“Dated hotel but clean with friendly staff”

GuestHouse Inn Bellingham
Ranked #17 of 27 Hotels in Bellingham
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We stayed the night here as we were flying out of Bellingham International in the morning. Location was good and close to the airport. Hotel decor was dated, as was the comforter on the bed which seemed very worn. Bathroom wall had some wallpaper coming away from the wall at the bottom but otherwise the room seemed in good condition and was clean.TV was a pain to use and took us about 5 minutes of waving the remote around to various positions trying to get it to turn on. Staff were very friendly and the most outstanding part of this place. Breakfast in the morning was the standard fare although it would have been nice to see some sort of meat to put on the breakfast sandwich. Overall fairly average place nothing too exciting but it got the job done.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side have much less traffic noise.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
bellinghammgmt, Manager at GuestHouse Inn Bellingham, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. While I am thrilled with your comment regarding the cleanliness of our hotel, I am even prouder of the complement of our crew! We have a great crew here that works very hard to provide a clean, comfortable stay for our guest! I absolutely love sharing these complements with the team as they are what makes our place work! Thank you very much for your thorough review and the candid thoughts that you have shared with us. Please do come back and see us next time you are in Bellingham!

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Easily accessible from I-5, though I did not hear the highway noise. The room was small, which was fine for me traveling alone. I had a single queen bed room...perhaps a different room would have more space. Breakfast was your typical motel fare...though people were making their own waffles, which seemed quite popular. Easy access to all of the lovely Bellingham activities. Safe area. Seemed a bit overpriced, but I think a lot of lodging in the area is. I got a deal on Priceline, which made it a great deal.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
bellinghammgmt, Manager at GuestHouse Inn Bellingham, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Halekat,

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am glad that we were able to provide for your needs while here in Bellingham. Please keep us in mind on your next time you are in Bellingham! We would love the opportunity to provide you a comfortable stay once again.

Again, thank you!

M. Howard
AGM Bellingham Guesthouse Inn

Reviewed October 6, 2013

We moved from the Best Western across the street because the cost of the BW was to high for the area. The Guesthouse suited us just fine and was $50 a night cheaper. The room also came with an extended continental breakfast. They had precooked scrambled egg squares there that you could use to make an egg sandwich along with Waffles and other std. continental breakfast Items. We stayed there for 4 days and the service was excellent and the staff very freindly

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
bellinghammgmt, Manager at GuestHouse Inn Bellingham, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Hello Bob H.!

Thanks so much for taking the time to review your stay with us! I am glad that we were able to provide a clean and comfortable stay for you. I especially appreciate your compliment regarding the staff. We have an awesome crew that really do care about your stay and love to engage with our guest.
Please do come see us again when you visit the area. It will be our pleasure to have you as our guest!

Thank you again for your time and thoughtfulness!

Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

I have never left a hotel after checking in until now. Room was average ... although if you had the window open you could not have a conversation over the freeway traffic noise.....until we pulled back the sheets. A hair! Stains! Unclean!! We immediately requested to check out (with hardly an apology). As we leave we notice a lot of homeless loitering through the parking lot and later learn this part of town is known for transients and drugs. Run away!

• Stayed: September 2013
bellinghammgmt, General Manager at GuestHouse Inn Bellingham, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. We provide clean and comfortable guest rooms, and it seems there was a problem with your particular room and for that we apologize and as this is a very unusual occurrence. Our hotel is very clean, as are the rooms, and the sheets. It is important to be truthful. The desk clerk did apologize, and offered to move this guest to an upgraded junior suite at a discounted rate. The guest chose to leave, and we obliged not to charge anything for the inconvenience. To address the freeway noise, we are ideally located just off the I-5, there is low rumble of traffic, but it does not hinder having a conversation. As far as "this part of town being known for transients and drugs" that is incorrect, its a different part of town. We are centrally located to downtown Bellingham, and there could be a random occurrence, however our hotel and parking lot are very safe.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed one night while in Bellingham for a wedding and it was just right. Great location , easy access to everything , clean, quiet, very friendly staff. What more can I say? Oh and a great price, too!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
bellinghammgmt, Manager at GuestHouse Inn Bellingham, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Islabound! Thanks so much for your kind words and for taking the time to post a review! I am so pleased that our crew and their hard work provided a "Great" stay for you! Please do visit us again when you are in the area. We love earning the relationship with our Guest!

