“Great Mexican Food... and that's not just the margaritas talking!”
Review of El Gitano

El Gitano
Ranked #58 of 451 Restaurants in Bellingham
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Vancouver, Canada
“Great Mexican Food... and that's not just the margaritas talking!”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Like many other reviewers on here we make this a stop when we are in the States from Canada. We have many wonderful places at home but I don't know of any local Mexican restaurants in the Lower Mainland so El Gitano is a special treat whenever we are in the area.
The decor is what you would expect for a cantina style place, brightly colored tiles and banners. Many tables and booths to choose from.
The service starts with the obligatory salsa and tortilla chips on the table but the chips are warm from the oven. It is hard to hold back to save room for the large portioned meal ahead.
I always start with a Patron margarita over ice. They serve a very generous sized drink and they give you what you are paying for. Delicious.
The menu is large and has a great variety of beef, chicken and shrimp dishes. I was torn between the Chicken Mole and the Spicy Steak Picante. I went with the Spicy Steak and was not disappointed. Lots of jalepeno slices in the red picante sauce. Sour cream, guacamole, beans and rice as is standard on most Mexican food plates. Great flavor and the spiciness was just right. The food is not greasy at all which can be quite a turn off.
I suggest you take your time and really look over the menu because I missed seeing a couple things until after I had ordered. I guess we will just have to come back down for more great Mexican food. Never any room for dessert.
Our server was friendly and fun and all the staff are very attentive. Having been here several times this has always been our experience.

• Visited August 2013

Vancouver, Canada
“Quality Food and Service - Muy Bueno!”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

A casual atmosphere, and although it was busy we got a table right away. The server was very attentive, and the staff made an effort to make sure we were satisfied with everything. It was hard not to be with food this good! I had the Chicken mole. The sauce had a good balance of heat and spice to sweet and rich. It came with a generous sides of beans, rice, tomato and greens. Everything tasted fresh and made from scratch, even the salsa for the tortilla chips, and the ingredients in the margaritas. Definitely a step above the typical neighbourhood Mexican place.

• Visited July 2013
New Westminster, Canada
“Best Mexican Food Anywhere”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This reataruant in Bellingham WA. is probably thee best Mexican Restaurant I have dined at anywhere. Food is delicious, service is great and the prices extremely reasonable.

We have dined here many times during a shopping trips to the USA and have never been disappointed.

• Visited July 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Good food, fast service”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stopped here for dinner on our way home to Canada - and we were not dissapointed!
The selection of mexican restaurants south of the Canadian border is astounding! So it was just a fluke that we stopped here.... and we are glad we did! We have been here a few times, and have never come away dissapointed (unlike some other mexican restaurants around seattle... and of course ALL the mexican restaurants in Vancouver).
The helpings are huge, the food is good, the atmosphere is good, and the service is quick. I wish we had some restaurants like this in Vancouver, BC :-(

• Visited January 2013
Bellingham, Washington
“The Best Burrito”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

My wife and I visit "El Git" as we call it, about once a month to savor one of their "el Gitano Special Burritos" which is essentially a super pork burrito with all the trimmings. We love it. It is actually enough to share but usually we both order one and split it in half and take the remainder home for lunch the next day. Even better!

• Visited April 2013