“Again, a lovely visit to a charming bit of culture”
Review of Elizabeth & Alexander's - CLOSED

Elizabeth & Alexander's
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Tracyton, Washington
“Again, a lovely visit to a charming bit of culture”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This was the latest of four or five visits to Elizabeth & Alexander's English Tea Room. Had a $25 for $12.50 Groupon, so I took the ferry from Kitsap Peninsula to pick up my aunt in Bothell for a relaxed, unhurried lunch. We weren't ravenously hungry so shared the dessert sampler (and couldn't finish it all), and had our expected good time and good food. The server was quick and competent, and when we chose coffee (gasp!) over tea confided to us she herself didn't care for tea either, and continued the friendly chat each time she came to the table. We had expected to spend an hour or more there and had planned to take our time, enjoying conversation over a leisurely meal, and felt neither rushed nor ignored. This is a place we intend to go back to as often as we can, particularly if we can find more coupons, as it is a little pricey. But the ambience and quality of food are worth an occasional splurge. We like it there! :-)

• Visited June 2013

Gold Bar, Washington
“very mixed experience”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

food is very limited. afternoon tea is $32 a person too much money for me so I got a Windsor torte which was $17 which came with salad and some grapes. It was very cheesy and really not much flavor.and then we ordered bread pudding which was fine best part of meal but then problems started, We waited and waited for bill to arrive after waiting 10 minutes after we started counting the time my husband walked over to waitress and asked for the bill and 20 minutes more and we received it and were able to go. it was close to 45 minutes before we were able to leave.

• Visited February 2013
Seattle, Washington
“Mixed feelings on this local "gem"”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I have visited Elizabeth & Alexander's twice, and both times have come away with mixed feelings. The first visit was with my husband, where we sat rather cramped in their smaller front room with several other small tables. Food wise the limited choices are tasty, but rather pricey, with costs bring more along the lines of what you might expect in Victoria, B.C. as opposed to Bothell. We shared a quiche which was fine and the Alexander's tea, of which my husband absolutely adored their crumpet's and vowed he would return just for them. Service was fine but not great, and a bit slow during that first visit.

I recently visited again with my two sisters for a girl's afternoon tea, and again were a bit underwhelmed, especially with service. I should preface this first by saying that I had a terrible time trying to get reservations. I called on three different occasions during business hours and got voicemail all three times, so on the third try decided to just leave a message requesting reservations for Sunday tea (their website lists hours for Monday through Sunday.) After receiving no confirmation call of any kind I tried calling on the morning of my requested reservation and realized that they were closed, much to my dismay. I called on Monday to report my dissatisfaction that not only did no one bother to call me back and tell me they were closed, their website lists Sunday hours! I received no apology of any kind from the woman I spoke with after explaining what happened, she just basically said "oh yeah, were closed Sunday." (Sigh)

So, moving on I decided not to waste my LivingSocial deal and booked tea for three for Thursday. This place is apparently always packed and parking is a bear, so beware and give yourself extra time in case you have to park in the nearby Country Village. During this visit there seemed to be only one person working in the whole restaurant, so service was painfully slow, even to get the basics such as refills on water and sugar at our table. The food was fine, again their small bites are tasty and crumpets delicious, but with prices running fairly high (over $30 for high tea) one would expect much better service than what we received.

Overall this place has potential, but really needs to work on their guest management and customer service skills. Either they should take even fewer reservations (they are usually totally booked on most weekends) or hire more staff to keep up with their business. Locals are dying for (good) places like this, so I will cross my fingers and hope for better things from Elizabeth & Alexander's in the future.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Currlygirrl
Tucson, Arizona
“Disappointing”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We wanted to like this restaurant, as it is located close to our home. We had a coupon and visited about 10:00 on a Saturday morning. The menu is VERY limited and the prices seem very high for the amount and type of food.

My husband had quiche ($14.50), which was good but not great. The only accompaniments were a few grapes and decorative sliced strawberry and kiwi. There are no potatoes, bacon, ham, or other sides available.

I had the Belgian waffle ($12.95) which was dry and came without butter. Attempts to get the waiter's attention to see if he could bring butter were unsuccessful.

Coffee was a whopping $4.45.

Service was barely adequate, even though only 2 other tables were occupied when we arrived.

Even with a coupon, the price was too high for the quantity and amount of food. Maybe this restaurant is better for lunch. I cannot recommend it for breakfast.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Carol H
Lynnwood, Washington
“Girlie and fabulous”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I have been to E&A's on several occasions, sometimes with girlfriends and other times with colleagues. The quiche and salad with lovely pot of tea, followed up with a scone, lemon curd, and cream can't be beat. What a great way to celebrate someone's birthday,promotion, or retirement.

Visited June 2012