“Disappointing service”

Preservation Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Preservation Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 188 Restaurants in Bothell
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: The 522, 372, and 312 stop at Bothell Way NE and 180th, about 1/2 mile from our location.
Whidbey Island, Washington
“Disappointing service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2009

I was a member of a party of seven which ate at this restaurant in February 2009. The food was good (I had the braised chicken with potato hash and fresh green beans). That is the only positive comment I can make. I don't know if they were having a bad day or what, but the service was atrocious. My husband didn't get his salad served at the same time as the rest of us, and he sat there for 10-15 minutes before one of us had to go remind the staff to bring another salad. There was supposed to be goat cheese crostini on the salad, and it was missing from several of our salads. Several of our party ordered a second glass of wine and it was not delivered until someone had to remind them. My husband ordered a second beer which never came at all. (We weren't charged for the beer that never came.) We all felt like the service staff was either terribly inadequate to handle the job or just plain didn't care. This is inexcusable for a restaurant that charges the kind of prices Preservation Kitchen does, and if they don't whip themselves into shape, they are going to lose customers.

Bothell, Washington
“Cute little place, reminds me of places in England”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2009

A friend and I went tonight for the 3 course for $27 menu that is only available from 4-5:30 pm Sun - Thurs. The offerings were limited to 4 choices for each course, which was still plenty to choose from. The salad was really good. My risotto was o.k. It was very spicy, which I wasn't expecting. A friends chicken looked really good and next time I would have that. We both had the s'mores for dessert and that was really, really good. The wines by the glass were on the higher side, but not out of the relm normal. I guess I was glad that it was the "special menu" because the food itself was not as good as I had expected for all the reviews that I had read. I would definately go back.

I have also heard that the Happy Hour $5 appetizers and wine by the glass are the best value by far and am looking forward to trying that in the near future.

Bothell
“Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2009

I am completely dumbfounded at how truly tasteless the food was at Preservation Kitchen. The place is charming, our waitress was delightful (though not a "professional" that you would normally expect in a 4 star establishment), and our cocktails and salad (the crispy coppa and grilled romaine) were all good....which made the dinner that much more disappointing. I stayed on the light side with the Pulled Pork Sliders and the soup du jour (creamy asparagus). The sliders were greasy and without any flavor...I mean NO flavor...not in the lime coleslaw or the pork. My friend's Seared Chicken was even less flavorful (imagine a vat of chicken, potatoes, and green beans boiling in plain water all day and then scooped into a bowl for you). My cream of asparagus soup had separated due to the slick of truffle oil across it...mind you the truffle oil was quite odorific and kind of permeated everything else in front of me. Never in my life have I ever had to tell a server that the food was not edible much less send everything back (except the salads...they were delightful). Not willing to try anything else, we ventured onto dessert. Oops. I had the cheesecake which was flavorless, good texture though, and had a generous dollop of sour goat cheese on top. I mistakenly read it to be Creme Fraiche not Chevre. My bad. Now I've read some other reviews and I believe this place may have been good at first, but the waitress indicated that it was an all new crew in the kitchen. Perhaps it's time to find a new crew and bring back a little of the salt you apparently got rid of in December. I will say that our waitress handled our displeasure graciously and had the manager or owner remove the items from our bill and give us a nice gift certificate to come back with, however, I felt for the poor waitress and felt that a manager should have taken over at some point. I won't go back and I strongly recommend against dining there. Wait til it changes hands.

Pros: ambience, free valet, full bar and extensive wine list

Cons: tasteless food

1 Thank aliceohare
Seattle
“Sorry to say, Dreadful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2009

My husband and I and friends had read some very mixed review about Preservation Kitchen in Bothell. People either seemed to love it or pretty much hate it. It seemed only fair that we check it our for ourselves. I so wanted this place to be great and it was not. Actually it was down right awful. It began with our waitress who was pleasant enough but very clueless about the menu. She was not able to answer specific questions and did not offer to find out answers. She was not even able to suggest a wine with a specific dish when asked.Okay, I can live with that more or less. The food finally arrived, but we had waited for over 40 minutes. The duck confit was so salty it was hard to eat. The polenta taters were very very bland.
Our friends who are vegetarian and had stated so to the waitress, ordered a salad that turned out to have meat. The title of the salad did not indicate it had meat. A skilled waitress would have caught their error. I ordered seared chicken as a main dish. To say it was bland would be an understatement. Very disappointing. My husband and friends ordered the risotto as a main course. They stated that the taste was pretty darn good, but clearly either the rice had not been rinsed or the mushrooms had not been cleaned as they all continually were picking little bits of pebbles and rocks out of the dish. We might have said something to our waitress had she checked in with us. Overall we were extremely disappointed. How sad...

1 Thank MishSeattle
Bothell WA
“Nice cozy restraurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2009

When I entered the restraurant I wondered why the sous chef was at the hostess desk, as he was when we left as well. The cheese plate was good ,as was my salad and my duck confit dinner. My companions had; the fish special and that was very good, the wild boar that he said it was tough and the rib eye that was greasy. The staff needs to smile, be friendlier and more welcoming. Our server spilled water and did not clean it up. Little details make a difference in an expensive, high caliber restraurant. My glass of wine was good but overpriced, $11. The valet did a good job and it was pouring rain. The reason I give it an average rating, is because some of our experience was good and some of the experience need some work.