“Really improved” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 414 Restaurants in Bellingham
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Drinks, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Bellingham, Washington
“Really improved”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

About a year ago now they redid the decor and menu and brought in new staff. It's transformed this place from average to excellent, and really it's now one of the best places to eat in Bellingham.

So many restuarants have a great view and very average food. The view is fantastic, and for once the food quality actually matches the natural beauty of Bellingham Bay and the San Juan islands. And they have several nice touches like loaner sunglasses for a sunny day and shawls to put over your shoulders once the sun goes down (this is Bellingham, after all, so the temperature drops 10-15 degrees as soon as the sun sets).

My wife and I went here for a 'date night', and really enjoyed ourselves. Appetizers and dinner were great. Things dropped off a little with desert: slow in coming and not spectacular. But we still came away very happy.

• Visited July 2013

Pennsylvania, US
“Wonderful meal and great views from outside patio”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We started with the artisan bread basket which came with delicious breads and three delicious butters (my favorite was the sun-dried tomato). I had the fresh-caught blackened Lummi salmon which was absolutely delicious. The honey barbecue chicken takes a little extra time to prepare but my son judged it to be more than worth the wait. We shared a trio of delicious desserts and had cappuccinos, providing a perfect finish as the sun set over Bellingham Bay. Our server was fairly new but was learning quickly and was very polite and helpful. I highly recommend dinner at Keenan's.

• Visited August 2013
Seattle
“Good food sloppy service and nasty outside”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

My husband and I were there last week. We had lunch outside, very confusing what we can and can not have. The floor was full of debris and the tables unclean.. Service was sloppy with different staff members delivering our food. The whole restaurant looked sloppy. I expected more form the reviews I have read about the Chrysalis

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Richmond, VA
“Food that matches the view!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Had dinner with friends here on a perfect August sunset evening. The staff snuck us in quickly on the deck because we had a teenager with us and we couldn't be seated in the bar area. I had the rocket and strawberry salad and the pasta primavera. The food was superb. We all split a beignet dessert with delicious dipping sauces -- fabulous. The chef made his rounds and really talked with us rather than a simple hello.. Start to finish it was a class act. Breakfast the next day (we were staying at the Chrysalis) was also quite wonderful, and again the service was exceptional. Can't wait to return on our next visit to Bellingham.

Visited August 2013
Bellingham, Washington
“Food made me very ill”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I have waited a few weeks before writing this review as I wrote the hotel and restaurant management about this and wanted to give them a chance to respond, but got no reply.

I was very excited to try out Keenan's, a new restaurant in town. I had part of an appetizer & dessert, a salad and the BBQ chicken main course. I don't think the former were the culprits, as I shared them with the others with me, and they didn't get sick. I think it was the latter (which didn't taste good when I ate it, either--I think it may have been the sauce rather than the meat that was bad). About four hours after eating, I was violently, and very unpleasantly, sick to my stomach for about four hours in the middle of the night. Especially a bummer as I had to get up and work early in the morning (when I was dehydrated and a bit weak, but fine).

I don't think I will be going back or sending anyone to this restaurant.

Visited July 2013