“Expensive with extremely poor service”

Jack Niemann's Black Forest Steak House
Ranked #6 of 44 Restaurants in Blaine
Cuisines: Armenian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Ferndale, Washington
“Expensive with extremely poor service”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Highly rated restaurant owner with a beautiful restaurant inside and out. Went mid-week when it was very slow. The waiter had very little to do but seemed to make sure we weren't even on the list. Got a cold bun on a plain plate while waiting for our dinner. Did I mention the waiter delivered the bun while talking to someone on the telephone? The food arrived well presented. Low quality piece of beef. Chewy (both of them) and tasteless. Prices were high, as expected, but the value was not as expected. You can get an amazing steak at the Silver Reef Casino for the same price. This place seems to have a positive reputation and I do not think it is deserved. Go south to Bob's Burgers at the Birch Bay mall. You'll thank me.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank OldSam2day

Seattle, Washington
“Better than expected!”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

After reading negative reviews, I was a little reluctant to spend a New Year's dinner here! BOY WAS I WRONG! The food was amazing, especially the dry aged steaks. The service could not have been better even though it was packed! The Owner came by our table to see if everything was OK...a very nice and personable man that obviously takes pride in his establishment!

Blaine, Washington
“Our "Last Supper" choice”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

It was December 20, 2012 and the world was supposed to end in a few hours. This was a great excuse for my wife and I to go have a good meal. It was a very good meal and our service was great.

This was our third time at Black Forrest. We were greeted by Dan, a former co-worker of ours from Semiahmoo Resort. He got us seated and took our drink order. He handed us off to Andrew and Andrew did a good job for us.

I had the steak and lobster special (really, only $29.95??) and my wife had lobster. We split a salad and ordered a bottle of CSM Columbia Valley Cabernet.

Had the world come to an end, it was a fitting way to go out. Good food, good service, good value, good atmosphere. As it didn't, we know we'll be back again.

Vancouver, Canada
“Excellent Cozy Restaurant in Blaine”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We discovered this restaurant a year ago and frequent it every 2 weeks or so. The restaurant is very warm and cozy. All of the staff are very friendly. Mario is our favourite waiter. (always knows exactly what we want.) The steaks are the best that I have had. (better than Hy's, Ruth Chris, Metropolitan Grill) Portions are huge and very hard to finish. This restaurant is truly a gem in Blaine and should be visited. The owners are always there and have a warm inviting smile and take an active part in making sure you are having a good meal. If you live in South Surrey or Blaine as we do, definitely pay a visit, you will not be disappointed!! They have the best long island ice teas that we have had.

Cannon Beach, Oregon
“Surf and turf special brought us in”
Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

And we will go back! Have had a craving for lobster, and it was amply satisfied. The welcome and service were excellent, with the owner checking on our meal too. The kitchen was very accommodating for my vegan wife while I enjoyed my steak and lobster, served with creamed spinach - Haven't had that for a long time. It is quite the traditional steak house. The food tasted great, but could have been a little warmer. The butter didn't even start to melt on the baked potato. Two house made desert choices, we opted for the strudel - nothing special, just adequate.