“Unfortunate Breakfast”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Scenic view, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 5, 2014

This review is only for the restaurant. Thinking that this restaurant would be in line with the rest of the hotel I stopped in for breakfast just before Christmas. There was only one other party in the restaurant and they were just leaving. My order was first up and took 28 minutes to come out. I had eggs Benedict and asked for some sauce on the hash browns. When it came there was so little sauce on both eggs and hash browns you could hardly tell it was there. The hash browns were cold and the cooking oil was the predominent taste. The ham was ragged, dry and looked like it had been torn off not cut. The piece of pomegranent that was on the plate was so dry and old that it appeared to have been cut the day before. The price was not bad and the view was beautiful. This, however, did not make up for the fact that this is probably one of the worst breakfasts I've had in Bellingham. It certainly does not say much for the quality of a great house such as this.

1  Thank Baker9
HotBelle, Manager at Lighthouse Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

I was disappointed to read about your breakfast experience with us at the Lighthouse Bar and Grill. You have my sincere apologies for the long wait and unsatisfactory meal. The experience you had does not reflect the level of service and food quality that we strive for here at the Lighthouse Bar and Grill. We have made several changes to our breakfast service since you have been in and I highly encourage you to give us another try. Please feel free contact me (mira@hotelbellwether.com) if I can arrange a complimentary breakfast for you.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

The atmosphere is great and the food was very good. The brunch layout is a little cramped but other than a people backlog once in a while it was a minor inconvenience.

1  Thank John N

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on Tripadvisor, we wanted to let you know that we have added extra buffet space so that the next time you come to enjoy a buffet at the Lighthouse Bar and Grill everything will flow more smoothly. We hope you’ll join us for our Easter Brunch Buffet on April 20th, 2014.

Reviewed December 25, 2013

I just went and had their Christmas buffet. It was the worst buffet I had ever had in my life. The butter rolls where as hard as rocks. The cheese selection was all combined and the mixed. They had a blue cheese that was a little off. Over burned turkey legs, and over fried chicken breasts. They had a made to order risotto station. The one I had was over mushy and too salty, it was hard to make out the flavors between all the salt and the cream. I added shrimp to mine and it looked like miniature shrimp too small to be even considered miniature shrimp. Salmon was dry and over cooked. Fruits were off, grapes tasted sour. The highlight of the whole menu was the mashed potatoes, and probably because they were made from instant flakes. We tried the deserts. The chocolate mouse was hard, as if it was done a day before. They had checkered chocolate cake and it also tasted like two days ago. The other selections were some sort of cranberry crumble, where on top of breads that I swear to you could break a window. My kid had marshmallows and they where also stiff as If the bag was opened a few days ago. At the end of the meal that is how I felt. I ate a buffet that was prepared for the night before (or maybe two nights before) and was reheated and served for today. Maybe taking advantage that all other restaurants were closed for Xmas they new that the guests could do no better. I would expect this of a cheap 10 dollar no-name buffets but even those are not as bad. The Lighthouse Bar & Grill is main restaurant of one of the nicest upscale hotels in town. I would have expect at least half decent for what they charged. Having a reheated buffet made two days ago is just wrong. The head chef of this operation should be fired. Even if offered the meal for free, I would never eat in this place again. Especially where in the vicinity of the bay area you have several other restaurant selections which are several times better. The only redeeming factor was that the staff was really nice and attentive, but I can not say enough bad things about the food. It was a complete disaster. Avoid making the same mistake I did.

2  Thank Nadim S
Jim H, General Manager at Lighthouse Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

I was sorry to read your comments regarding our Christmas Buffet. All our food items are consistently fresh, and locally sourced when available. Christmas Day was one of our biggest days of the year. We served nearly 500 people throughout the day and early into the evening. We have received countless positive responses from our guests and very good feedback during the dinner service. I am thrown by your comments and encourage you to contact me so I can better understand your experience - jim@hotelbellwether.com. As a well respected northwest restaurant our Chef prides himself in providing high quality food with fresh local products. We would very much like the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Being a resident of Bellingham I can avoid this place when the music plays. In the summer one can escape the music by sitting further away from the group that is playing outside but when the weather goes bad (Nov-May) you are condemned to enjoy it, or else, inside. We are not talking about a piano softly playing in the background but the likes of a small jazz group with amplified instruments and microphone for the singer(s). I cannot fathom why amplification is required in such a small venue except that the band members and the staff/management must be all hard of hearing or the singer(s) voice(s) require(s) a reverberation effect to sound decent.

Unfortunately, much of the Happy Hour menu has devolved to the fried or the overpriced.

2  Thank Voyageur10

We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments. I wanted to inform you about the music program here at the Lighthouse Bar and Grill. The music your review is referring to is our Sunday Night Jazz program. Every Sunday night from 4:30pm-7:30pm we have a live Jazz Trio or Quartet play in the lounge, and I will completely agree with you, the music does get loud. The vast majority of our guests on Sunday nights are coming in for the show so it is rare to receive complaints about it. We would be happy to accommodate you with a table away from the music if you wanted to join us on any Sunday. I also recommend trying the lounge on a Friday or Saturday night where from 6pm-9pm we have a live pianist softly playing to entertain our guests.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

This restaurant is in the Bellwether Hotel where we stayed for 5 days. We ate breakfast there almost every day. After first day, my husband and I ended up ordering one breakfast and sharing it with some sides because the servings were so huge. The last day, we treated our son, daughter-in-law, and new in-laws to breakfast there. They love it, as well.

Thank you kindly for sharing your experience, I am very pleased that you had such a great experience with us here at the Hotel Bellwether and Lighthouse Bar and Grill! Glad to hear that your in-laws had a wonderful breakfast too, thank you for introducing them to our restaurant.