“Very impressed and surprised!”
Review of Peper's 49er

Peper's 49er
Ranked #2 of 15 Restaurants in Castle Rock
Cuisines: Diner
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Ate here yesterday, Mother's Day. Pleasantly surprised to find that it was not booked full. Not overly impressive inside (Clean, in good shape, just a somewhat dated interior, and the "art work", well, just wow lol. Judge for yourself) Place has been there since 1981 apparently.

Service was excellent. Seat yourself, and moments later a waitress was by to provide us water and ask if we needed something else to drink. Moments after that, another waitress stopped and asked as well. Not overbearing, simply helpful. It was appreciated.

Salad that came with the dinner was no-frills, which is not a bad thing. Iceberg and red leaf lettuce, with some grated carrots. But the plate was heaped full (more than I expected), and the dressing came on the side, so much I didn't use it all up. Normally I am left wanting more dressing, not in this case, nor my Mom. Salad had NO rust to it, so was obviously very fresh.

Unfortunately out of baked potatoes this visit, but my Mom had liver and onions with mashed potato and green beans. Mom spoke highly of the mashed potatoes (and she is a very tough judge of mashed taters!), liver and onions, and even the beans. Beans might have been canned, didn't ask, but had been dressed up with some bacon, and were excellent.

I had the fish and chip dinner, which indeed came with a healthy portion of fish. The fish and fries were both very good.

We were asked, and accepted, two slices of bread with the meal. Also excellent, and like the desserts (we asked) home made.

The desserts (which are included with dinner) we chose were strawberry shortcake and bread pudding. Both were great, obviously care taken in their making. Other desserts that were available off the top of my head were rice custard and ice cream.

Overall we were out the door for $23 (minus the 20%+ tip, they earned it) for two meals, with just water to drink. Mom left with a to go box, and I left stuffed. Based on my experience with other restaurants along the I5 corridor between Portland and Exit 88, the price, coupled with quantity and quality of the food, this place is #1 thus far. First place we have stopped at so far (this is #5, I need to write the other reviews) that Mom said she would definitely stop at again. I am so glad we stopped, if I have to spend money, I feel good doing so at businesses such as this. I hope every experience is this great.

I cannot comment on anything else (so marked average) as I didn't have kids with, or a special occasion.

1  Thank d0rian

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Traveling from Seattle to Salem, we saw this nice little place on side of I-5. We stopped and were happily impressed. Service was wonderful; warm and friendly. The prices reasonable, the food delicious, and the atmosphere pleasant. Glad we stopped.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Read a couple of reviews and were needing a place to eat on our way to Seattle for spring break.

Great food, great service and great value.

Highly recommend.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

If you like Gramma's comfort old fashioned cooking...this is your place. Breakfast is my favorite here. Awesome pancakes. Great Coffee. Superb homemade soups and desserts too. Reasonable prices.And a favorite of the truckers...so you know it's good.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Good old fashioned hamburgers and homemade fries. Old fashioned bread pudding and home made soups! Like your mom used to make.