“Good food, great decor!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #32 of 85 Restaurants in Burlington
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Lexington, Virginia
“Good food, great decor!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

We decided on El Gitano after reading some reviews, and I'm glad we did! Very cool looking decor, and the people were very friendly. It was a Tuesday night, not a ton of people there, but they we were seated right away and they kept a close eye on us. The food was very good, and the margaritas were some of the best we've had in a while. I had the chicken adobado, spices were perfect,and it was cooked very well. I'll definitely go back if I'm in the area again!

• Visited March 2014

Olympia, Washington
“Quite nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

This was our first time to the Burlington EG, having been to the one in Mt Vernon often. There were four of us and we all tried different entrees. It was all good and tasty. Basic, standard, but well prepared and served. The service was excellent, helpful in recommending choices, and prompt in keeping the beverages coming. Enjoyable. We were also able to have nice conversations within the party and were not rushed.

• Visited February 2014
“Were we just unlucky?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

If our experience at El Gitano was anything to go by, then the fact that it is the 3rd best restaurant in Burlington says more about eating in Burlington than anything else. There is a theory that the further away you go from the Mexican border, the less likely you are to have amazing Mexican cuisine. I come from the UK, a land almost completely devoid of Mexicans, yet I have had better Mexican fare there than I did at El Gitano.

Getting an order wrong when your restaurant is a hive of activity is regrettable, but understandable. Getting an order wrong when there is no-one else in the restaurant on a Saturday night (at around 7pm, not like it was midnight and everyone was tired) raises concerns. The El Gitano specialty burrito I ordered was pretty bland, although you can't fault them on quantity. The margaritas were pretty nice, but nothing that requires typing with capslock on.

Most Mexican restaurants we've been in are pretty family friendly and many are great with kids, but when we sat down with our son (who uses a knife and fork without issue), they didn't bother setting a place for him. I don't expect these places to provide us with a clown, but cutlery and a place mat to make him feel like he's included in the experience is always appreciated.

When the bill came, we'd been charged for the more expensive (and wrong) item that we had previously corrected.

Maybe we were just unlucky, because we chose this place based on many positive TripAdvisor reviews. But I can't say that I left feeling I'd had a great Mexican experience. I felt like I'd eaten a large average burrito from an average food truck in the heart of the Scottish Highlands.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Chicago, IL
“Quite tasty. Happy with the experience overall”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

Standard Mexican fare. We walked in and waited a bit before someone noticed we were waiting to be seated, but once seated, things went smoothly.

Great combo dishes, good prices.

Wished they were a little busier. I always feel uncomfortable when there are only a few tables seated in the entire restaurant,

Highly recommend if you want standard Mexican food.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
“Great Food, Great Value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Whenever I come to this area I always eat at El Gitano. I took my boss there and he mentioned how great the atmosphere is. The food is always delicious. There are so many items on the menu to choose from. The value is unbelievable and the service is great! I can hardly wait until I return in September.

• Visited June 2013