“No "top Ten" in my book!”
Review of Camano Island Inn

Camano Island Inn
Portland, Oregon
“No "top Ten" in my book!”
Reviewed June 22, 2008

We were very unimpressed with the Camano Island Inn. Perhaps they were great in the past but certainly not now. Just the way they charge for things is disappointing. Read all the fine print. The innkeepers' attitude was not cordial. The entry decor was uninviting and the room (#5) was barely above a motel room for appointments. The bed sheets were wrinkled and old. The coffee was not ready at promised time in the morning and the cups were as big as cereal bowls. When it was ready I, being tired, forgot to say,"thank you" and was promptly reprimanded with a calculated and chilling, " your welcome" from the inn-keeper. I must say she had a lot of "attitude" for someone who should be warm and eager to please. As for the breakfast, it too was late and unimpressive. No eggs! Can you believe it? With tax, we paid over $160.00 for one night and no eggs for breakfast! For that amount money I expect a GREAT, over the top, breakfast. What did we get? A little fruit cut up on a dinner size plate for 8 people, some mini bagels, and a nondescript baked apple something. OK, the "apple something" did taste good with a special topping, but it looked awful. Isn't presentation supposed to figure in a little? DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY on this place. I would NEVER come back. I'd have been happier with a Motel 6. At least I would have got what I expected. See other bad reviews and believe them!

• Liked — It was quiet.
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PortlandTravellers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
adhuber81
Reviewed May 13, 2008

You know how you go someplace once, then when you go again, you wonder “will it be the same?” “will it be as nice as I remembered, or will I be disappointed?” Well, we were here in April and couldn’t wait a year to come back and we have NOT been disappointed! Our room is still nice, the featherbed is heavenly, the view is fantastic and the bald eagle still flies toward the deck every morning around 9am. The sunset was one of the most beautiful we have EVER seen. This visit, we discovered more of the island, we had lunch at the state park, found tiny pink clam shells at Mabana Beach and figured out the difference between East Camano and South Camano! We met Betty on the beach, she is 84 years old and her family homesteaded on the island and she’s lived here almost her whole life. Try Duck In Burgers for good old-fashioned cheeseburgers, fries, and shakes, Jimmy’s Pizza for Shrimp Salad and Dos Reales for Mexican food in a family friendly setting, the seafood there is great!

We beachcombed to our hearts content, got a bit of sunburn, and rejuvenated ourselves with wonderful breakfasts each morning.

Thanks, Kari, Thanks, Jon, and Thanks Joan! God Bless you.

• Liked — everything was great, how do you pick just one thing?!
  • Disliked — having to go home :(
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Seattle, WA
Reviewed October 1, 2007

My wife and I went to the Camano Island Inn for a quick get away on Valentine's this past year. We both work full time and I am also in school so the trip was a short one, but at the end we discussed staying longer it was so nice.

The King sized bed in Room 1 was extremely comfortable and the country style of the room seemed to fit with the environment. The decor was modest and understated but not "shabby" as one of the previous reviewers stated.

We loved the hot tub, large bathroom, and shower, and the serenity of the view. There were no concerns about privacy during our stay so being in the tub or in bed and watching the sun go down with the curtains pulled was perfect.

Breakfast was fantastic, filling, and matched all we had seen in the inn.

This is a great valued get away near Seattle. We are experienced B&Bers, and found that the cost was well associated to what you get. A great value and by no means disappointing.

• Liked — Bed and view
  • Disliked — Decor
Seattle, WA
Reviewed July 16, 2007

My husband and I are both very busy professionals living in Seattle. We were very happy to receive a gift certificate from my parents for the Camano Island Inn for a Xmas gift. We decided to use this in July as an anniversary getaway. We were looking forward to a relaxing, comfortable weekend - time to reconnect.

We booked our room directly through the Inn. They have several rooms and we had the opportunity to select among three available. We booked room 5, in part because we are not big hot tub people and also because the other room, room 6 with ADA accessibility, didn't seem appropriate for us.

