“Beautiful setting on the deck for happy hour”
Review of Cliff House - CLOSED

Cliff House
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We will be CLOSING our doors at the end of 2016 to do some major renovations. The 31st will be our LAST DAY OPEN until further notice! Owned by the same family for 45 years. We strive to use only LOCAL ingredients as well as serve the farm to table standards !
Reviewed April 29, 2014

The Cliff House has a great view of Bellingham harbor from the deck. We enjoyed Happy Hour (4:30 - 6:30 & all day Sunday). They offer a variety of appetizers: oysters (fresh) & fried - delicious. Prawns with coconut were also tasty with a dipping sauce. Crab, artichoke & shrimp dip was also good. We were disappointed in the fish tacos as the fish was NOT fresh.
Comfortable bar area indoors also.

A surprise was that the restrooms were down a flight of 16 steps - a challenge to some elderly folks.

It was relaxing - did not stay for dinner.

1  Thank laarrowhd
There are newer reviews for Cliff House

Reviewed March 29, 2014

My wife and I went to the Cliff House with another couple. We started off with the whiskey chowder soup and a caesar salad. The soup was excellent and the salad was better than average. I kept saying why haven't we tried this place before. I then ordered a New York steak and my wife ordered halibut. Our friends who recommended this place also ordered. My steak was probably the worst I had ever had and my wifes halibut was overcooked and dried out. I would only recommend going there and sitting in the lounge enjoying the view and having a prawn cocktail , the whiskey chowder soup and a salad.

1  Thank Mike P
Reviewed December 10, 2013

It was our anniversary and we were deciding where to go. We have history in many restaurants near home. Decided to try the Cliff House again We had been there for drinks and appetizers a few times this year and were not thrilled with the service. Nothing sours a dining experience no matter how sweet the view is than a surly wait person!!
This evening we had a very pleasant experience. The salad was great and the whiskey crab soup as good as I remembered. They served a white bred instead of the delightful brown bread from years past so that was disappointing. My husband;s steak was done perfectly. My chicken covered in crab and bernaise sauce was amazing. A fair amount of crab and the sauce was light. The dessert was ok. Peanut butter pie. Our waitress was lovely and the service was great.
Good to see that this place still has charm and is still special enough for an important evening.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Cliff House is a dated, throwback kind of place tucked off the beaten path in a residential neighborhood. The best thing it offers is the view. The next best thing would be a perfectly grilled steak or chunk of fresh fish, which they do very well.

After that it's downhill.

And that's because this is a Hunk O' Meat (well, or fish) restaurant at heart. You choose your meat and then you choose your carbs from the usual suspects of rice and baked potato. It is NOT a chef's restaurant, not a place where dishes are carefully composed from the best local ingredients. The few specials they do offer in an attempt at upscale combining have been in my experience heavy/clumsy--usually a baked fish of some kind buried under a sauce tasting of a Knorr's package mix bulked out with extra cream, cheese and butter.

The whisky crab soup is famous here, but I think that owes a lot to the fact that if you order the soup then you're saved the embarrassment of making the trip to the salad bar. Yes, a salad bar. Like at The Sizzler. You thought there weren't any more salad bars, but you're wrong! The Tradition That Never Should Have Been is alive and well at The Cliff House, complete with all the cliche components: the manufactured salad dressings, croutons out of a box, and the glass "sneeze plate" that's supposed to catch all the germs being spewed by your not-so-well fellow diners.

Ewwwwwww.

So go for the view. Go for the full-service bar. Go for a great piece of fresh grilled salmon and the whiskey crab soup. Or go because you live down the street and it's close.

Just don't expect great dining, because it's not here.

1  Thank UnrepentantFoodie
Reviewed October 18, 2013

If only the food and service matched the view. My wife had the whiskey crab soup and the halibut. I had baked oyster and a shellfish medley in wine sauce. Every dish was a pale imitation of what you find in a good seafood restaurant. Bland boring and overpriced. Very overpriced. We spent double or triple what we are paying in Phoenix restaurants. And we are getting better seafood here. Stay away

2  Thank Gilbertsunsfan