“This place remains a hidden treasure of the Columbia Gorge”

Carson Hot Springs Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Carson
Mount Angel, Oregon
“This place remains a hidden treasure of the Columbia Gorge”
Reviewed October 5, 2008

This is a wonderful place out in the middle of the woods to get away from it all and even better now that there are new accommodations....the best part is, though, that the mineral baths and massages remain the same. It's a place I return to again and again. There is also a new restaurant (only average) and a golf course just down the hill.

• Stayed October 2008
1 Thank jgl1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Reviewed September 1, 2008

I read the somewhat iffy reviews regarding Carson Hot Springs but thought maybe those visitors didn't "understand" the hot springs experience and I decided to book a room. The so called spa experience does not exist...pampering ?Attendant? No way, there was one young girl rushing to take care of 20 plus females. Rinsing tubs, pointing to towels, filling the drinking water container from an outdoor water hose and wrapping customers. Unfortunately you are on your own without any advice or directions. Yes she was a nice young girl but totally consumed by her many duties. There needs to be MORE attentive help and a cleaning crew. If there are any signs or directions posted they are not clear or are too old to read. Clean it up! The toilet that is located right inside the front door of the women's side in the soaking tubs room is disgusting. Post a sign on the door, out of order or lock it. The massages we received were the only redeeming asset this place offers.

• Liked — massages
  • Disliked — The lack of any information.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank waterbaby08

Travelers are raving about these Carson hotels

Portland
Reviewed January 22, 2008

By all accounts, the Carson Mineral Hot Springs Resort is a place to get away from it all and step back in time. Perhaps that was the case before they sold out and endeavored to become just another golf and rooms place.

I booked over the phone and was treated very nicely, but when I arrived, the staff had no record of my reservation. The desk attendant was not apologetic, but instead treated me like I was trying to rip them off. They found us a room, but they couldn't get soaks and massages scheduled for my girlfriend and I at the same time, so we went to our bland room and she soaked while I went on a drive. Later that night, I soaked and had my massage while she waited in the room. Our plans for dinner out were cast aside and we fell asleep that evening to the roar of our room's dismal heater.

Here's where I get on my soap box:

The resort is a historic spot that has been a destination for people looking to have a unique and time-honored expereince. With the closure of the old hotel and the construction of the new rooms the owners have given up on the quaint culture of the old resort and tried to create a destination resort like Skamania Lodge. Instead of hitting thier mark they have ruined the old culture and made a resort with none of the comforts or charm of a true lodge resort. They will please no one with this model, and I can only hope that the current owners loose enough money to sell the place to someone who wants to honor the place by tearing down the cheap hotel rooms, ripping up the golf course, and build a resort in the tradition of the original.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
12 Thank CascadiaWanderer
Jackson Hole Wyoming
Reviewed October 5, 2007

As a restaurant owner from Jackson Hole Wyoming my visit to the Columbia gorge was a wonderful experience, the kite boarders and the paddle boat that does tours on the river, now that was fun. One of the locals from a town called White Salmon told me that she worked at this Carson golf course and that I could get a nice spa bath, and a great meal there so I got directions from her and decided to stop in for lunch on my way into Portland, This place is as rustic as it gets. Unfortunately I didn’t have time to get the bath and wrap thing, the price looked good, it was a great value compared to places that I have been in Wyoming. I did however go to the restaurant that overlooks the golf course, The view was nice, I was very disappointed in the food quality, My Ice tea tasted sour, and my food was cold as well as the soup. Everything just seemed to lack flavor. My waitress didn’t seem very attentive but she was busy, Being a restaurant owner myself my expectations are very high, The hostess asked how everything was and I stated to her that it was just ok, she was apologetic though as I left for my journey into the Portland skyline.

Good luck to you,

Brenda Sanders

Stayed October 2007
7 Thank rosecollector
oregon
Reviewed September 30, 2007

Fun Gorge resort thats just gettin going. Incredible views from the resteraunt and golf course. Saw two deers behind one of the hotels at dusk. Enjoyed the food and bar. Really neat historical bath-house and hotel lobby. Very relaxing.Service at The Fountains at Carson Greens was the best I have ever had. A must dine experience!!!!

Stayed September 2007
2 Thank luvsstrawberry
Seattle
Reviewed July 23, 2007

Although the price is now $20, it's still a good price for this wonderful experience.... Enormous private porcelain tub with the old claw feet.....Hot mineral water that really refreshes, and plenty of time to soak in it (and adjust the heat). Real cotton and wool blankets for the wrap in a quaint quiet room of beds.... with a view out on the woods beyond.

I stayed once in the 1901 hotel and can only suppose that the new cabins and rooms are an improvement, if not as picturesque and historic. Plus, the historic building is still there..... Carson Hot Springs is the best!

Stayed January 2005
2 Thank SeattleCharmer
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 22, 2007

Big Beef
The spa attendant offered no direction and split for a cigarette as soon as I was shown a tub. The tub had no way to control temp and became so hot I only lasted 10 minutes, like 125 degrees. The hot wrap was very confining, possibly just personal taste there. I waited in my room for my massage. When I came down to the spa house there was an ambulance pulling in. One of the staff told me that a woman had an apparent stroke, but didn't know which woman. My wife was in there and I didn't find out for nearly ten minutes that it wasn't her. That's to long to wait. The staff member told me that happen every few months.
Small Beef
They dumped a bundle building two large hotel buildings that have all the charm of a Motel 6. I swear there was nothing on the wall to distract the eye, the door hinges scream for oil. and the A/C howls like a F-16.

This place isn't quirky, its tacky. The massuse gave me the creeps

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Nearly slipping and breaking a bone getting in the tub, a lawyers delight.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank OldEnoughToKnow50
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carson
Columbia Gorge Hotel & Spa
Hampton Inn & Suites Hood River
Hood River Hotel
Hood River Hotel
#6 of 8 in Hood River

Been to Carson Hot Springs Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!