“Weekend getaway to Sucia Island”

NW Sailing Adventures
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Experience the scenic wonders of the San Juan Islands with NW Sailing Adventures. Our fully crewed yacht charters allow you to enjoy the ever changing panorama while your crew caters to your every need. We offer all-inclusive 3 to 6-day sailing charters. No sailing experience necessary; you provide the sense of adventure!
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed May 4, 2017

Ron and Mari were the most gracious hosts! Upon arriving to the marina, Mari helped us locate the correct parking area and took our belongings down on a cart while we parked. I was surprised at how spacious and cozy the boat was inside. We set sail shortly after boarding and headed through the Islands through the most beautiful landscape and saw lots of sea lions frolicking in the water. Mari made a delicious lunch (and even catered to my vegetarian diet) and we talked and laughed until we reached Sucia Island, where we tied up to a buoy and took the dinghy to shore for a beautiful, scenic hike. After spending a few hours on land, we returned to the boat for dinner, an outstanding vegetarian chili. We watched the sunset from Diminuendo's deck while eating dinner & drinking wine, then headed into the cabin for games and stories. Stargazing from the aft deck was incredible and Captain Ron was happy to explain every aspect of running the boat & sails, which is surprisingly interesting! The beds were super comfy and spacious and I slept very well. When I woke in the morning, There was coffee waiting, which is always appreciated. We set sail again shortly after breakfast and snacked and swapped stories until having lunch, a tasty tomato & vegetable soup; then returned to Bellingham. This is truly a one-of-a-kind experience with real, down-to-earth hosts and beautiful scenery. Will be back!

All reviews
"porpoises"
"sails"
"bay"

Reviewed May 3, 2017

Yes, just an overnight to Sucia Island State Park! ...but what a great time! First - the marina. Loading was a breeze and we got free parking. That is a huge plus for me. Friday was the best day we've seen since last October. Needless to say the weather was accommodating and the trip to the Island was very smooth. We've been on sailboats before, but none have been as sea-kindly as DIMINUENDO. First Mate Mari met the food challenge with creativity and flair. Some of the five of us were vegetarian. Captain Ron has deep local knowledge and on the island Mari showed us a lot of the native fauna. That was some hike! What a beautiful park. Sleeping in a comfortable bunk with waves lapping softly under the stern...loved it! Then you wake up to the best coffee!
Thank you Ron and Mari for being such wonderful hosts! Glenn and Wendy

dimibirdy, Owner at NW Sailing Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2017

Thank you Glenn and Wendy for joining us for the first outing of the season. We are so glad you enjoyed your visit!

Reviewed September 18, 2016

My husband and I just returned from a sailing adventure for 5 nights and 6 days with NW Sailing Adventures. I had only been on a sailboat one time for one hour, so I was a little apprehensive about spending this amount of time on a sailboat let alone sleeping on one. Once out of the bay and sailing, we knew we were in good hands and that Ron was an excellent sailor. Ron and Mari knew where to bring the boat in each night for the best scenery, quiet and calm coves for a good nights sleep, incredible sunrises and sunsets and islands to get off the boat and go on beautiful hikes. They are willing to cater the tours to the guest’s wants and desires. We had been to Friday Harbor several times and asked if we could moor elsewhere instead of the marina and they found the most beautiful secluded cove. The sunset that evening was fantastic. They do an excellent job serving flavorful meals. You would never know that they only have a two burner stove and limited storage space. Each night we threw out crab pots, then Mari would cook up and crack the crabs for dinners and breakfasts. The crab benedict were amazing. I could go on and on. You just have to book a trip and experience it for yourselves. You will not be sorry you did.

Reviewed July 6, 2016

My husband and I spent 4 delightful days on board the Diminuendo with Captain Ron and First Mate Mari. The scenery of the San Juan's was spectacular, and the attention given to us by both Ron and Mari was perfect. A perfect blend of companionship and alone time on board as well as on our offshore exploration of the islands. The food was wonderful, especially the salmon and Captain's Ron own mashed potato recipe. The boat and the bed was roomy and comfortable. Exploring the shoreline of the islands in both the dingy and kayaks was enjoyable. Glad we took our camera, our walking shoes, shorts for the day, and a coat for those chilly nights on the Sound.

1  Thank leesherrie
See more reviews
Reviewed April 29, 2016

I cannot say enough great things about Ron, Mari and NW Sailing Adventures! My husband and I were married BY RON on his Sailboat! It was a surreal experience that we will never forget. We were given the ultimate VIP treatment as soon as we arrived at the Marina. Ron and Mari were there to greet us, eagerly awaiting our arrival. They brought us onto the beautiful Sailboat, which began with a tour of the spacious accommodations. After we were all settled in...we set sail! This was my first experience on a Sailboat, and besides it being such a special occasion, the trip itself will be something that I will never forget. It was a beautiful day to sail on the water and the sights were breathtaking. Along the way, Ron and Mari provided our party with Champagne and delicious hors d'oeuvres to munch on while they gave a fun and informative lesson on sailing! They knew of a very special place to stop on the water in a secluded beautiful area to perform the ceremony, right on the bow of the boat!!! Our party gathered around us as Ron officiated, and we couldn't have asked for a more wonderful and special ceremony. We had a champagne toast and photos after the ceremony to celebrate our new love. After toasting and chatting for a bit, we set out again, this time sailing with the wind and no motor, on our way back to the Marina. We took so many great pictures, it was difficult to pick the best ones, because they were all amazing! We are beyond grateful to Ron, Mari and NW Sailing Adventures for making such a special day, an incredible and unforgettable experience.

3  Thank bbright90