“Great Beer, Okay Food”

Boundary Bay Brewery & Bistro
Ranked #11 of 466 Restaurants in Bellingham
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Boundary Bay Brewery opened in 1995 & we've been making great handcrafted beer and fresh, local food for the Bellingham community ever since! Our brewery houses a Tap Room and family-friendly Bistro, located in a restored historic 1922 warehouse in Downtown Bellingham, across from the Saturday Farmer's Market. We also have a great deck for outdoor dining and a Beer Garden where you can enjoy BBQ's and outdoor concerts in the Summer.
Reviewed April 26, 2007

The Boundry Bay is a local Bellingham hotspot. Bellinghamites love this local brewery and would probably continue to frequent it if they served nothing but swill, but they don't. The beer is excellent. The previous poster who described all of BB's beers as "bitter" must not be much of a beer connoisseur or someone who likes real American beer. My favorites are the IPA and the Scotch Ale, and they do have a year-round Blonde Ale for those with more of Lager type beer preference. Wonderful stuff.

The food on the other hand needs help. You could say that the BB is misguided in the culinary arts, and I don't think I have had a meal there that was worth mentioning. Fairly boring menu, and the food never seems to come out hot. My theory is that they don't cook much of the food to order. My other big beef with this place is that they don't have a deep fat fryer. I know in this modern anti-fat age, society tends to avoid such things, but I for one do enjoy something deep-fried with a cold beer.

Yes, the service is lame.

1  Thank sbackholm

Reviewed November 4, 2006

We always eat here several times whenever in B'ham. Great beer and good foood - a large step above typical pub-grub. Always crowded. We always try to get there on wednesday nights in the summer for reggae hula-hoop night. Not to be missed. Family friendly.

4  Thank skiper2
A TripAdvisor Member
Carbonado, WA
Reviewed May 30, 2006

I really like this restaurant because it's food is simply marvelous. Such a fun range of northwest cuisine. I love the chiptole chicken pizza, and the Spinach salad with berries, roasted hazlenuts, and chevre, with a berry-ginger vinegerette! REMEMBER to try the BBQ chicken Quesadillas too.

They brew their own rootbeer too, if you don't prefer the beer, which is award winning all over the world.

Everyone in the town sports the clothes, I bought a sweatshirt too, it reads "SAVE THE ALES"

The prices are very reasonable, and the food is better than the prices. Great for families, as they bring crayons and coloring stuff out for the kids!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 9, 2005

The food is good, most of the time. But it is frequented by students, and the service has a "holier than though" attitude with most patrons. I've been here many times and I've also had the displeasure of arranging a party in the beer garden. The food was awful and I've never delt with such poor management. Stop by for beer, but most are bitter unless you visit in the summer when the Pilsner is the seasonal. I think BB just thinks it will get by on it's "cool" reputation no matter how many people complain to them.It's also slightly overpriced for most meals that you would eat at any brewery.

1  Thank gardengypsy
Reviewed September 18, 2005

We drove to downtown Bellingham, found easy parking in front of the Brewery and enjoyed a couple of yummy beers. If you like microbrews, you'll like this place. The menu had a good selection of food options too. We opted for an appetizer since we were only having a snack, the muscles were tasty and went well with my stout. Good beer, fun atmosphere! It looks like a fun place to go in the Summer too since there's an outdoor beer garden that has hay on the floor and a big BBQ. Laid back and friendly servers. Good spot!

5  Thank travelpalz

Been to Boundary Bay Brewery & Bistro? Share your experiences!