“Dirty little secret??” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Bellingham
Kennewick, Washington
“Dirty little secret??”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I’ve stayed in the Guest House in on three different occasions. It’s located near the freeway and WWU. First the good; the front office staff are friendly.The free breakfast is kept stocked. The beds are fine and the showers clean. The rooms come with a small fridge, microwave and coffee pot. The rooms away from the freeway are able to have a peak-a-boo view of Mt. Baker which is beautiful.
Now the not so good. The king room is a decent size although not huge and one side of the bed is very close to the wall. The queen only room however is the smallest hotel room I’ve ever stayed in. I guess it doesn’t matter if you are just sleeping or the only one in the room but it would never work with my husband or family. The TV’s are not flat screen and you have to point the remote exactly at the right point or it won’t turn on or change the channel.
But upon a closer look…the furniture, bed spread and carpets are stained, burned, snagged and just worn out. That again is normal for an older hotel but I think they have a dirty little secret…they don’t change the bed linens after each guest. The first time I stayed at the hotel, I found a few hairs when I pulled the sheets back. Well, hairs can get stuck to sheets I guess and I picked them off and threw them away. The next time I stayed at the hotel however, we arrived very late at night but again pulled the sheets back and again found not only hairs but snot stuck to the sheets! OMG! No washer is going to leave that on a sheet! Again it was late and I slept on the top sheet and a clean towel as a blanket. We had to leave early and didn’t say anything to the management.
The only reason for my last visit was that other hotels I like are not conveniently located to the college and I figured to give it another try. Location is everything as they say. This time I arrived right at 2:00. I was again greeted with a smile and again they were able to put me in a room away from the freeway. The first thing I did was to pull the sheets back on the bed. Sure enough, hair and well, some type of bodily goo. I figured I’d just change my own sheets and went to one of the room cleaners who was working just a few doors down. Oh, she said, sorry but no, she didn’t have any clean sheets on her cart. She said maybe the second floor maid had some. (I saw her later cleaning other rooms down the hall but it’s interesting how she could do that without clean sheets?!)
Well, now I just went to the front office and said I’d like clean sheets because mine did not appear clean on my bed. She had no reaction, no apologies but moved me to another room. (Some poor unsuspecting person slept in that other bed I bet.) The last room had clean sheets. Unfortunately, the furniture was still stained and the carpet under the bed had not been vacuumed.
For $105 a night, I think they could do a better job. I’ll probably stay again (the hotel across the street run $175 a night!) and again, location is everything. I’ll just make sure to pull back those sheets!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the mountain side, not the freeway
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank KrissyKay
bellinghammgmt, General Manager at GuestHouse Inn Bellingham, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Thank you also for your kind words about the staff and about the rooms, beds, amenities, and the services we offer. I sincerely apologize for the situation you experienced with the sheets on your beds. This is a serious complaint and I will most definitely look into it, and I thank you for bringing it to my attention. I can tell you, we never leave sheets from a prior guest on a bed, and we always change the linens. It is not a dirty little secret. If there was a mistake made, I surely apologize for this. And we would never rent a room to another guest without re-cleaning it from a prior guest moving to another room. I hope that you will give us another chance to show you that we operate a very clean hotel. Please call the General Manager directly when making your next reservation with us, and I will ensure you a great rate and wonderful guest room. Thanks again for writing a review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
san diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

stayed here for a quick night while traveling from Canada back to Seattle. We hotwired this hotel and got it for $85. So, for the price and star level, we weren't expecting much. It is located right next to the 5 freeway and after reading reviews about the noise level, we requested and were actually already booked for a room not facing the freeway. After checking in we were nervous to go into the room as the lobby was pretty run down, however, the staff was very friendly. Surprisingly, the room was better than we expected. Clean and the bathroom was freshly painted. The location is very conveniently located and Bellingham itself is a fantastic place. Woods coffee right next to the hotel is the best we've had (wish there were more locations.) The fresh waffle maker is a nice addition to the complimentary breakfast, however the only protein available was peanut butter.

Room Tip: request a room not facing the freeway
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank tinaSanDiego
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your room. Thank you also for the feedback about the lobby and about our breakfast selections. It is important for us to hear these concerns, so we are able to make improvements for the future. We look forward to serving you again when your travels bring you back through Bellingham.
Cairo, Egypt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Booked a Priceline room, rate was average. Had to pay 20 dollars extra at check-in for two queen beds. Breakfast was basic, and the person working breakfast rude. We showed up about 10 minutes before breakfast was to end; she was not happy.

