lot of fun and I do recommend getting a couple of wands, if you have some older kids. We had a total of 3 wands for the 6 of us and it was perfect. My younger kids want 'Dad" next time but because I think the park is so overrated I don't think that it will happen all too soon. The hotel offers refrigerators so we brought our own food, just as so many other guests do. We found several restaurants nearby too.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 5girls1boy
Lake Stevens, Washington
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We went just for an overnight Sat-Sun, our family of 3 had a great time. This is a great place for family get togethers. It's very safe, all the kids are well looked after throughout the resort by resort staff, almost like a cruise ship. Grown ups can hang out and talk while kids go off and play. Very clean and well maintained with a large lobby area that looks out onto the waterpark. This would be a great winter getaway !!

Some helpful tips:

Check in:
Do this on-line to speed your arrival up
Everyone gets a wristband that acts as a door key and a debit card, so most kids can run
around freely (like Disney or a cruise ship) and get snacks and drinks without being tied to Mom
and Dad

Food:
The pizza is a popular things with teens, they can order, pay and pick up themselves. There
are a couple of bars for the grown-ups. The breakfast buffet is $13.99 for adults and had a
huge selection of food; make your own omelette, eggs your way, bacon sausage, potatoes
made a couple of different ways, fresh fruits, yogurts, hot and cold cereals, donuts, muffins,
breads.... it was worth the price. There is a burger place right next door too.

The Waterpark:
Plenty of play areas for all ages, a wave pool, a tiny tot play area, a water works with a large
bucket that spills over for a flood-like event and 2 smaller slides you don't need tubes for, a
pool area with large climb-on soft play areas and basketball court with super soft smaller
basketballs, 4 slides with 2 carry your own tube and 2 you get at the top, and an indoor/outdoor
hot tub. It's comfy inside the water area, like 82 degrees. There is a bar inside the pool area
too...Lots of places to sit and watch the kids play. Tons of towels there, no need to bring any.

Rooms:
Have a fridge, so feel free to brings drinks and snacks along. Try to get a room away from the
elevators, they get busy. There is a fitness center too.

MagiQuest:
Yes, it's spendy, but all kids have a great time. It's one of those things about a resort that's best
to plan a budget for than freak out about once you get there.

Local Area:
Centralia town center is 5 minutes up the road, with alternative dining choices, a large Safeway,
and an outlet mall to visit after a day of play in the water.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the elevators
1 Thank aksnt11
Granite Falls, Washington
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We took our duaghter there for her 9th Birthday. I set up reservations online and when I set it up I realized that I had put it for the wrong weekend. In a panic I contacted the online help and they were quick and polite on getting it set for the actual date. (9/7 instead of 9/14). Kept me out of the dog house.

When we arrived about 1:30pm we knew that check-in was not until 4pm depending in room availability. BUt we were able to check-in. The lady at the check in was very polite and went over the rules of the resort. Rule #1 was kids should be loud and have as much fun as possible. She also explained to us should our daughter get lost where to go and that ALL staff has passed background checks. Put us at ease.

Got our daughter a "Paw Pass". Worth it for your child to get. $60 for almost $100 dollors in souviniers and projects.

The Magiquest game is an interactive game that has you and your child roaming over the resort using a wand to find objects to complete your quests. Seems that it is never ending. So easy to get lost in the game and before you know it, you've walked 10 miles and still want to play.

The water park is great!!! The wave pool, the slides and 1000 gallon bucket of water that dumps over a water area. Constantly 84 degrees.

We found the food to be resonably priced and very delicious.

I've seen some people complain of the noise at the resort. REALLY? A resort for kids with noise? WOW? Who would have thought? How can you be such a prude and complain about a kid themed resort.

Would I come back? ABSOLUTELY!!! This is such a great place to spend time with your family.

Rooms are a little pricey but that is the norm any more. Bed was so comfortable and slept so great.

Go with your kids and be a kid yourself. You don't get these chances when they grow up.

1 Thank David C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Centralia
Olympic Club Hotel & Theater
Best Western Plus Park Place Inn & Suites
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Olympia
Hotel RL Olympia by Red Lion
Holiday Inn Express Suites Chehalis - Centralia
Peppermill Empress Inn
Peppermill Empress Inn
#3 of 11 in Centralia

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!