We arrived in the late afternoon on a Friday and met with Kari, the Innkeeper. We were checked into our room quickly and efficiently. The only issue here is that we mentioned we were celebrating our anniversary and she made no mention of the on site massage services available or nice dinner options for us. Very clearly, guests my rely on the "notebooks" in the rooms with various take out info and the dinner options sheet provided. Seemed to lack warmth. Honestly, this is no big deal, but worth mentioning.

When we entered our room, the first thing I noticed was the couch. It was this very worn wicker bench thing with frayed cushions. Not shabby chic, just shabby. We looked around a bit and found a nice chair sitting in the hall and brought it to our room. (see photos)

When we returned from dinner and settled in, we noticed that the bed linens were torn and worn through. My husband, who is very low maintenance, mentioned - we wouldn't have our guests sleep with these let alone wash our car with them.

The next day I mentioned the sheets to Joan, very discreetly. She mentioned that - Oh, well we can change them for you. Joan did change the bedding, but even then, the next set were stained and also torn - just not as bad. (see photos)

Then there was the shower. I was in the shower and it continued to make this buckling noise. I was concerned and looked under the no-slip mat. I discovered the shower pan was broken and pieced together with duct tape. (see photos)

We realize the owners are selling the property and that we can't expect hotel accommodations in a B & B, but we were really disappointed. We really think if we had been directed by Kari to a different room when we initially booked - we could have had a much better experience.

Lastly, when I mentioned our overall disappointment when checking out - they suggested I call Kari when I returned to Seattle. Hmm . . . .

The best thing about our stay was the massage we had on site. Kathleen Hansen (I think that is right!) was wonderful! Seek her out on the island even if you are staying at another property.

My parents also gave a gift certificate to my brother and his wife and have asked the Inn to refund their money. My mom was embarrassed and disappointed.

Camano Island is beautiful. The location of this Inn is great. Hopefully with new owners and some upgrades, someone will restore this property to the level it is promoted at.

• Stayed July 2007
6 Thank seattlexplr
Kent, Washington
Reviewed February 22, 2007

My husband and I stayed at Camano Island Inn last March. My husband bought me a gift certificate at full price. We made a reservation in the summer, but had to change it due to an unavoidable situation. There are many rules at this B&B regarding cancellations in general. Some are on the site and some are not. If you have a gift certificate and cancel you have to come during a non-seasonal time. What concerned me was not this rule so much, but was the attitude of the owner when I was unaware of some of the rules. She was "politely" rude to me and I was uncomfortable. I wanted to be kind for causing her any trouble so I made a basket for her with flowers and chocolates. She did not acknowledge or thank me for the gesture. I just felt the inkeeper was burned out, but the hired staff was great. The location is good, I just think the owner needs a vacation!! There are always bumps in life and changes that are unavoidable - I just think it is inportant to find the joy in life and remember to be flexible and kind.

4 Thank suntam
crystal
Reviewed February 3, 2007

Our stay at the camano island inn was a wonderfull experience. Who cares about the breakfast, wich was great, the room and location were spectacular!!!!! We were thankfull that the staff was helpfull but too in our face. I wanted to steal the feather bed in was so great, best sleep of my life.

• Liked — The wonderfull room and breakfast
  • Disliked — It was all great
2 Thank CrystalCrystal
Snohomish, WA
Reviewed January 23, 2007

The camano island inn offered a great get away for my wife and I. We were treated with excellent serivce, amazing beds and comfy robes.

Firstly i will address Camano Island Inn's great customer service. After traveling around the country and staying in many, many B&B's, i really appreciated that the empoyees were availible if you had any questions or needed reccomendations for diner, but not in your face all the time.

The beds were absolutley to die for. Feather duvet and feather bed, what isnt there to love about that?

the robes were also a nice feature, my wife and i parcticularly enjoyed relaxing in them after our on site hot stone massages. the massages were absolutley to die for.

I would absolutley return, and would be sure to schedule another hot stone massage.

• Liked — The service and beds
  • Disliked — it rained
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
#10 of 11 in Port Townsend
Tulalip Resort Casino
Tulalip Resort Casino
#1 of 3 in Marysville

Been to Camano Island Inn? Share your experiences!