“Fine museum of the history of electricity and radio”

Spark Museum of Electrical Invention
Ranked #10 of 85 things to do in Bellingham
More attraction details
Owner description: The Spark Museum of Electrical Invention offers an exciting and educational experience for audiences of all ages. Compelling, interactive exhibits spanning four centuries of scientific achievement and cultural heritage are featured in a world-class collection of unique objects including the giant "MegaZapper" Tesla Coil which produces nine-foot lightning bolts! The Spark Museum displays the inventions and innovations that changed the course of human history.
Reviewed January 20, 2012

Really fine hands on experience of experiments, inventors, actual equipment used, how the understanding grew and had the real original light bulbs from edison, original radios and lamps and lots of visual exhibits that kept my kids and partner well entertained. I throughly enjoyed it.

Reviewed September 4, 2011

This museum is not to be missed. You might expect the subject to be dry and boring, but you are guaranteed to come away with a new understanding of how the properties of electricity were discovered and developed over the centuries. The displays are interactive, educational and interesting to all ages and levels. It covers centuries-old experiments and modern-day developments. Docents are on hand and are very knowledgeable. Anyone remember the old free-standing tube testers that were in every hardware store? It's here!

Reviewed July 27, 2011

My son insisted that our family visit this museum during our family reunion. What a treat. Our group of 20 adults and kids (ages 5 and up) were all fascinated as for several hours we marvelled at the insights and inventions that have brought electricity to our lives. The owner has gathered a world class collection of items and is incredibly knowledgeable. This rivals a Smithsonian exhibit. Wirh aome hands-on for the younger ones, this had something for everyone. A highlight of our trip.

Reviewed August 1, 2010

My husband and I spent several hours in this very interesting museum. It was bigger and more thorough than I expected. Documented step by step advancements in electricity and radio, with artifacts from all along the progression. We learned alot. We were also impressed to see one of the first 2 light bulbs made by Edison. The staff was very helpful. I had a chance to play the musical instrument the Theramin and bought a DVD about the creator of the instrument. This collection is Smithsonian quality.

Reviewed October 10, 2008

I found this place quite by accident. Somehow I wandered by it and was surprised to see what it was. I went in and found that this place brought back many memories for me. My dad was a radio repairman in the 1930's, and I grew up in a house with the leftovers of his repairman days. I can remember helping him fix an old Atwater Kent by chipping out the tar filled power supply to expose the top of the baffle where the wires from the buried filter capacitors passed over to the rectifier. At that point the wires could be cut and new filter capacitors installed. It seemed like I was standing beside my Dad doing this job as I viewed one ot the old Atwater Kents.

I became an Amateur Radio Operator in 1948, and remembered most of the gear in the collection of Ham Gear. All of it was stuff I wished I could have afforded to buy, but never could. By the time I could buy my gear instead of building it, there were no more vacuum tubes (except in the big transmitters) and everything was much too complicatied for me, even to repair.

This place is a must see for anyone who was ever facinated by radio. The next time I'm in Bellingham I will certainly visit it again.

2  Thank ralphswa