“The Nicest Best Western I've Stayed At” 4 of 5 bubbles

BEST WESTERN PLUS Heritage Inn
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Bellingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Vancouver, BC
“The Nicest Best Western I've Stayed At”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Despite the positive reviews I'd read before staying here I was a little surprised at how nice this property was when driving up to it for the first time. Though across the street from the Bellis Fair Mall & right next to the I-5 Freeway this motel has a resort like feel to it with lots of trees and flowers and even a creek running through it. Even the lobby was nice with a fireplace, friendly staff and pretty tasty cookies & coffee. Check in was fast & friendly, we asked for a Mexican restaurant suggestion (there is one right next door but it was closed for Independence Day) and the guy checking us in told us he would phone the restaurant to make sure they were open and then phone our room & give us directions. (The restaurant was Jalapeno's Downtown & it was great by the way!)

Our room was really nice, certainly much classier than a 2.5 star rating would leave one to believe. Though pretty tight, it was serviceable and has two really comfy queen size beds (they were nice enough that my wife checked to see who made them in the morning). The bathroom was also extremely nice and could easily have passed for one in a 4 star hotel (no bath tub though).

I had a love/hate with breakfast. I loved the fact that the coffee was really good and that the eating area was a large and pleasant room that could easily fit a relatively large crowd. I also loved having real plates & cutlery as opposed to eating on styrofoam and there were plenty of staff who kept the food topped up. None of my family was a huge fan of the hockey puck eggs and sausages and the typical waffle machine but there was definitely lots of variety.

I was pretty close to giving this property 5 stars but a couple things held me back:

1) The pool was out of order which broke my children's hearts. This was a particular bummer as we were staying on a hot a day in July and the pool area looked so inviting (I will post a photo). Everything looked fine too but we were told it was closed and there was a sing up at the gate. If you are planning a trip in the next while and this is important to you, you may want to call and make sure it's up and working again. I will say that they had a really nice hot tub in a glass enclosed room so you could still see out, this would probably be really nice in the Winter months. We used it but the jets were also out of order...

2) Our room had a stale smoke smell, surprising since it was a non-smoking room and we even had to sign a form promising not to smoke when we checked in. The front desk person did offer to move us but we were too tired. Not sure what that was about but we're not picky and my wife and kids noticed the smell as well as me.

Over all this was an extremely nice property and I would definitely stay again. I would even consider making a short vacation and basing ourselves here if the pool was working. Bellingham has a really attractive Downtown that's only a short drive away.

Room Tip: Our room was right next to the pool, it made for a nice view but might be loud when pool is in use.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank BlackberryBoy
Tamara A, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Heritage Inn, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
BlackberryBoy- Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful and detailed review regarding your recent stay with us at the Best Western Plus Heritage Inn. I am so pleased to hear that you found our location and picturesque setting on Baker Creek to your liking. We think we have the perfect location for travelers of all types. I am sorry to hear that our pool was out of service during your stay and that your room had a stale smokey smell, as mentioned we are an all non-smoking property and do our best to ensure guests don't smoke but sometimes people break the rules. It is also great to hear you enjoyed some of our tasty amenities both in the lobby and our breakfast room. We look forward to your next stay with us and we hope your next trip is just as positive and memorable.

Best Wishes,

Sales & Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Chilliwack, BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

Well as we seem to do annually, we stayed once again at this hotel. One thing I must say, the new beds are a lot more comfortable although climbing into them was interesting (they have stools available though). We always seem to enjoy our stay here and the new beds made the one negative from our last stay a positive. Looking forward to staying here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Chilli56- I am so glad to hear that you had a great stay and wanted to thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our new plush beds during your last stay with us, and that it turned a negative experience back into a positive one. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

