“As 'Pacific Northwest' as you can get”

Keenan's at the Pier
Ranked #14 of 485 Restaurants in Bellingham
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 4, 2018

My mum and I searched and searched, got a bit lost and finally fount it. Then we sat in the bar (not long) until a table cleared for us. Worth the search and wait. The food was excellent, and the view on the patio unmatched! The staff seemed a bit young and a little less knowledgeable than I would like for this sort of place. But they were willing to ask questions of the kitchen for us. (I know that with the job market in the Pacific Northwest, there is a shortage of experienced workers in many fields).
I noticed on our way out a chalkboard with a listing of where many ingredients are forced from, local farms, makers, roasters and breweries. I liked that. Keenan is about at Pacific Northwest as you can get!

Reviewed June 19, 2018

My husband and I stopped in on our way back from a massive hiking excursion. We were able to sit immediately in the bar area. Behind us were large glass windows overlooking the water. We were waited on right away. We both had the fish tacos with chowder. It was SO good. :) After we were able to walk the pier before heading back to Seattle. I honestly have no complaints.

1  Thank Kim N
Reviewed June 12, 2018

Friends who took us here (our 2nd time; their 5-6th) were embarrassed by the poor quality of the food, and we were extremely disappointed. Over-cooked halibut (at $38 and in any case in the PNW: inexcusable), cocktails were miserly pours and not tasty (weirdly prepared riff on a French 75 put into a tiny Tom Collins glass choked with ice - tasted like gin + grapefruit soda; NOT what menu described or what was expected). Although the overly-precious menu even named the fishing vessel the halibut was caught on, no mention of the provenance of the oysters, which were served with a bland "blueberry and melon" mignonette - oddly very sweet but otherwise flavorless.
Our strong advice: when in Bellingham, eat elsewhere.

1  Thank encee2017
Reviewed May 14, 2018 via mobile

Great food, drinks & friendly atmosphere. Magnificent sunset views!! Share a table & meet new friends.

Reviewed May 10, 2018

I've now been to Keenan's a half dozen or more times, and have yet to feel I had a great meal. Yesterday: portabella mushroom was chewy; tomato chutney tasted mostly like catsup; brocollini was beyond roasted to flat out charred in some areas; risotto was probably good, had it been hot. The soy latte was great, however, and the view is charming enough that I will likely go back until I finally find something on the menu that is truly wonderful. This place should SHINE, given its sweet location on the bay and its view of sailboats and boardwalk enthusiasts. Go -- but just expect average food.

Been to Keenan's at the Pier? Share your experiences!