Overall, our experience was OK
I can only speak to the specific property we were at: the Loons Commons Oceanview Suite
- the property is located across the road from the shoreline
- There is a shared verandah that has a view of the ocean. The living room window opens into this verandah, providing the same view
- Spacious accommodation for our nightly price of $124+$15 for dog plus taxes. Better location and more space than Super 8, for not that much more
- Beds are good. Both bed linen and towels were clean.
- Hosts were efficient and there were no issues with our stay
- Everything is old and grimy. The carpet has stains, floors are sticky on your feet. When I went to sit on the chair in the verandah, I had to first clean it. It was laden with dog hair, and I don't mean a few hair. Isn't this what the charges for dog are for? While it was a nice verandah, it was not possible to use because the chairs were not usable
- appliances, furnishings are old
- Surroundings are uninspiring. There is a restaurant below this oceanview suite, the neighborhood is run-down
In the net, I was not disappointed (except that cleanliness would have been appreciated). The really good thing was that neither on the site, nor otherwise, there was ever any pretense of this being anything other than what the place offered. So, given the expectations, I feel OK about the stay (except the cleanliness part left a bit to the desired, hence the 2 stars)
This isn't a destination for a great vacation or getaway, despite the name. But it is definitely an alternative to consider vs paying almost the same amount at a Super 8: basically, you will trade cleanliness/ambience for location for just a little bit higher price.
Birch bay did not strike me a great holiday destination overall. The town as a whole feels run-down. Probably saw its hey day in 1970s.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury cottages and suites in Birch Bay, WA. We are just a stone's throw from the beach. Our lodgings are your perfect base for shore-line and other nature-based activities. Our secluded location is perfect for romantic getaways, or big family reunions. With 13 units, we can host business group meetings, & wedding parties can use our large Gazebo and barbecues. Our fully equipped kitchens to keep vacationing affordable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Birch Bay Get Away reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.