“A Sandwich by another name...”

Skylarks Hidden Cafe
Ranked #8 of 457 Restaurants in Bellingham
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 30, 2011

Awful!!! Awful service. Waitress sat us and after providing a glass of water and menus, it was 20 minutes before we ordered. 55 minutes later!!! Yes, 55 minutes later we received our two cold sandwiches~~ egg salad and a chicken breast on mufalta bread...both breads were tired...at least day old but perhaps longer. My egg salad had a tomato in it with no mayo and unbuttered....I could barely swallow half the sandwich. My wife's bread fell apart it was so old...and the chicken breast meat was store-bought sliced chicken and the advertised romaine lettuce was simply iceberg lettuce. She never returned to inquire as to how our lunches were...and it took 40 minutes to bring us our 2nd glass of water...6 people who entered after us received their meals before us. Never returning here again. Those of you that wrote 4 & 5 stars....you were lying!!!

Reviewed December 26, 2011

December 26, 2011
I belong to a group of 14-16 people who meet at Skylark's for breakfast once a month. We are delighted by the service and quality of the food. Skylark's has a excellent menu and includes inexpensive and moderately prices selections to satisfy both the light and the hearty eater. The cooks do an exceptional job of getting our group's food out to us in a timely manner. The service is wonderful and we never want for anything while we are there. Check it out! You'll be happy you did. (My husband and I stop for breakfast, coffee and a treat, or lunch there regularly during the month, too.0

Reviewed November 19, 2011

Restaurants have to serve good chowder in the Pacific Northwest--and we've found Skylarks' to be one of the very best in the area. It's always fresh and not too soupy and not too thick. It makes a great lunch, though there also good sandwiches. Service is especially personable. We've found that servers always remember what we like to drink and eat. Great value in Fairhaven.

Reviewed November 18, 2011

This Fairhaven area denizen gave me a pleasant feeling in every way. The building boasts a half-floor upstairs and the owners have redecorated with very nice dark banister there and matching dark oak mirrored bar. In the rear area the fire in a nice free-standing stove crackles and provided warmth on an extremely chilly day. I tired the homemade chicken and avocado cream soup and homemade foccacia bread, which hit the spot, tasted divine, and cost less than I would have expected. Breakfast items appeared to plentiful and ranged from the usual to nicer items such as Eggs Benedict.

Reviewed November 9, 2011

I discovered Skylarks while looking for a retirement community with my father. We decided to grab a quick brunch, and ducked into this cafe during our troll around the Old Fairhaven district of Bellingham. The quaint brick front disguised a surprisingly spacious cafe with a wonderful ambience created by dark wood panelling, vintage mirrors and pictures, and a fireplace surmounted by a dark wood mantel. After a stroll past the cafe-style tables-and-chairs area opposite the dark wood bar, we found a set of stairs leading down to cosy booths with a garden terrace view. We immediately commandeered a booth, and got to work on the menu. We were impressed by the variety of gourmet omelets the cafe offered, and my father was over-the-moon to find out he could acquire a draught micro-brew beer to have with his omelet! The service was friendly, and the food was delicious! Skylarks became a family tradition, and even after I lost my father, I continued to bring friends and family there,
as it never dissappointed in its good food and warm atmosphere. My husband and I also attended its once-a-month wine tasting - definitely worth getting a hotel room nearby for the expertise of the sommelier and the gourmet appetizers Skylarks supplies! Skylarks is a great starting, mid-point, or finish for a day of exploring the beautiful and historic Fairhaven district of Bellingham.

Been to Skylarks Hidden Cafe? Share your experiences!