“Wished it were better...”

Jack Niemann's Black Forest Steak House
Ranked #7 of 44 Restaurants in Blaine
Cuisines: Armenian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Bellingham, Washington
“Wished it were better...”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

...because this area has so few restaurant options, but I did not enjoy my meal here at all. The appetizers were boring, a starter salad was pretty much just lettuce on a plate with an overly tart dressing, the steak was overly salty (and I love salt!) and the green beans were obviously from frozen, and completely unseasoned. For those who are less discerning and would never prepare a steak for themselves at home, this will do fine. But for me personally, it's not fun to dine out on food that I'd do better at home, but unfortunately that was my experience at Jack's.

The German selections did look fairly interesting, though, I'll admit. The house-made spaetzle and a very correct schnitzel a friend ordered made me envious.

The wine list needs attention from someone who truly understands wine (it was mostly Ch. Ste. Michelle selections at reasonable prices and a few other oddball items that were ridiculously overpriced-- there was basically nothing here for the discerning oenophile),

Too, the staff needs training in wine service. The wine should be opened and served BEFORE the food arrives. They should be trained in how to open bottles brought by patrons who bring their own in self-defense. (You don't turn a 15 year old bottle of cabernet upside down.) Or, just hire servers with common sense--it's not rocket science.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank UnrepentantFoodie

Blaine, Washington
“Fine Dining in Blaine”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

This is probably Blaine's only fine dining restaurant outside of the golf courses. Food is excellent and the prices reflect it. Be prepared for great schnitzel or steak, and be prepared to pay for it.

Visited November 2013
Port Angeles, Washington
“Delicious, Wonderful Atmosphere, Great Service”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We were there celebrating a 90th birthday. The food, atmosphere and service were the best. We had escargot and French onion soup, Caesar Salad and Filet Mignon and of course black forest cake. Everything was the best!!

• Visited October 2013
Bellingham, Washington
“mouth watering steak”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

we were a party of four, on a mid week night. We arrived with a reservation and were seated immediately. Server was friendly, knowledgeable, and welcoming. The menu is quite varied. None in our party had any difficulty choosing from the menu. I chose the NY strip steak done medium rare. I don't think I have ever tasted a better steak. It was very tender and without evidence of use of a tenderizer. The other three at the table were similarly pleased with the meal. We will be back.

• Visited August 2013
Marysville, Washington
“Classy, start to finish!”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Personable, timely service combined with great food (dinner only) make this a go-to place. We expected the beef offerings. After all, it is called a steak house. The German foods were a pleasant surprise. My husband had the Bavarian platter--a combination of bratwurst, breaded cutlet, and smoked pork chop. All were excellent. I had the Schnitzel Oskar and was also pleased. Tender meat, tasty sauce, yummy sides of creamed spinach, red cabbage, and Bavarian fried potatoes. This a great find in the very NW corner of Washington. Worth a visit!

• Visited August 2013