“One Inconvenience After Another”

Extended Stay America - Seattle - Bothell - West
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Bothell
Seattle, Washington
“One Inconvenience After Another”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

I booked this hotel on the mobile site for my husband and two children under five. When I did so, I chose a "1 bedroom" vs a "studio" since I wanted the kids behind a bedroom door. After making my reservation, I immediately called the number on the confirmation page (corporate) to confirm the room would, indeed, be set up with a separate bedroom in the unit so the kids could sleep well separate from my husband and I. I was assured by a kind customer service rep, "yes ma'am, I assure you, the kids will have a king bed behind a door and the living area has a sofa sleeper for you and your husband."

Perfect.

When I arrived after a l-o-n-g drive with my 3 and 4 year old (and I'm 8 months pregnant), I checked in at the front. Jane sent me to our room. When I got in, it was one room--a studio, not a 1 bedroom as promised--but it did have a king bed and fold out sofabed.

I went back to the front desk where Jane looked at me crazy when I told her I reserved a 1 bedroom suite. However, she was nice and very apologetic. I pulled up the same corporate reservation site I used to make the booking and, low and behold, she seemed as surprised as me to see the 1-bedroom option I booked. Again and again she assured me their site had no such floor arrangement.

Disappointed and now stressed about three nights of wedding activities around two toddlers on poor sleep, we went to our room. When I got there the second time (imagine 8 month pregnant mom, 2 very tired and "done" toddlers, wrangling luggage cart with no help) the two keys Jane had given us did not work. I again had to drag the kids to the front desk to have them "reactivated." On this round, keys worked, we set our things inside, and left for the evening.

When we arrived back late that night, tired kids flopped over our shoulders, we unfolded the sofa for them to sleep. Surprise: not made up!! We called the front desk. The response, "Are you sure? (of course we're sure). Well, I can't leave the front desk." No solution, no going-even-the-standard-mile, etc. My husband asked if he could go down to the front desk to get sheets. "Yes." No apology.

He brought the pile of bedding back; one bottom sheet (no mattress cover, gross) one top sheet, two pillow cases. NO blankets or other covers. We made the bed in haste and pulled the comforter from our bed for the babies. Needless to say, we were freezing that night but too tired and irritated to do anything about it.

The next day we were gone from the room all day. Hoping to sleep in a little the next morning we called the front desk around 8pm on our final night to ask about late checkout. My husband spoke to the front desk agent who asked what "late check-out" was. After he explained, she said, yes, no problem, how about 1pm." That was perfect for us so we leisurely went back to the hotel that night for a little sleep-in the next morning.

After another night of no covers (it was on our kids) we had a relaxed morning, UNTIL, the weekend clerk, Kelly, pounded on our door. Upon opening it, she asked if we were planning on checking out. My husband told her we'd been given permission for 1pm checkout by the agent of the night before and she interrupted him and said, with attitude, "no, no. 11am is checkout. That is our policy. I am charging you for another night." We....were...speechless..caught completely off guard. As my husband tried to explain again, she turned and charged down the hall to the elevators.

He immediately got on phone with the corporate office and walked to the front desk to speak to Kelly at the same time. By the time he arrived at the front desk, Kelly herself had just gotten off the phone with the manager (off-site) and waved him off with "it's okay." No apology, no softening, nothing. My husband returned to our room.

As a final hoorah, in our last hour, while we were doing our final packing and bathing of kids (and myself), the maid knocked AT THE SAME TIME she walked in. I WAS NAKED and ran to the bathroom. Rather than apologizing and excusing herself, she stood in the kitchen and asked if we were checking out today. When my husband explained, "not until 1pm" she said checkout time was 1pm. "GET OUT" I wanted to scream!!!

We will NEVER be staying at an Extended Stay America again. We saved a little money, but our main purpose in choosing it was for the kitchenette and in-unit bedroom.

Absurd. Ridiculous. Not restorative or mildly relaxing. No sense of hospitality. Really, really, poor.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Seattle - Bothell - West, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Maddi - Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience at our hotel. Providing for your total satisfaction, from the moment you arrive to the moment you depart, is my staff's primary duty. Hearing that we failed in your case is truly disheartening, and for that, I offer you my sincerest apology.

We know that our guests have many lodging options, which is why we work hard to provide you with the exact service they expect. I do regret, however, that we were not able to clearly communicate our hotel's room layout options to you. As well, that we were unable to provide you with the check-out time you desired.

With your feedback in mind, I have spoken with the entire hotel staff. We have reviewed cleaning and inspection policies as well as staff etiquette and professionalism. Please know, we greatly appreciate hearing about your experience and are using your account to improve our processes.

Again, I apologize and promise you that we are committed to your total satisfaction. If there is anything you would like to discuss further with me or our guest relations team, please don't hesitate to contact us by visiting our website and clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope you will give us the honor of having you as a guest again if future travels will bring you into our area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

The staff is friendly and helpful and the property is clean and in a good location, being close to numerous stores and restaurants. The room, however, is bare bones basic (hence the reasonable per night charge). Be aware that you must request housekeeping service if staying less than six days. No bath amenities are provided, although you can request them from the front desk. My room ended up being noisy. On both nights, people "partied" in the parking lot under my window. Nothing too obnoxious, but just enough talking and laughing to keep me from sleeping when I first went to bed. If traveling with a family, the kitchenette is a nice little touch.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Seattle - Bothell - West, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such about your experience at our hotel. Our business is one in which the staff gets to know our guests, who sometimes stay with us for weeks or months. We believe that building a professional, courteous, and accommodating relationship with our customers will continue to bring them back for future stays. However I do apologize for the inconvenience caused by noisy neighbors as well as for not communicating our policy on basic amenities offered in each room. I will be sure to speak with the staff about each of these issues.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

I enjoyed my time at this hotel very much. Everyone from the area manager to the housekeepers and maintenance guy were friendly and positive. All of the front desk girls (Liz, Kelly, and Karen) were very helpful and always smiling. They were a pleasure to see everyday.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank MoneyMike503
ChristopherTM, Owner at Extended Stay America - Seattle - Bothell - West, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Mike - Thank you for your dazzling remarks about our hotel and staff. We are all extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and are happy to hear that we attained our goal of 100% guest satisfaction with you. When I read your review to the hotel team, I will be sure to pass along your glowing feedback about the hotel in general as well as specifically the Area Manager, Housekeepers, Maintenance Men and Front Desk Agents - Liz, Kelly and Karen.

It would, of course, be our pleasure for you to repeat your experience with us in the future or at any of our brand locations. Once again, thank you for your kind words.
Hunterville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

Rarely do I find a hotel that impresses me. Whats there to like really? I take the time to post in two circumstances, an excellent property or a terrible property. This posting is for an excellent property. The Extended Stay America property was just refurbished. It looks like is was built yesterday and has yet to have occupants. Flat screens, full size fridge, cooking, leather recliner, desk, kitchenette. Did I mention $15 less than the worst Motel 6 ever (405/124). This smells like and looks like a new building. It's quiet and and has new everything, not mention next to numerous great eating facilities including Bonefish a block or less.

Room Tip: Stay here or Extended Stay Deluxe on the other side of the bridge, both properties were just re-done...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ed S
, Manager at Extended Stay America - Seattle - Bothell - West, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Extended Stay America Seattle - Bothell. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. Our company motto is "Excellence Every Day, Every Way", and my promise to you is that we will continue to operate according to this practice; after all, that's how Extended Stay Hotels(sm) got to be the largest extended stay lodging brand in North America.