“My favorite local breakfast spot”
Review of Elger Bay Cafe - CLOSED

Cuisines: American
Description: 360-387-2904
Description: 360-387-2904
washington state
“My favorite local breakfast spot”
Reviewed December 25, 2011

I've lived on Camano Island for six years. A neighbor told me about this little cafe shortly after I moved here and I have been going there ever since. The decor is very basic - the one saving grace are all of the prints by local artist Jack Gunter, which give the place a lot of character. They are all along the back wall and are definitely worth your time to check them out (they are for sale if you want to take one home with you).

Breakfast is cooked the way I like it. I order my eggs over medium and that is the way they come - unlike a lot of places that under or over cook them. The hashbrowns are perfectly cooked - crispy outside, hot and tender inside. The bacon is crisp - no fatty uncooked ends. They have lots of choices for breads (I like the dark russian rye), good coffee, and vanilla creamers for those who like their flavored coffee. They offer the option of half orders on some meals, which I love because I get one egg, plenty of hbs, and two slices of bacon - I'm satisfied when I leave instead of being uncomfortably full. I've had other breakfasts there and they have also been good (scrambled eggs with spicy sausage is yummy as are their swedish pancakes).

The second reason I keep going back is Seva. She is the waitress you will get if you are lucky. She is very down to earth and is excellent at making people feel comfortable and welcome. She is a big part of the reason I keep going back.

This spot is the kind of place that locals go to and are greeted by name and treated like family. Travelers who want a pretty basic but well cooked meal in a, again, basic but welcoming atmosphere should be sure to give this place a try. If you are on your way to the beach or state park you can stop and get a lunch to go.

• Visited December 2011