“Saddened By Changes”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Carson
Portland, Oregon
“Saddened By Changes”
Reviewed March 30, 2007

I have been coming from Portland to Carson Hot Springs for the past twenty years. My husband and I have stayed in the former cabins and old hotel on many occasions. I have also come yearly retreats as well as to introduce friends to the relaxing baths.
I loved the quaintness, authenticity and simple integrity of the Hot Springs before the buy up from Korean Investors. Over the years, the price climbed from a bargain of $4 to a whopping $20. for the exact same hot bath/wrap experience. I was told that the recent price increase was because of a newly installed sauna...which I found to be totally unnecessary. Once out of the bath/wrap, a hot sauna would be overkill. My sister-in-law, who is a nurse, worried about the lack of warnings to people with heart conditions of any kind and wondered if the attendants were trained in emergency proceedures.
Speaking of the attendants on the women's side, I found them to be young, cautiously friendly, and not willing to talk about the latest drastic cost increase from $15 to $20 within the past six months. "Attendants " would be a misnomer now that there was no help getting out of the slippery tubs ( no more rubber mats ) to the beds. No one came to check on my sister-in-law and I much less wipe the dripping sweat from our faces or help us unwrap and make our way to the showers. This used to be part of the standard safety procedure.
I am sad to say that I will no longer go to Carson Hot Springs. And from what I heard, the local people no longer go as well.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
10 Thank formerfan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Boise ID
Reviewed January 16, 2007

My Husband and I found this beautiful place after reading an article in our Local paper in Idaho. We decided to go and try it out. We went over the 4th of July and it was the most quiet peaceful experience we have ever had. We just did not want to leave. We stayed in the old cabin and wished they were still there. The prices on lodging have gone up, but the prices on the baths and massages remain close, we have visited since on our way to family outtings. The staff is definately the best and we look forward to the restaurant that will hopefully reopen. It is a joyous place to visit.

• Liked — The Quiet
  • Disliked — nothing it was all great
  • Stayed July 2005, traveled with family
4 Thank rostockd
Kennewick, Washington
Reviewed September 17, 2006

I have stayed here off and on for the past 20 years. The old cabins are gone and the massage theraphist stay in the old hotel now. There is a row of new hotel rooms on the hillside where the old cabins used to be. They are new, clean and the bed is comfortable but remember no tv, no phones and no microwaves.

You go here for the water, for the hotspring water which is excellent. The bathhouse is still the same, old and in need of repair. The claw foot bathtubs rusted and in need of a new enamel job. I kind of like the rustic flavor and my husband said it was the best massage he had ever had. Mine was good too - $60 an hour and the bath and wrap is $15, bargain prices nowadays.There is a another row of hotel rooms which look a little more upscale but they are not opened. I heard two stories, one that they had building code problems and the other was that they had money flow problems. I heard there are plans to build a more upscale spa here and if that happens expect prices to go up. Go to Stevenson to eat. Go to Carson Hot Springs to relax and zone out.
They do have a website but it is a little difficult to find.

• Liked — The water and the massage.
  • Disliked — No place real close to eat.
  • Tips/Secrets — Call for specials on Sundays
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
12 Thank juliebug52
Reviewed February 20, 2006

Dan and I agree that Carson is uncomparably the most natural place to visit for regular folks. We learned about Carson Hot Springs Resort from several friends.
Forget the good reputation. Carson Hot Springs is better than one can imagine. Quiet, no kids, very genuine staff, great massages, and old fashioned baths that leave one feeling very fulfilled and ready to dissolve. After-glow is an understatement. Stay a few days. Better yet, do as we have: play hookie on wednesday and return to work, ready to set the world on fire. Its a winter destination and other times it is a cure for the problems of the world. Dan and I just love it!
Hope to see you there.

Best regards,
Turk

• Stayed February 2006
21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 17, 2006

So close to the wilderness, and many kind folks. The baths are long enough for anyone (both time and tub length). It is a refreshing, no nonsense environment where one is completely warmed and attended to. surprising how your thoughts from home don't follow you here.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 12, 2003

An old hotel, with few amenities in the rooms. It had a restaurant until a year and a half ago. Cabins are very simple.

The baths are hot, simple and effective. Quiet and relaxing. Spend the time and money to arrainge for a massage after the long hot soak. New facilities are being built, as I write. I'd take the old hotel or old cabins any day. Hopefully the restaurant will reopen, it used to have spectacular food and very reasonable prices. the location is beautiful and the trip, to get there takes you through some of the most scenic portions of the Columbia Gorge (Look for the naked lady mountain profile, as you head west, when leaving)

I was snowed in there for a couple of days, many years ago. If it snows badly this season, I'll find a way to get "stuck" there. Very friendly staff--much like close family. If you are in Portland for a weekend (by air) , rent a car and give this old, quaint place a visit. Hint: It is extremely boring for children, you won't see any (they are not there) and you will not have to put up with childish behavior or childish parents. What a relaxing place. I wish that I had discovered this place, when I worked nearby, at a summer camp, back in 1972.

Cleatus J. Wallbight

86 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carson
Columbia Gorge Hotel & Spa
#6 of 8 in Hood River
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#7 of 8 in Hood River

Been to Carson Hot Springs Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!