“Pet Friendly might be a stretch...”

GuestHouse Inn Bellingham
Ranked #17 of 26 Hotels in Bellingham
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Stayed here recently; it is one of the hotels featured in AAA's Pet-Friendly Travel publication. We were given a specific warning when checking in by a not-too-friendly desk clerk: "You are NOT to leave pets unattended in the room at any time!" Of course, that meant the next morning, no way to have breakfast there.

What really got me though, besides how expensive the room was for a teeny tiny crowded room with no vanity space and a beyond-miniature bathroom--there were kids there for a soccer tournament and they ran up and down the halls very late into the night. They were inexcusably loud (I blame the chaperones who obviously weren't able to teach the kids proper behavior). My dog was silent; he behaved better than the kids, who apparently were disturbing many of the guests. The replacement desk clerk (the morning staff was more friendly) informed me he called several times during the night to ask them to keep the noise down.

I think to say this hotel is pet friendly is misrepresenting it. It felt barely pet tolerant and should be removed from the AAA book.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ImagesbyCarol
bellinghammgmt, General Manager at GuestHouse Inn Bellingham, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. I apologize that your experience while staying at our hotel was not pleasing. To address some of your concerns, yes we are pet friendly, and the pet form and rules is standard in the industry. I also want to apologize about the Soccer team that disturbed you during your stay. We try our best to control the atmosphere, notify the chaparones, monitor the hallways, and enforce our rules throughout the property. And for the housekeeping issues you experienced, I offer my sincrerest apology, and wish to tell you that these issues have been addressed, and thank you again for informing me. I would also love a chance to redeem ourselves and give you the experience you deserve on a return trip to the Bellingham area, so please feel free to contact me.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

We stayed here for our daughter`s weekend soccer tournament as part of a club group booking and expected the worst based on location (almost on top of the I-5) and exterior (no architectural prizes coming anytime soon). However, we were pleasantly surprised. Firstly, the location did not result in any outside road noise - at least not on the east side where we were staying. We heard barely a sound from outside (even with the window open) and nothing inside (despite a number of kids staying in the hotel due to the tournament). The walls are concrete I think, meaning no noise from adjacent rooms so privacy is not an issue. The outside may not look great but there is plenty of parking and it is in easy reach to the freeway (one block) and across the road from a Fred Meyer store. The complimentary breakfast was well stocked with cereal, pastries, toast and a fresh waffle maker. There was also some pre-cooked hot food like bacon, eggs and hash brown patties that could be heated in a microwave (shudder). Overall, we found the food good and well stocked although the eating room was small which led to crowding and many guests taking food back to their rooms. The desk staff were friendly and did not seem phased when they could not locate our booking made several weeks earlier. They did not even question the room rate I was offered when I made the original booking, despite knowing that rooms in the area were going at significantly higher rates due to tournament demand (kudos for respecting my honesty and recognizing their booking process was not perfect). Their is no pool here but they have a hot tub, although it was out of service during our stay. Overall, a good experience and while it is unlikely we will stay in Bellingham a lot due to proximity to home, we would certainly consider this location for any future stays. Surprisingly good.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side may be noiser due to proximity to the I-5. Also suggest stay upstairs as seve...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
bellinghammgmt, General Manager at GuestHouse Inn Bellingham, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel, and thank you so very much for your kind words. I am glad wesuprised you, and that we achieved our goal of delivering a comfortable guest room with excellent customer service. There is no feeling that compares to that of a satsified guest. We all look forward to serving you on your next trip to Bellingham.

Reviewed June 16, 2012

Our second Guesthouse 'cause I found $69 rates on the internet and we really liked the one in Wilsonville, OR. This was equally as good. We booked 2 rooms.
Many outlets, power strips, towels, toiletries, iron/board. Easy remote for TV. Good lighting, AC. Microwave and fridge. Coffee. Hair dryer. Plenty of maps and tourist info in the lobby.
The lobby also had a computer and printer available for guests. I used it to print out my upcoming itinerary and boarding passes.
Outstanding breakfast choices. The breakfast room was a blast. Met people from the Netherlands and Canada (of course).
The only negatives: A a desk clerk who was putting pending charges of various amounts on my credit card. Another clerk quickly removed them. Note...It is their policy to charge your card upfront for all the days you might stay.
I used my coffeepot the first day, and housekeeping never cleaned the coffeepot or put out fresh supplies during the 4 days I was there. Not a problem because I preferred having coffee with other guests in the breakfast room. Still....
The room wasn't vacuumed during that time either.
Oh, and my room overlooked the roof of the Chinese buffet, but the homemade cookies at the front desk made up for that issue :)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded June 21, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. We appreciate your kind words about your visit. Thank you for your honesty also, regarding the credit card issue you expereinced, and to answer your question, yes, it is hotel policy to authorize a guests credit card for the full amount of the stay at check-in time, and that is the general standard operating procedure at most hotels. However, I still apologize for any confusion or inconvenience that caused. We look forward to serving you on your next visit to Bellingham.

Reviewed June 2, 2012

I have a kid at the university here and have stayed at a few of the hotels. You can get a really good price on a room in Bellingham, but often you get what you pay for. My room here had everything you need, including a pretty large fridge and a small microwave. The TV was nice and the bed fine. It was clean and the staff was very nice. It even has a decent indoor hot tub. I'll stay here fron now on. BTW- it's across the street from a big grocery store and several restaurants. Good location.

