“Quaint, friendly, great food”
Review of Osteria DA Primo

Osteria DA Primo
Ranked #21 of 121 Restaurants in Burien
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 7, 2013

My husband and I ate here twice in the past week; the first time we tried a pasta dish, and we came back to check out their pizza.

The first visit was wonderful. We both had the Primo salad (a perfectly seasoned Caesar salad), and chose different pasta dishes, each with spicy Italian sausage. We also ordered a bottle of wine, and the server was very knowledgeable about the extensive wine list. (I also appreciated the book full of wine labels, so you can read more about each wine if you choose.) But by far the best part of our meal was the dessert. I think they called it a Bomba: vanilla & chocolate gelato wrapped around a core of nuts and maraschino cherry, inside a dark chocolate shell. It was amazingly good, and even my husband, who isn't really a chocolate lover, ate his share with pleasure.

We came back a couple of days later to try out the pizza, and chose the Romana (tomato sauce, mozzarella, salami, olives, capers, and anchovies). Yummy and tangy and salty; you need to love anchovies to order this one! The pizza oven is in a corner of the restaurant behind the eating bar, so you can see your pizza come out of the oven. Thin and crispy, but not like a cracker, tender crust and wonderful flavors. We had salad and wine with our pizza, and the 12-in. size made a perfect meal for two.

I love the small intimate feel of this restaurant, the red walls and huge black & white photographs, and the black woodwork. The friendly staff (and owner) made us feel at home, and we definitely will come again.

1  Thank Lissa M

Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

My only issue with this place is choosing my meal! I go in with an idea but there are so many other great items I get pulled off track! Never a disappointment though. How lucky I can walk there from my condo in B-town!

Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

This isn't your usual Italian restaurant. Unique menu has a lot of items not found at the usual run of the mill Italian restaurants. Extensive wine list presented in a way to facilitate selection of a broad array of Italian wines. The Taglietelle con Salciccia & Rapini was good. Adding a little Calebra peppers made it even better (assuming you like some heat). The imported vanilla & chocolate gelato in a bitter sweet chocolate shell with cherry & hazelnut was excellent.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

All I can say is "wow"!!! This small piece of Italy is esconsed between 2 other Italian venues a bar and a tatoo parlor on the "main" street in Burien. My wife and I found it by accident while we were looking for a venue that was featured on a television show. The place we were looking for turned out to be completely void of customers while this one was packed so we thought we would see what was going on. All tables were busy so we sat on high stools at a counter next to the wood fired pizza oven and with a view of the kitchen. We were greeted and seated by the owner's wife and were immediately served a great bread with the oil and vinegar. My wife had a house zin which she loved and I had a beer that was one of 6 that were on tap. We watched as the chef (owner Carlo) danced between cooking the main dishes and coming around to cook the hand-thrown pizzas and conversed with those of us who were lucky enough to sit at the counter. I ordered the cheese and sausage filled canaloni while my wife had the hand made gnocci. Both dishes were fantastic!! The prices were very reasonable for what was offered and our total bill, including a 20%tip) was only $75 (which included the 2 beers and one wine. This, by far and away, was the best Italian food we have enjoyed ever and will go back many more times. They do take reservations which is not a bad idea on the weekends.

1  Thank shadowlakemayor
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Small-ish restaurant open about 7 years and run by native Italian owner and wife. Glad we had reservations early on Friday as the place filled up with locals by 7:00 or so. Pretty extensive menu, great wine list, and joviality throughout the place. We'll go back, for sure.

5  Thank Fred S

Been to Osteria DA Primo? Share your experiences!