Thank you again!

Molly Howard
AGM Guesthouse Intl.
Bellingham Wa.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Very friendly, convenient, super clean AND offering an excellent breakfast. Fair price, shuttle service, guest computer... Because we checked in early and our room was not ready, we received the best suite in the house at no extra charge! Only the hot tub was out of order.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank j_s_scheibe
bellinghammgmt, Manager at GuestHouse Inn Bellingham, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

J_S_,

Thanks so much for the great review of your stay!! I appreciate your time and kind words! We have a great team here that works very hard to deliver a comfy, clean stay for our guest! Please do come visit when you are in the area.
Again, thank you very much!

M.J. Howard
A.G.M. Bellingham Guesthouse Inn

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I’ve stayed in the Guest House in on three different occasions. It’s located near the freeway and WWU. First the good; the front office staff are friendly.The free breakfast is kept stocked. The beds are fine and the showers clean. The rooms come with a small fridge, microwave and coffee pot. The rooms away from the freeway are able to have a peak-a-boo view of Mt. Baker which is beautiful.
Now the not so good. The king room is a decent size although not huge and one side of the bed is very close to the wall. The queen only room however is the smallest hotel room I’ve ever stayed in. I guess it doesn’t matter if you are just sleeping or the only one in the room but it would never work with my husband or family. The TV’s are not flat screen and you have to point the remote exactly at the right point or it won’t turn on or change the channel.
But upon a closer look…the furniture, bed spread and carpets are stained, burned, snagged and just worn out. That again is normal for an older hotel but I think they have a dirty little secret…they don’t change the bed linens after each guest. The first time I stayed at the hotel, I found a few hairs when I pulled the sheets back. Well, hairs can get stuck to sheets I guess and I picked them off and threw them away. The next time I stayed at the hotel however, we arrived very late at night but again pulled the sheets back and again found not only hairs but snot stuck to the sheets! OMG! No washer is going to leave that on a sheet! Again it was late and I slept on the top sheet and a clean towel as a blanket. We had to leave early and didn’t say anything to the management.
The only reason for my last visit was that other hotels I like are not conveniently located to the college and I figured to give it another try. Location is everything as they say. This time I arrived right at 2:00. I was again greeted with a smile and again they were able to put me in a room away from the freeway. The first thing I did was to pull the sheets back on the bed. Sure enough, hair and well, some type of bodily goo. I figured I’d just change my own sheets and went to one of the room cleaners who was working just a few doors down. Oh, she said, sorry but no, she didn’t have any clean sheets on her cart. She said maybe the second floor maid had some. (I saw her later cleaning other rooms down the hall but it’s interesting how she could do that without clean sheets?!)
Well, now I just went to the front office and said I’d like clean sheets because mine did not appear clean on my bed. She had no reaction, no apologies but moved me to another room. (Some poor unsuspecting person slept in that other bed I bet.) The last room had clean sheets. Unfortunately, the furniture was still stained and the carpet under the bed had not been vacuumed.
For $105 a night, I think they could do a better job. I’ll probably stay again (the hotel across the street run $175 a night!) and again, location is everything. I’ll just make sure to pull back those sheets!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the mountain side, not the freeway
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank KrissyKay
bellinghammgmt, General Manager at GuestHouse Inn Bellingham, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Thank you also for your kind words about the staff and about the rooms, beds, amenities, and the services we offer. I sincerely apologize for the situation you experienced with the sheets on your beds. This is a serious complaint and I will most definitely look into it, and I thank you for bringing it to my attention. I can tell you, we never leave sheets from a prior guest on a bed, and we always change the linens. It is not a dirty little secret. If there was a mistake made, I surely apologize for this. And we would never rent a room to another guest without re-cleaning it from a prior guest moving to another room. I hope that you will give us another chance to show you that we operate a very clean hotel. Please call the General Manager directly when making your next reservation with us, and I will ensure you a great rate and wonderful guest room. Thanks again for writing a review.