Room was small and basic, but adequate.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I appreciate receiving feedback from our guests. I apologize for the experience you had in our breakfast room. Our breakfast attendants are very outgoing, enthusiastic guest service representatives, and it is very unlike them to be rude. I will most definitely have a conversation with them and follow up, and I thank you for bringing this to my attention. I hope that you will return and come visit us again in the future, so we can make your visit a wonderful one. Thanks again,
Dunkirk, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed on this property for a total of six nights over the space of two weekends. In both cases, we were very pleased with our stays. In the first instance, we had a ground floor accessible king room which was pretty good except that I think a wheelchair user would find navigating around the bed a bit difficult. This was the only room available when we reserved for the weekend of WWU's graduation but it was a good value nonetheless. The first room faced the I-5, but the road noise was less than we had noted in the Best Western property nearby. The second time we were in a queen room on the second floor and it was a bit smaller, but perfectly adequate. In both instances, I had difficulty getting and maintaining a WiFi connection but there is an available PC for guests in the lobby. Lobby WiFi was also very good. The breakfast included in the rate was more than adequate with a wide choice including two waffle machines. Housekeeping was very good for both stays. We will probably utilize the property again as our son's home is only three blocks from hotel. Good adjacencies to downtown, Fred Meyer and other attractions. EZ on/off from the I-5.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
bellinghammgmt, Manager at GuestHouse Inn Bellingham, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Western NY Traveler! Thanks so much for taking the time to review not just one stay but two!! I am so glad that we were able to provide a comfy stay for you both of the times you stayed with us. We have an awesome staff here...truly a very friendly and helpful crew! They work very hard to create a comfortable stay for our guests and we appreciate your comments! We look forward to seeing you again when you travel to visit your son.

AGM Bellingham Guesthouse Inn
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My wife and I were on a little west coast vacation and stopped for one night at the Guest House inn in Bellingham on our way back to Vancouver. Our room was reasonably priced and spotless and met all our needs. The beds were very comfortable and the refrigerator and microwave were appreciated. Our only complaint was the Internet stopped working in our room and we had to go to the lobby to book our next nights accommodation. It was a small inconvenience but an inconvenience all the same. The hotel is right off I5and we could hear the freeway a little from our room but it wasn’t obtrusive. There is a basic hot continental breakfast provided with waffle, strawberries and whipped cream but no eggs or meat.
The hotel is not in a touristy area but is close to downtown Bellingham and some shopping. Just a short walk north is the Washington state tourist office where you can check out what is in the area.
All in all the hotel more than met our needs.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChrisfromTO
bellinghammgmt, Manager at GuestHouse Inn Bellingham, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us!! We have such a great crew, and they work so very hard to create a welcoming and comfortable stay for our guest!! I do apologize for the lack of eggs...we usually have both egg patties and hard boiled eggs. Thank you for letting us know!
Again, thanks so much for the kind words! We do appreciate it and I will pass it along to the crew.
We hope that when your adventures bring you to the Bellingham area, you will choose Bellingham Guesthouse Inn for your lodging needs.

AGM Bellingham Guesthouse Inn
Olympia, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Convenient location. Thin walls are a little noisy. Nice breakfast. Walking distance to downtown and WWU. We enjoyed our stay and would stay there again. Whatcom Falls park and Larrabee State Park are beautiful places to visit.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
bellinghammgmt, Manager at GuestHouse Inn Bellingham, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on your stay with us!! We are strive to provide a great and comfy stay for our guest! I am glad that you were able to enjoy some of our local beauty. The Bellingham area has so many beautiful parks and scenic spots to enjoy rain or shine. We look forward to having you stay with us again!

Thank you!!
AGM/Group Coordinator
Bellingham Guesthouse Inn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Well kept, comfortable & clean.
Easy to find & a nice breakfast included. I would stay again. Not that far from downtown & restaurants. The staff was helpful. Only one issue was the noise from I-5, we turned the fan for A/C on the second night & that did the trick.

• Stayed May 2013
Hello Sue,

Thank you for the great review!! I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and that you received a great deal! There is nothing like a "Great deal" to make your travel day! A great rest, a hot shower and a tasty breakfast is our goal for each and every guest, every day! I am glad that we were able to make your stay "Very nice!". We look forward to having you with us again.

Thank you!!