“Not your typical Mexican restaurant”
Review of Dos Padres Restaurant - CLOSED

Dos Padres Restaurant
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Bar scene, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed April 15, 2014

If you're in the mood for something other than your typical bland Mexican smothered in runny beans and yellow rice you might want to give Dos Padres a try. Their food is nicely spiced, plenty of rich sauces, tasty vegetarian beans and rice, and very generous portions. Their salsa is chunky and flavorful and you can purchase jars to take home! One of my favorites is their 7 layer tostada salad- bet you can't eat the whole thing, and the Dos Padres Taco salad is like nothing you've ever tasted before. Don't expect to find one like it anywhere else. The bar scene is casual, friendly, and the drinks are awesome! They have THE best margaritas and the coldest beer in town. The service is good and the decor is not painted on the walls. Love all their antiques!

Reviewed March 9, 2014

I was on a road trip through Washington state a couple of weeks ago and stopped at Dos Padres for some lunch.
It is a bit of a drive off the I-5 but totally worth it and a much better option than a diner at the side of the highway.
I had a chile relleno and a Dos Equiis and that was great.
But the customer service was even better.
I travel on my own a lot and I know that many servers tend to ignore you if you are alone, I guess because there won't be a big tip in the aftermath. Both the bartender and the waitress helped me out and brought me extra salsa and made recommendations and it was a refreshing change to be treated like a valued customer.
I would go back to Dos Padres in a heart beat.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

This place is about a mile from my house, and I've been going there for almost 30 years. I go for the salad. Period. The salad isn't going to win any awards for blow-your-socks-off excellence, but it's unique and to me uniquely satisfying. Over the decades I have ordered other things on the menu every year or three, and am never disappointed or surprised-- other than the salad their entrees tend to be dense, vaguely formed, and indifferently spiced. Think of a 2-pound wad of meat wrapped in a soggy flour tortilla with a Mexican-ish sauce adding a little more sogginess and further blurring the lines of what's on your plate. To their credit, they don't do the traditional Bad Mexican Food thing of smothering everything with cheddar cheese. In fact, I do appreciate that their takes on traditional Mexican entrees is singularly theirs. I just wish they thought it out a little more with their seasonings and executed a little better with the texture and mouth-feel of their dishes. Still, I love them for who they are, and as long as they have their Dos Padres Salad I'll keep going back.

1  Thank FloydZurfluh
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We have been here many, many times, but noticed on the last two visits that it's not as good as it used to be. Today's nachos were very soggy, with less flavour than usual. My wife's special flauta weren't so special - she didn't finish them. Time for a new Mexican experience, I think.

1  Thank Kevan R
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We've been driving down to Dos Padres a couple times a month for the past couple of years, and it has never disappointed. The food is spectacular (especially the chimichanga's and taco salads!!!), the atmosphere is fun and relaxed, and the staff is amazing and very friendly. I would highly recommend this place.