Room Tip: I think my room was a category above basic, I would recommend it.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank WetAndCold
Management response:Responded June 21, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind words and taking the time to review our hotel. We look forawrd to serving you on your next visit to Bellingham and Western Washington University. GO VIKINGS!

Reviewed May 22, 2012

Three girlfriends and I stayed here for 3 nights over the Victoria Day long weekend. Although when we booked the rooms 2 months ago we requested adjoining rooms, upon check-in were told none were available. No offer of reduction to our bill was given.

One of us had to fly out of Bellingham airport on the Monday so Sunday evening she approached two female employees outside the lobby to ask about the hotel shuttle. The older of the two was the night manager and the way she responded to my friend was unnecessarily rude and inappropriate (including profanity). Although she had said she would put her name down on the shuttle list we had the feeling she wouldn't, so she checked the next morning when there was also another person working the front desk with this woman. Sure enough, her name was not on the list.

That same day all of our keycards had quit working although we were staying another night. When this same friend went to the desk to have her card re-set this woman was again nasty, unhelpful and unprofessional towards her.

The rest of the staff was very courteous, but the woman working the front desk that night was beyond out of line and we will not be returning.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank PHB48
Management response:Responded June 21, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I would like to apologize for customer service you experienced while staying with us. We have a wonderful staff, who normally deliver excellent guest service, and I was very suprised to hear this, and disapponted as well, as we failed to deliver our promise. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I am so sorry to hear that you will not be returning, however I would still wish to extend a personal invitation to give us another opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed May 21, 2012

I stayed at the Bellingham GuestHouse Inn this past weekend. I have a corporate account, which is direct billed to the corporation. They took my card "for incidentals." There were no "incidentals," so nothing should have been charged to my card. Not only was my card charged for the stay - so was the corporate account. Now I am told it may take TEN business days to straighten it out. If I hadn't caught it on my account myself, they told me they would not have contacted me, even as a courtesy. The desk manager was quite condescending and rude about the "mistake." Further compounding my low review of the hotel was the fact that upon my return to my room on Saturday late afternoon, my room had not been touched. Bed unmade, no towels, etc. When I called the front desk, I was told housekeeping was gone, and "what was I supposed to do about it?" I was flabbergasted. I asked if it was policy that rooms are not serviced during a stay and was told, "no, but sometimes they run out of time." Really?? I asked about towels. I was told "you can come get towels, if you really need them." Really???? So, I went downstairs to get towels, as requested. NO ONE WAS AT THE FRONT DESK - there was a little sign saying the desk clerk was gone. I had to wait 10 minutes for someone to show up. An extremely disappointing stay, as far as customer service and being double billed is concerned. The room itself was pretty decent. WILL NOT STAY THERE AGAIN, just based upon the CS and the attitude regarding clientele.

Room Tip: If you are on a corporate account, demand to see a copy of your card receipt and see the reversal pr...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Cyndi S
Management response:Responded June 21, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I would like to apologize for failing to deliver our promise of a clean and comfortable guest room with wonderful guest service. Your room, however, was not double charged. It was charged incorrectly to your personal credit card, which was a clerical error, and we caught the mistake that day, and charged the company correctly. Since the charge had already posted to your account, we issued a refund immediately. Unfortunately, the timing of a refund could take up 5-10 business days, depending on your bank. I would also like to apologize for the guest service and lack of cleaning services that happened during your stay. Great customer service is one of our standards, and I take all these concerns very seriously. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Please contact me directly so I may invite you to give us another opportunity to make it up to you.

Reviewed May 15, 2012

We came up to Bellingham to visit our daughter [WWU student] for Mother's Day. From the moment we walked in, everyone was really nice and helpful. We got in an hour and a half before check-in time and they were apologetic about the room not being ready. There was no reason to be - we were early.

Once in, we had a room that was on the second floor - near the elevator and stairs, which was handy for someone with some mobility issues and a service dog. The room itself was clean and comfortable. The mattresses were pretty firm, but gave us a very good night's sleep. Towels in the bathroom were plentiful, as were the amenities provided.

Temperature control in the room was excellent. The heater/AC couldd be set in 2 degree increments. Kudos to the Guest House Inn for this. It made for what may be the best night's sleep I've had in Bellingham.

We were on the I5 side of the hotel. We had no problems. Even with the AC/heater off, but having it on made for something of "white noise" - and noise concerns were a non-issue.

The breakfast was convenient and plentiful - we enjoyed it. I recommend making half a waffle and then using that with a slice of cheese and egg to make a breakfast sandwich - very yummy! We appreciated that they had decaf coffee available at breakfast and in the lobby at other times. You should know that the area was kept really clean and was relaxing place to eat and chat with family.

This is a pet-friendly hotel, and the charge is minimal and the best I've seen at any hotel. There are grassy areas around the hotel and garbage cans close by so pet parents can properly dispose of waste bags.Above all this, Max [our service dog] was always met with smiles and kind comments. This makes for a calm dog that isn't yappy.

The hotel is located conveniently off I5 and near restaurants and grocery stores.

Consider staying here when you travel to Bellingham - you'll be glad you did!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded June 21, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel, and thank you so very much for your kind words. I am glad to hear we achieved our goal of delivering a comfortable guest room with excellent customer service. There is no feeling that compares to that of a satsified guest, and I thank you for that! We all look forward to serving you on your next trip to Bellingham.