“They suggested dessert first...who were we to argue?”
Review of Edison Cafe

Edison Cafe
Ranked #12 of 22 Restaurants in Bow
Cuisines: American
Charlotte, North Carolina
“They suggested dessert first...who were we to argue?”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

....and we ended up sharing one of the most delicious, gooey, chocolatey brownies you could ask for!!! This cozy surprise of a restaurant came up thanks to an internet search when I was looking for local places to see or stop at if you are driving from Seattle to Vancouver. Well, what a suggestion! First, do not be surprised when you are looking for it...it is nestled in the countryside, but it is only a few minuted off the highway...you're on the right track if you think you went the wrong way! (we did) When you see the Cafe, again, you might be surprised, because it is on the small side...especially when you walk in, it is a cozy, diner atmosphere. But great things come in small packages- don't let their size fool you! We were greeted right away by a woman who was fun and cheerful and knew exactly what to recommend...that's how we got to the desert first ( I think after a lot of traveling, our gang looked like we could use a chocolate infusion!). A tall, cold glass of milk and a brownie later, we got down to breakfast! And Edison is SERIOUS about breakfast...Delicious local, hearty bread, fresh local meats, eggs...all done right. My 10 year old was faced with a no nonsense serving of pancakes that he had to fight others off to finish! They are known for their specialty breakfast potatoes that had cheese, spinach, mushrooms, onions and who knows what else mixed in...the vegetables were so fresh and delicious, it set these potatoes apart from classic diner potatoes that rely on lesser quality veg & sit in bulk on a hot grill the whole day. The heart & humor of the place lay in the people that work there...we loved chatting with the two woman who helped us, as well as the walls all around you. We laughed at the "history" of Edison that asked how well you know the place by which floor you remember- there are cut outs of all the layers of linoleum that have graced the floors throughout the decades, and we loved looking at all the old black and white pictures on the walls. Outside, there is a large map of the greater Washington/Canada area with a spot that says, "You are Here", and I'm glad we were...

• Visited June 2013

Mount Vernon, Washington
“Cute and CozyRestaurant”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Just happened to be driving through Bow at the right time. We stopped and were really glad we did. The place is compact and very cute. The prices are reasonable. My husband ordered a breakfast and I had an egg salad sandwich. My sandwich came on the great bread that is sold down the street. The raspberry jam for toast was home made and looked just like mine at home.

We both were very satisfied with the food. The local people were friendly at the counter and we all had chuckles about them reading the newspaper articles. The staff were very helpful, friendly and downright nice. She even brought me a to go cup of water for our dog we had outside in the truck.

Since we just moved to this area, I'm sure we will be going back.

• Visited April 2013
A small town in Northwest Washington
“Old time Cafe - Great food”
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

We had breakfast there and the food was very good. The local potatoes are part of every dish. Great for families and kids as well as couples or singles. Friendly staff. The only negative was it took awhile- in there defense it was a packed Sunday- I was told by other locals that that was unusual.

Mount Vernon
“A slice of history”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Good, honest food...fresh and hot. Try the pancakes and their jam. Yumm. Also have good soups and breads

Visited February 2013
Bellingham, Washington
“Warm, local, joint”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Very cozy, breakfast/lunch place where it seemed like everyone that walked in knew everyone and even though we didn't, we weren't left feeling out.

The food and service are awesome! I had the smoked salmon omelette, my fiancé had the spicy, Thai, tofu omelette. Yummy! The red potatoes (pretty sure are grown locally), are perfectly crisped and the toasted bread comes from 'The Breadfarm' bakery, right down the street, and the preserves offered are delicious! We had raspberry today.

They had the most amazing cinnamon rolls in the case that I was very, very, tempted to get on the side. Glad I didn't though, my plate was sized perfectly!

The coffee is really good too! None of that typical Farmers brothers/Folgers you seem to find in most breakfast places. They have a cute little covered, patio area (was the drive up gas pumps a long, long time ago) for when the weather isn't so grey, cold and dreary.

I can not wait to return! Everything in the menu looked amazing!

Visited December 2012

Been to Edison Cafe? Share your experiences!