“Large portions but just ok”
Review of MI Mexico

MI Mexico
Ranked #20 of 468 Restaurants in Bellingham
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I ordered a chalupa and my wife ordered the enchilada, very large portions but not big on flavor, kinda bland. Service was friendly and quick, and prices are very reasonable. But looking for exciting authentic mexican food, this did not really fit the bill. The location is handy being right by Bellis fair.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

I never got a coffee refill, no extra napkins, did not once get checked on after we received our food, requested straw for water, never got that either.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Went to Bellingham for one night before flying out to Hawaii for my wedding. I hadn't reviewed this restaurant on Tripadvisor prior to eating there but now that I look at the other reviews I wish I had. One review said that they observed the staff scraping leftovers into the water pitcher, and I can believe this based on the following. We stayed at the Heritage Inn which is right next door, so the restaurant location was very convenient. Six of us went in and all had burritos and shared a pitcher of water, and had some alcoholic drinks with ice. The food taste was average and the staff were friendly enough. The six of us rented a beach house in Hawaii which had three separate bathrooms thank goodness. In exactly 24 hours of eating at this restaurant, all of us came down with extreme symptoms consistent with Norwalk virus. I won't get into detail as to exactly what these symptoms were but they were very severe and all six of us were bedridden for the first day and night of our Hawaii vacation. The root cause of this was without any doubt Mi Mexico restaurant because this is the only food/drink that we all shared and it fit perfectly with the timeline for Norwalk onset of symptoms. In short, there is no other possibility of where the infection could have come from. Im a pretty healthy person and this probably one of the worst illnesses I have ever come down with. For just one person fine, but all six of us were up all night and violently ill. I have not eaten mexican food since and will be hard pressed to do so again. I am writing this review here in good faith to warn travelers. I do hope the health authorities in Washington state have this place on the radar, I did not contact them personally however. BUT reading other reviews about the cleanliness, etc I am not totally surprised that this happened to us. The restaurant looks clean enough on the outside, but who really knows what happens back in that kitchen. If you are reading this, I would not recommend taking any chances with this restaurant, I would never eat here again. Mike M. BC Canada

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Loved it all - mum had vegetarian quesadillas with spinach and cheese and I had tacos with enchiladas - fresh, hot, not too spicy, best guacamole I've had in a long time. And love the mexican atmosphere!

Reviewed September 15, 2012

... and I think I've tried them all. Excellent value for the money, authentic Mexican flavors and ingredients, and reasonable portion sizes, generous without being too large.

I've eaten here probably a dozen times or more, and I've tried about half the specials on the menu. I've never been disappointed; everything was delicious It's nearly always crowded, but service is super fast and friendly.

If you're interested in more than just Mexican carry-out, consider giving Mi Mexico a try.