Despite the positive reviews I'd read before staying here I was a little surprised at how nice this property was when driving up to it for the first time. Though across the street from the Bellis Fair Mall & right next to the I-5 Freeway this motel has a resort like feel to it with lots of trees and flowers and even a creek running through it. Even the lobby was nice with a fireplace, friendly staff and pretty tasty cookies & coffee. Check in was fast & friendly, we asked for a Mexican restaurant suggestion (there is one right next door but it was closed for Independence Day) and the guy checking us in told us he would phone the restaurant to make sure they were open and then phone our room & give us directions. (The restaurant was Jalapeno's Downtown & it was great by the way!)
Our room was really nice, certainly much classier than a 2.5 star rating would leave one to believe. Though pretty tight, it was serviceable and has two really comfy queen size beds (they were nice enough that my wife checked to see who made them in the morning). The bathroom was also extremely nice and could easily have passed for one in a 4 star hotel (no bath tub though).
I had a love/hate with breakfast. I loved the fact that the coffee was really good and that the eating area was a large and pleasant room that could easily fit a relatively large crowd. I also loved having real plates & cutlery as opposed to eating on styrofoam and there were plenty of staff who kept the food topped up. None of my family was a huge fan of the hockey puck eggs and sausages and the typical waffle machine but there was definitely lots of variety.
I was pretty close to giving this property 5 stars but a couple things held me back:
1) The pool was out of order which broke my children's hearts. This was a particular bummer as we were staying on a hot a day in July and the pool area looked so inviting (I will post a photo). Everything looked fine too but we were told it was closed and there was a sing up at the gate. If you are planning a trip in the next while and this is important to you, you may want to call and make sure it's up and working again. I will say that they had a really nice hot tub in a glass enclosed room so you could still see out, this would probably be really nice in the Winter months. We used it but the jets were also out of order...
2) Our room had a stale smoke smell, surprising since it was a non-smoking room and we even had to sign a form promising not to smoke when we checked in. The front desk person did offer to move us but we were too tired. Not sure what that was about but we're not picky and my wife and kids noticed the smell as well as me.
Over all this was an extremely nice property and I would definitely stay again. I would even consider making a short vacation and basing ourselves here if the pool was working. Bellingham has a really attractive Downtown that's only a short drive away.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The BEST WESTERN PLUS Heritage Inn is a 90-room limited service hotel appealing to business and leisure travelers. As well as small groups. Located near I-5 at exit 256, it is within minutes of the best of what Bellingham WA has to offer…from beautiful Bellingham Bay to vibrant downtown, to Fairhaven district, to Western Washington University and more.The hotel’s familiar look complements its neighborhood feel. And its luxury hotel beds, fitness center, outdoor seasonal pool and enclosed hot tub, plus FREE parking, WiFi, business center and full hot breakfast provide a desirable home base from which to discover your surroundings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Best Western, Priceline, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your BEST WESTERN PLUS Heritage Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus Heritage Hotel Bellingham
- Best Western Heritage Hotel
- Best Western Bellingham
- Bellingham Best Western