“An oasis in the wilderness”
Review of Blue Heron chateau

and 1 more site!
Blue Heron chateau
Ranked #1 of 1 Castle Rock B&B and Inns
Northern California
“An oasis in the wilderness”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

About 5 miles and a world away from I-5, facing Mt St. Helens and the restored wetlands behind the park's interpretive center across the street. (The center's 1 mile wheelchair-accessible walk takes you through lily ponds on an old railroad right-of-way.) Very friendly and helpful hosts (and good cooks). A peaceful respite from our freeway travels.

Room Tip: Except for the Honeymoon Suite, I think the rooms are pretty similar. The ones upstairs probably hav...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ronks

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Tried to here with my family, but the wi-fi was broken. When I pointed this out, the staff provided a sob story about how this was an ongoing problem that was not their fault, and that is was hard to get their IT person to return calls and get the wi-fi fixed. When I pointed out that they had represented to me on the phone that they had wi-fi, and that it was their responsibility get it fixed, the male staff person (beer in hand) told me that he did not like my tone. Since I need to stay connected when I travel, I left. The room looked okay but was nothing special, especially for the $169 per night rate they were charging for midweek. (We ended up staying at an older hotel called Mount Helen's Motel right off I-5, which did not have a view of Mt. St. Helen's but the wi-fi worked and was a much better value at $119 per night.)

In follow-up, the Blue Heron decided to charge my credit card, even though we did not stay there. I am currently trying to fight this via my credit card company. Quite unprofessional staff.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Henry P
Bingen, Washington
Reviewed June 23, 2012

My wife returned this AM from an overnight in anticipation of a bike ride. Last night, there was a party outside her room, loud, tequila, continuous. No intervention from owners. About 3AM, a threatening drunk is hammering on the door. There are derisive names, shouts, threats. My wife has to flee her room to our friends room. They eventually flee the B&B the next AM. Evidently, the owner knows the abuser.

I stayed home with the kids. My wife is still crying from last night. What the hail!! This place should be put out of business.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank Chris J
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 28, 2012

This is the place to stay in the area! Clean, friendly, and close to hwy.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Umatilla
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Purchased a Living Social Coupon and had no idea what to expect. When we arrived I was more then pleased! The view is spectacular.....the rooms are clean and comfortable with wonderful views from the balcony.....excellent breakfast served "farm style" with more then enough to have seconds and thirds...and best of all was "the family"....really it was a "staff of amazing friends" of the owners and each one was a delight......just hated to leave....could have spent several more days in these surroundings......Do yourself a favor and plan a nice weekend away at this wonderful B & B....probably the best one I've been to!

Room Tip: I can't imagine a bad room in this B & B.....all face the mountain and if the mountain is co...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed December 11, 2011

I loved this place. The setting was beautiful. The breakfast was to die for. We had fresh fruit, 2 kinds of quiche, hash browns, muffins and fresh juices. The common areas were cozy. The inn keeper (Brenda) was very cordial and ate breakfast with the guests which I thought was a nice touch. I can't say enough about how Brenda made the visit pleasant. We were a little bit rushed so we didn't get to enjoy the common areas like would would have liked. However, it had a fireplace and vaulted ceilings with a veranda. Every room had a nice view from a balcony. The weather was misty for us so we didn't get the full view of the forest and the lake but we enjoyed the mist all the same since we come from the dessert of Utah. Please check out my pictures if I can figure out how to attach pictures.

Now, why 4 stars instead of 5? If you are a light sleeper, this place is not for you. My wife is a light sleeper and she was particularly concerned about how easily you could hear the other guests. Fortunately, the other guests, who we met at breakfast, were courteous and settled in early.

Room Tip: Only experienced one room but I can see that they all have the same view and all had a balcony.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
kmcsoon
Reviewed November 8, 2011

We live outside of Seattle and wanted a short getaway and came to the Blue Heron Inn in Castle Rock, WA. My husband and I were so glad we did! We actually purchased the deal from Living Social, and the whole experience was well above expectations. We were greeted by Brenda, who was so nice and accommodating. We were happy just to wind down, so we went to our room, which was extremely cozy. We were in #3, which supposedly had an amazing view of St. Helens. The mountain was cloud covered when we arrived, so we went downstairs to taste the wine and enjoy picking out our free bottle. We chose the Sangiovese, but their dessert wines were really good too. We took a stroll around Silver Lake and came back to relax. It was a nice treat to get the fresh baked cookies in the afternoon! We had brought our own beverages and snacks, so we plopped down in front of the tv, watched football, and relaxed. We met another awesome couple who joined us for a bit. Being our first B&B, we were hesitant that the owners would be too intrusive, but it was the complete opposite. Brenda exited and simply told us breakfast was at 9am. After a while, we went to our room, and it was then that St. Helens had shown her beauty. We went to sleep with the memory etched in our minds. Breakfast was amazing, and Teresa was quite hospitable. Luckily, we had some snacks left over from the night before becuase we woke early and had a while before going downstairs. The breakfast was divine, and we got to enjoy two other couples. We were sad to leave, and wish we could have extended our stay, but we will be back. I had read other reviews and heard the bad stigma a gentleman named Eric had put with the place, but have no fear, this was a stellar stay. Please, do yourself a favor and stay here. We will be back!

Room Tip: Room number # 3 had an amazing view! Pack a snack or a light dinner. There are fridges you can use...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Red Lion Hotel Kelso/Longview
Timberland Inn & Suites
Timberland Inn & Suites
#3 of 4 in Castle Rock

Been to Blue Heron chateau? Share your experiences!