New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Birch Bay Get Away
Apple Valley, California, United States
“A second home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

I have fallen in love with the Birch Bay area. I chose this bay side rendezvous as a birthday surprise for my boyfriend. The owner was super accommodating working with my budget, and was super nice and helpful, always answering my many questions. The room was fantastic and it was a nice little getaway for the two of us! I will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Email or call the owner let him know what you want and are looking for and he will help you out!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Puyallup, Washington, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

My wife and I spent a great weekend at Birch Bay Get Away. The room was cozy, comfortable, and convenient to eateries/public houses with a fantastic view. We plan to return each year from now on. If you want a restful place to unwind with a feeling that you own your own vacation cottage, this is the place. Enjoy!

Room Tip: For the best view, try the suites located directly over the cafe.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Leavenworth, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

my first visit here but for sure not my last. It was great! Nice and clean with everything I could want. Big flat screen tv with all the channels, which in Birch Bay doesn't always happen, free wi fi in the cabin and the kitchen was well equipped even down to providing coffee filters. Although it was late October and the flowers are done, I can imagine how cute it must be when all the arbors and quaint sitting areas are filled with flowers. BBQ's (several) on site and even coin op washer and dryer.Also if you get the chance don't miss the homemade fish, chip and chowder dinner in the resturant on the week ends. Great service and nice owners. Oh and literally steps from the beach...

Room Tip: I would express what you like ie :view, privacy,bbq etc to David and let him help you chose the perf...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank debbie w
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

I recently spent a couple of nights at this remarkable place, I am so glad that I found it as I will be coming back again and again. It is peaceful, relaxing and Birch Bay Getaway not only met my expectations but exceeded them. A great place to renew, revitalize, de-stress and it was hard for me to tear my self away when I left. The cottages are very well appointed, very clean, comfortable and being so close to the ocean is the icing on the cake!!!
I am happy to say I am going back for a few days in late October, I can hardly wait!!!

Room Tip: It's easy to make a decision as the cottages are tailored to meet everyone's needs.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank VancouverAussiegirl
Vancouver BC Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

I spent a week in these cabins in August this summer.Everything about these cabins and the property is first class. I was extremely impressed when I arrived, and I am someone who stresses about accomodations when I travel. Check in was courteous and quick. I was deeply impressed by the cabin, far exceed my expectations. I kept gasping at my friend, "Oh my god, this is so cute I love it!", and proceeded to take a ton of pictures so show all my friends. The cozy warm atmosphere of the cabins was overwhelming, clean quaint, cute with a rustic feel. And I do mean CLEAN! I am a nurse so I look for these things and I was impressed. The cabin was roomy, spacious and had everything we needed. Kitchen had everything we needed to cook, the bathroom was stocked with a tons of towels and toliet paper yes, this is important to know! The bed was very comfortable, and in the morning it was so nice and quiet, no sounds of traffic or noise, jut the birds, and this was great! Lots of extra blankets were also available if needed. The furntiture was comfy and cozy, and had a big old flat screen tv to watch a scary movie on at night. Loved the covered porch, great for sitting at the table and playing cards at in the evening. You feel secluded and safe with all the trees, yet the beach is only 2 minutes away. Everything I wanted was so close by! There is great big BBQ available [beleive there was two, but we only used one0...bigs tables and chairs around the BBQ to sit and enjoy. Everyone who ]was staying there was so friendly, like one big family, People sharing food, jokes and talking to one another, I felt very safe the whole time, I went with a friend but would feel safe alone as well, great for familys, couples or the adventous one who likes to travel alone.
This is a great vacation spot. The manager Dave is friendly and ever so helpful. He will answer any questions on email before you go and will assist you when you are there.When I got home I phoned him a week after to look for accomodations there for my friends who were traveling abroad, and he remembered me and tried his best to help us!
I am heading back this week, this is a must place to stay, everything was perfect and I cannot wait to be back there this week!
If you have any questions, let me know, but I strongly recommend it!!!

Susan

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MonaLisa2007
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

While looking for a place to accommodate a 50+ family reunion that also turned into a wedding, I struck gold with the Birch Bay Getaway Resort. We were able to rent the whole resort and it became our home away from home for over a week. Birch Bay was a family summer destination for over 35 years for our family even though we had been away for the last 15, and so much has changed with all the condos etc., that getting a venue large enough with the same rustic altogether feeling was proving to be a challenge, until the Birch Bay Getaway Resort.
We were impressed with the rustic/eclectic charm of each and every very clean cabin, and the amenities that were available-tv-wifi-dishwasher-microwave-washer/dryer-BBQs. Awesome gardens and loved all the lavender! For the wedding we were going to be charged $1500 to have our reception down the road at another lodge we were renting for our elders, and when asked, David the owner of the Getaway resort offered his place for free!!! I offered him money which he politely refused. We gladly offered him an invitation to our wedding/reception. Talk about treating us like family :)
We arrived to find fresh flowers in all the cabins and being the bride and groom we also had fresh flowers on our patio(plus a free night in the honeymoon suite and champagne)
I cannot say enough how much we appreciated how the staff and owners went above and beyond the call of duty. We were lucky enough to also be able to enjoy the food at the Thunderbird cafe on the premises.The cafe offered a very impressive gallery of original art work by the chef and pieces from the Hostesses gallery in Bellingham. Friends from Oklahoma bought a couple pieces to take home and treasure. Kudos to the chef and staff for all the little extras and treating us(the bride and groom) like royalty. We highly recommend the mexican burrito, fish and chips and the smoke salmon omelet.
If you are looking for a very affordable, cosy close to everything beach getaway look no further.
We are planning on making Birch Bay getaway a yearly destination.
Thank you to everyone for making our week so special and memorable.

Room Tip: The cabins along the back attached to the courtyard are like being in an enchanted forest.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Tarie A
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

The location of the property is nice. You are within walking distance to the store, restaurants and the beach is just across the street.

Our family stayed in one of their oceanview suites, the Loon. The suite is very outdated and not luxurious at all. The carpet was green, the decor was tacky and the fridge was missing a handle. The view from the suite was very beautiful. There was a shared sunroom where we were able to enjoy the sunset.

The suite had two bedrooms each with a queen size bed. The smaller bedroom had a view of the ocean. The sheets, blankets and pillows were old and worn out.

The living area did not have a dining table but we were able to combine the three side tables together for the kids to sit and eat. The massage chair and 32' led (?} tv added a nice touch to the room.

The kitchen had decent pots and pans. There were very few utensils/flatware to prepare and serve meals. The suite had a coffee maker but did not have any complimentary coffee or tea.

Overall cleanliness of the place was fair. I didn't find any bugs, hairs or dirt as stated in other reviews.

I would strongly recommend bringing your own pillows, toiletries (including blow dryer), paper plates, flatware and knife.

Even though I enjoyed the beautiful view I don't think our family will be back. Better accommodations can be found for the same rate if you can book in advance.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Amy M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blaine
Sandcastle at Birch Bay
#10 of 28 in Bellingham
The Chrysalis Inn & Spa
The Chrysalis Inn & Spa
#15 of 28 in Bellingham

Been to Birch Bay Get Away? Share your experiences!