“Customers are not respected or appreciated”

Carson Hot Springs Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Carson
Oregon
“Customers are not respected or appreciated”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2009

I have called a number of times and requested to speak to a manager and have been told each time that one would be in contact with me the next day. I am still waiting and am getting more frustrated and unhappy by the day.
I had reservations to stay at the hotel after our bath and massage on the night the hotel had an electrical fire. I am extremely upset by the way the entire situation was handled and have requested to speak to a manager about what happened. I have not been given the respect as a customer that I believe I deserve. I did get my money back as we didn’t stay at the hotel that night; however I have yet to get an apology. It originally started out as wanting to find out what happened and why we were not given any notice or contact. We had NO idea whether it was safe to stay and there was not a soul in sight. To top that off, I wanted to speak with the manager about the lack of “porch” lighting outside of the rooms. Each room had a light fixture but not a single bulb. Being 4 women alone we did not feel safe whatsoever. Not only was the place roped off, a hotel room door had been left open as if everyone left in a hurry and our stuff was still in the room. We had no way of knowing if the place could blow up or what. A phone call to explain what was happening, whether it was safe to even get our stuff or even a note on our door would have been helpful. Now I’m just plain getting mad that no one can seem to be bothered to listen to my concerns or even apologize for the way things were handled that night. Or should I say with the way things WEREN”T handled that night.
We did have our bath, wrap and massage before the fire ever happened. We did not have anyone explain anything to us, just point us to a tub and leave. When someone would get out of a tub an attendant came in and hosed it down.. that's it. No disinfectant or cleaner whatsoever. Knowing that I was in my tub naked, that is an absolutely disgusting thought.
Good customer service is crucial to a place like Carson Hot Springs. It would be nice to get an apology but having to force it out of them makes it much less appreciated than if it had been given freely. With that said, I do still expect to hear one, eventually. Until then, I strongly suggest to others that they find a different place for their relaxing spa experience.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank jennasaw

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Mount Angel, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2008

This is a wonderful place out in the middle of the woods to get away from it all and even better now that there are new accommodations....the best part is, though, that the mineral baths and massages remain the same. It's a place I return to again and again. There is also a new restaurant (only average) and a golf course just down the hill.

• Stayed October 2008
1 Thank jgl1
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2008

I read the somewhat iffy reviews regarding Carson Hot Springs but thought maybe those visitors didn't "understand" the hot springs experience and I decided to book a room. The so called spa experience does not exist...pampering ?Attendant? No way, there was one young girl rushing to take care of 20 plus females. Rinsing tubs, pointing to towels, filling the drinking water container from an outdoor water hose and wrapping customers. Unfortunately you are on your own without any advice or directions. Yes she was a nice young girl but totally consumed by her many duties. There needs to be MORE attentive help and a cleaning crew. If there are any signs or directions posted they are not clear or are too old to read. Clean it up! The toilet that is located right inside the front door of the women's side in the soaking tubs room is disgusting. Post a sign on the door, out of order or lock it. The massages we received were the only redeeming asset this place offers.

• Liked — massages
  • Disliked — The lack of any information.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank waterbaby08

Travelers are raving about these Carson hotels

Portland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2008

By all accounts, the Carson Mineral Hot Springs Resort is a place to get away from it all and step back in time. Perhaps that was the case before they sold out and endeavored to become just another golf and rooms place.

I booked over the phone and was treated very nicely, but when I arrived, the staff had no record of my reservation. The desk attendant was not apologetic, but instead treated me like I was trying to rip them off. They found us a room, but they couldn't get soaks and massages scheduled for my girlfriend and I at the same time, so we went to our bland room and she soaked while I went on a drive. Later that night, I soaked and had my massage while she waited in the room. Our plans for dinner out were cast aside and we fell asleep that evening to the roar of our room's dismal heater.

Here's where I get on my soap box:

The resort is a historic spot that has been a destination for people looking to have a unique and time-honored expereince. With the closure of the old hotel and the construction of the new rooms the owners have given up on the quaint culture of the old resort and tried to create a destination resort like Skamania Lodge. Instead of hitting thier mark they have ruined the old culture and made a resort with none of the comforts or charm of a true lodge resort. They will please no one with this model, and I can only hope that the current owners loose enough money to sell the place to someone who wants to honor the place by tearing down the cheap hotel rooms, ripping up the golf course, and build a resort in the tradition of the original.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
12 Thank CascadiaWanderer
Jackson Hole Wyoming
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2007

As a restaurant owner from Jackson Hole Wyoming my visit to the Columbia gorge was a wonderful experience, the kite boarders and the paddle boat that does tours on the river, now that was fun. One of the locals from a town called White Salmon told me that she worked at this Carson golf course and that I could get a nice spa bath, and a great meal there so I got directions from her and decided to stop in for lunch on my way into Portland, This place is as rustic as it gets. Unfortunately I didn’t have time to get the bath and wrap thing, the price looked good, it was a great value compared to places that I have been in Wyoming. I did however go to the restaurant that overlooks the golf course, The view was nice, I was very disappointed in the food quality, My Ice tea tasted sour, and my food was cold as well as the soup. Everything just seemed to lack flavor. My waitress didn’t seem very attentive but she was busy, Being a restaurant owner myself my expectations are very high, The hostess asked how everything was and I stated to her that it was just ok, she was apologetic though as I left for my journey into the Portland skyline.

Good luck to you,

Brenda Sanders

Stayed October 2007
7 Thank rosecollector
oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2007

Fun Gorge resort thats just gettin going. Incredible views from the resteraunt and golf course. Saw two deers behind one of the hotels at dusk. Enjoyed the food and bar. Really neat historical bath-house and hotel lobby. Very relaxing.Service at The Fountains at Carson Greens was the best I have ever had. A must dine experience!!!!

Stayed September 2007
2 Thank luvsstrawberry
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2007

Although the price is now $20, it's still a good price for this wonderful experience.... Enormous private porcelain tub with the old claw feet.....Hot mineral water that really refreshes, and plenty of time to soak in it (and adjust the heat). Real cotton and wool blankets for the wrap in a quaint quiet room of beds.... with a view out on the woods beyond.

I stayed once in the 1901 hotel and can only suppose that the new cabins and rooms are an improvement, if not as picturesque and historic. Plus, the historic building is still there..... Carson Hot Springs is the best!

Stayed January 2005
2 Thank SeattleCharmer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carson
Columbia Gorge Hotel & Spa
#6 of 8 in Hood River
The Lyle Hotel
The Lyle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Lyle

Been to Carson Hot Springs Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!