Olympic View Bed and Breakfast Cottage
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewshot tubseattle areaour honeymoongreat hostsquiet neighborhoodolympic view bed and breakfastcomforts of homeour entire staylong weekendenjoyed our stayeach morningalaskan cruiseeileenprivacyamenities
Reviewed July 10, 2010

Well, first of all this should not be classified as a B&B, as there is no breakfast involved. We were notified of this upon our arrival, when we were showed the eggs and pancake mix in the mini fridge. This all took a back seat to the fact that the "Inn Keeper" completely forgot our reservation, as well as the fact we had paid the deposit months in advance. She rudely asked for our conformation and credit card, and immediately ran the 2nd half of the charge before we had even put our bags down. We stayed there for 3 days and two nights, and this was the last we saw of her. Although did see that she had come into the cottage when we left to go on a walk. Although not to refill the fridge or clean the dishes as she had said she would, but evidently just to take a look around. The amenities listed on the website (horseshoe pit, bocce ball, gardens, koi pond) are all actually in her yard. If you don't mind interrupting her family dinner in the front yard, and the laundry drying on the line, I'm sure you could enjoy it. There was no gas BBQ on the deck, as advertised (much to our dismay as we had to then attempt to cook our burgers on the world's oldest frying pan). "Serene park-like", and "private" are the last words I would use to describe this place. The deck is parallel to her family's and we felt like we were intruding each time we stepped outside. This is the perfect example that just because you may have extra room on your property, does not mean you are cut out to run a B&B. If I wanted to experience a rude dismissive inn keeper, and be ignored, I would have stayed at a hotel. People look for a different experience when at a B&B, and a nice view just doesn't cut it.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Chaela27
march11, Owner at Olympic View Bed and Breakfast Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2010

I am sorry I miss placed your reservation paperwork at check-in. It was stapled to the guest’s paperwork behind yours which I did not find until after I had checked you in. However, we had your name and dates down in our registry log and the cottage was ready for you at check-in time. On the confirmation that we mail to all our guests it states that the "balance is due upon arrival", which is when guests check-in.

At check-in we always mention that if there is anything you need during your stay then to let us know anytime by calling us or knocking on our door. We always explain at check-in how we come into the cottage to change it over and re-stock when you leave during the day. Since you did not leave for 2 days we respect all our guests’ privacy and unless something is said we do not come in when guests are there. The 30 minutes you did go for a walk we did come in and clean your room, take the dirty dishes away, re-stock your refrigerator, maintain the hot tub, and provide fresh towels. If you were so unhappy with what we did you should have said something.

In the cottage we provide a book that has all the information guests need to know if for some reason we are not at the cottage during your stay. There is also a phone number in it where you can contact us 24/7. In the book we do state that we provide a gas barbeque on the deck outside our back door and guests are welcome to it anytime. We do not keep it on the guest’s deck due to a fire hazard and sometimes guests forget to turn the gas off.

On our web site on the "Amenities" page there is a description of how we provide breakfast and a listing of breakfast items we provide. Guests usually read our web site before they make a booking through the on line availability form on our web site to make sure they are getting what they want. We also have many pictures on our web site of our cottage, the entrance, and how the garden and yard are set up. Typically B&Bs are in an innkeepers home; and as far as privacy you are correct we are not your typical B&B. We are set up differently where guests have their own separate cottage which allows guests to stay there all day as you did for 2 full days. And as mentioned above, we respect all our guests’ privacy. The description of our cottage and how it is set up is clearly stated and pictured on our web site.

We appreciate your comments and always look for ways to improve especially from negative comments. We know we cannot please everyone and we are sorry you were not happy.

Eileen Schmidt

Reviewed July 10, 2010

We spent two nights and thoroughly our retreat. We loved the view of Puget Sound from the hot tub under the stars. The apartment was clean, roomy and very quiet. Dave and Eileen and their family were very friendly and helpful. Getting to and from downtown Seattle was amazingly easy. We loved our stay and hope to revisit sometime in the future.

1  Thank cldek
Reviewed June 25, 2010

I found the Olympic View on a vacation rental website back in 2009 when I started looking at places for my now wife and I to stay on our honeymoon in Seattle before our Alaskan cruise. I instantly fell in love with the pictures I saw, and the fact that it was close enough to downtown Seattle, but also far enough away for some peace and relaxation after our long wedding planning and before starting our honeymoon cruise.

When we arrived, Eileen greeted us and showed us around the place, and let us get settled in and start to enjoy our stay. It was wonderful being able to get food from the Pike Place Market and cook it there, and eat on the patio overlooking Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains.

I also have to say that Dave and Eileen went the extra mile for us. We had forgotten some paperwork for our excursions on the cruise, and we were able to get it faxed to their house so that we were able to do those tours.

This was by far a wonderful surprise for my wife, who had no idea where we were staying in Seattle, and she told me on several occasions during and since that the stay was a highlight of the trip and if we had to do it over again, she would want me to book the Olympic View!

Thank you Dave and Eileen for running a wonderful, hidden gem, and if you get the chance to get to Seattle, give the Olympic View a serious look as a spot to stay.

Reviewed June 6, 2010

Highly recommended!! We spent 4 nights at Dave & Eileen's bed & breakfast. We thouroughly enjoyed or stay. This is extremely convienient to downtown Seattle, while staying right on Pugent Sound. We could be at Pikes Market in 15 minutes, yet the house is in a wonderfully quiet neighborhood overlooking Puget Sound. Every day we would return to see what was left for our breakfast the next morning. We had many breakfast choices, though we always had fresh cut fruit. The hosts made great recommendations for dinner, we ate every evening in Burien The Tin Room & Angelos were very good. The private hot tub was great, along with comfy robes to use while relaxing. The TV swivles so you can watch from the living area or the bedroom.

We travel often and this is a great place to stay. Very accomodating hosts. We would stay again, in a heartbeat. Hopefully we wil make our way back to Seattle and stay again at Olympic View Bed & Breakfast Cottage.

Reviewed June 2, 2010

I lived on the Puget Sound in the sixties and wanted to share this experience with my husband. The Olympic Bed and Breakfast gave me the opportunity to do this and reminisce and enjoy again how beautiful Seattle is. I am extremely grateful to the hosts! Everything was sparkling clean and inviting. Breakfast was great, we enjoyed a selection of healthy items and time ran out on our 4 day stay too soon - but there is a next time for sure*

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple