“Fresh pasta daily. Amazing flavors.”

D'anna's Cafe Italiano
Ranked #2 of 451 Restaurants in Bellingham
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 4, 2014

The aromas will get you as soon as you walk in. Step up and add your name to the self-serve waiting list for a table. Reservations are accepted for parties of 8 or more. The items on their special sheet don't come around too often. If one sounds good, get it. Some of my favorites include the crab stuffed ravioli, duck breasts with cherries and cioppino. Enjoy.

1  Thank John G
There are newer reviews for D'anna's Cafe Italiano

Reviewed March 4, 2014

We eat lunch here about once a week - always good. A warm and friendly atmosphere, with satisfying meals that everyone seems to enjoy.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

I relied on other "yelpers" to help us find a great restaurant to celebrate a special couple's weekend. Hereto, let it be known... D'Anna's is indeed a gem in Bellingham.
We arrived about 5:30 pm on a Saturday night, so we expected a wait. We were not surprised by the waiting crowd. After self-signup on their waiting list, it does get a bit dicey trying to find a spot out of the way to stand (they might consider shedding the one table right next to the front door and making it a benched seating area-I know I would not have been comfortable eating there, having a crowd of people butted right up against my table). Being able to watch the skills of the line cooks, right out in the lobby was incredible and the bartender had her hands full, but was able to fully engage each party as they entered, often getting them started w/ a drink immediately. I would describe it as wonderfully choreographed chaos. I delighted in watching the action.
Still, within about 20 minutes, we were guided to a back table, seated and served water by our hostess immediately. Before we were able to finish perusing the menu, our waiter, Jake, offered to bring drinks, which we declined and he gave us a few more minutes to look over the offerings. Attempting to gauge a new restaurant, I like to go w/ a dish I am wholly familar with, so I chose the chicken parmesan, my husband the lasagna and we split an order of grilled prawns. The starter salad is a basic plate of greens w/ a ruby vinegrette, very pallatable. But the star of that starter is their homemade cheese bread, which I could have made an entire meal of! I was tempted to ask for an entire plate, but as you will find out, I am glad I did not.
The wait for our entrees was lengthy, I will forego too much complaint as the place was absolutely packed (still this is something they must take into account). Jake, skillfully took care of patrons everywhere, including a table of 10 directly next to us. What impressed me the most by this young man's prowess was his ability to both remember and identify every plate of food he brought out, but also presented the correct dish to every one of those 10 at his table, w/out blinking an eye or needing to ask "now who ordered the.......".
When our food arrived, piping hot, I was delighted to see another healthy chunk of their cheese bread, but it was the portion of chicken parm that floored me. This was the largest chicken breast I have ever seen. The preparation was perfect, not too much breading, not overly soaked in sauce and the cheese was steamy and bubbled in a "come to me" sort of enticing tone...LOL I opted for fettuccine as my pasta choice and it was, again, perfect and the marinara was not too spicy, full flavored and topped w/a heapin' helpin' of parmesan and chives. My husband's lasagna was equally delightful, steaming and cheesy and he raved the ricotta filling was so tasty, it screamed for me to try a bite, which I heartily obliged. We shared our plates several times and shared the prawns, which had a great almost jerk spice flavor.
Overall, our experience was second to none. I was impressed with the attemtiveness of the hostessing and wait staff, the skill of the cooks and the quality of the food. The fact that it was only about $45 for two exquisite meals? Bonus...We will make this a regular stop on our forays up to Bellingham and recommend it highly for a couple's dinner, family gathering or any time you want great food and service.

1  Thank takn123
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Cooked perfectly, service was excellent, sage butter gnocchi might not have been the best match, next time I would order a penne in a tomato sauce. Pizza bread with a spinach salad came free, I loved the dressing but the pizza topping was a little weird

Reviewed January 12, 2014

D'Anna's feels like an old school Italian Restaurant and the food is fantastic The wait staff felt like family we loved our dinners The chicken Marsala is to die for.Everything is tasty and fresh .

Been to D'anna's Cafe Italiano? Share your experiences!