We recently spent 2 nights at this hotel while in Bellingham for a soccer tournament. The location is quite good if you're a shopper: essentially, it's right across the street from the Bellis Fair Mall. We could have gotten a cheaper room at a different hotel, but our group was, for the most part, staying here so we went with the flow. Our room was nice and clean and had a good TV, but the AC unit was super loud. The outdoor pool was a nice escape from the heat and was clean and tidy. The included continental breakfast was better than most, although they ran out of cutlery. Staff was helpful and courteous. A tad on the pricey side, but otherwise very adequate.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms appear to be quite close to the highway. Beware.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Tamara A, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Heritage Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Gareth F. Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Best Western Plus Heritage Inn. I am so happy to hear that you were able to enjoy some of our wonderful amenities, like our pool and our complimentary full hot breakfast! We do have a very unique and convenient location and I am pleased to hear it worked out for your team to stay during the fun filled soccer weekend. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

I stayed here overnight because my son was incoming on an 8am flight the next morning -- this appears to be a former townhouse or business park converted to motel / inn accommodation. It lends a 'funkiness' to the grounds and layout. Large trees and lush grounds override the fact that you are mere meters off I-5 NB.

Recently, I have taken up using this chain after a long absence and have been pleased -- this property was pleasing with a clean, comfortable room on ground level.

There is adequate amenities, including their included breakfast, good wifi, free coffee and tea - the real bonus is location: easy to I-5, easy to Bellis Fair Mall, and other shopping, and less than 10 minutes to BLI. There are restaurants and stores sharing the same frontage as this Best Western (I was not impressed with the Mexican restaurant across the parking lot - and would rate the food as 'mediocre').

The nightly rate was slightly higher than many of my recent Best Western stays, and I am guessing they are taking advantage of their attractive location. It's worth the extra $'s.
Parking is also a bit of an issue as the evening deepens -- and of course there will most likely be the BrightBoy from BC parking his Dodge Ram in a spot designed for a Honda Fit --- and the spots near the front entrance seem to be very popular.

Room Tip: There seemed to a lot of stairs and changes in elevation from the parking lot to entrances -- if you...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tamara A, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Heritage Inn, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us, I would also like to say welcome back to Best Western! I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our unique property location and layout surrounding picturesque Baker Creek. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed some of our wonderful amenities during your stay, including our full hot breakfast. I hope our staff and property exceeded your expectations during your stay. We look forward to your next trip to Bellingham.

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

We enjoyed Bellingham and the hotel very much. Good linens, comfortable beds and a friendly staff, all for a reasonable price. An above average Best Western hotel. Don't get to Bellingham very often but I would definitely stay here again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Tamara A, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Heritage Inn, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Theresa R- Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Best Western Plus Heritage Inn. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our new plush beds and linens. I hope our always friendly and amazing staff made your trip enjoyable. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Kamloops, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here the first weekend in may. We booked on hotwire and were very pleased with our stay. Its a block away from Bellisfair mall which was the reason we were visiting Bellingham so that was great. The front desk was very nice and allowed us to get to our room early which was fantastic. We were thrilled with our room! Top floor, king bed, spacey room and a view of the pool. The continental breakfast in the morning was great way to start the day with lots of options. The only down side was how thin the walls are. Our neighbours were up at 4am and we could hear absolutely everything! Other than that we had a great stay and i would highly recommend this hotel!

1 Thank sberger03
Thank you for your review on your recent stay. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our new plush beds, spacious rooms and the full hot breakfast. I am pleased that our staff was able to accomodate your early check in upon your arrival. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed for three nights last week (Thurs., Fri., Sat.) and enjoyed it immensely. We booked fairly early and I had requested a room facing the creek per other reviewers suggestions. We got the location we had asked for and also a very clean, quiet and good sized room. All the staff from the front desk to housekeeping were really friendly and welcoming and were nice enough to Google lots of directions for us as we explored Bellingham
All in all we had a great stay at this hotel and seemed particularly good for multi-night stays.

1 Thank LostandClark
Thank you for your review about your stay and our staff at the Best Western Plus Heritage Inn.
I am glad to hear that all of your room requests were met upon check in, and that you enjoyed one of our spacious rooms with a view of Baker Creek. We have a very unique location and layout that can make you feel like you are tucked in away from busy streets. It is wonderful to hear that you found all of our staff to be friendly and welcoming. We hope you come back and stay with us the next time you are in Bellingham.