“Great location, atmosphere & people, needs new beds”

Fairhaven Village Inn
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Bellingham
Toronto, Canada
“Great location, atmosphere & people, needs new beds”
Reviewed December 7, 2010

I love the warmth of this attractive, small hotel in a perfect location. The rooms are spacious and attractive, clean and well cared for. The library is a gem. People were thoughtful and kind. I would stay here often and recommend it to my friends, if only they replaced the low beds and soft, saggy, lumpy mattresses. It's unusual for a relatively new hotel to have uncomfortable beds. It feels like someone tried to save money and cut the wrong corner. What's a hotel without good beds? The rating is not entirely inaccurate -- if you forget about the beds (and sleep!) this hotel is excellent. If you include the beds, it's poor. I will be back the minute I hear they've bought top-quality mattresses! I can't recommend it to my friends because they all have bad backs.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
InnkeeperFVI, Owner at Fairhaven Village Inn, responded to this review, April 11, 2011
The Fairhaven Village Inn is dedicated to guests like you who want to return to us!

This month we installed quality custom mattresses and high quality linen in all 22 rooms.
It was also an opportunity to increase the number of rooms with king beds..all for more and better rest for our guests.

See our transition day pictures on Facebook. To help those in need of clean serviceable bedding, we partnered with local organizations to distribute the out-going mattresses.

We hope, as you mentioned in your review, that you will indeed recommend us to your friends and return to us to enjoy a great night sleep!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed November 29, 2010

The Village Inn has a great location and my room had a lovely view of Bellingham Bay. Although the hotel does not have a dining room, it offers a great continental breakfast and there are a host of good restaurants close by. My bed was comfortable and my Internet was fast and secure. My only real quibbles were with the quality of the TV and with the showerhead.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Los Alamos, New Mexico
Reviewed November 26, 2010

My wife and I had a wonderful six-night stay at the Fairhaven Village Inn in early November 2010. The inn is located in the historic part of Fairhaven, close to several restaurants and other stores, including a bookshop, a bike store and a running store. The location also affords immediate access to the extensive trail system of the Bellingham area, and is close to the Alaska Ferry terminal. The staff are polite, friendly and very helpful. Our room had a view of Bellingham Bay and was quiet and comfortable. We couldn't have asked for a better place to stay.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 24, 2010

I was in Bellingham for a weekend conference at WWU and the Fairhaven Inn happened to be the recommended hotel for the conference. I'm glad it was! It's in a great location in Fairhaven, right in the midst of boutique shops and restaurants (although, be aware that it's a little ways from downtown, the university, and the airport, if that matters to you). It's extremely "homey" with nice little touches like cookies at the reception desk, a den with games, coffee, etc., and very friendly service. I hear it can be hard to get a room here, but if I'm ever back in Bellingham, I'll try to make sure this is the place I stay!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Phoenix, Az
Reviewed September 17, 2010

Fairhaven Village Inn is a beautiful hotel, but not my kind of place. It is way too quiet and a little too quaint for me. The rooms are ok, but the bed is not very comfortable as it is way too soft. The location is superb as it is right in town and you can walk anywhere if that is what you are looking for. If you are looking for old European quaint than this place is for you.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank CMR12
Brooklyn
Reviewed September 6, 2010

I stayed here with my parents, who lived in Bellingham in the 1970s and were returning for a trip down memory lane (apparently in the 70s, Fairhaven was not the boutique tourist area it is now). They loved the Fairhaven Village Inn, with its nicely stocked library, evening tea and cookies, and scrupulous cleanliness. We thought we would need two rooms, but management immediately informed us that the couch in the room turned into a bed for me, which was surprisingly comfortable. Maid service was impeccable, and when we asked for restaurant recommendations, the desk clerk gave us a pile of laminated menus from nearby restaurants to choose from (Skylark's Cafe and the Harris Cafe are both great). The view from our room was of the town, as opposed to the harbor, but the harbor views look over loading docks and ferry terminals, so I almost think the town side view was preferable. The only drawbacks were an old tv, and no minibar or coffee maker, but on a family trip neither of those really mattered, and the easy, free wi fi made up for the lack of other gadgets. Fairhaven itself is a cute little town and we enjoyed the excellent bakeries and bookstores that are literally across the street from the hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed August 26, 2010

What a find. A lovely village inn at the southern end of Bellingham. What puts this hotel ahead of others is the friendly staff, and they’re helpful too. They readily provided a small fridge when I wanted to keep things cool during my stay; they replaced the TV when a channel wasn’t working. They’ve given attention to details: easy access to electrical outlets and wired internet port on the desk (wireless available also); devices to hold room doors open while you bring things in; notices in little wooden frames; nice furniture and pictures on the walls. They have a strong no-smoking policy, which I appreciate, and good water-conservation measures (low-flow toilets, etc.). They could do more to promote recycling by guests. The breakfast offerings are better than average, including freshly made waffles, fresh berries, decaf coffee as well as regular, etc.
Fairhaven has plenty of interesting shops and eateries, a weekly farmers market in the summer, outdoor entertainment, special events – a great place to visit.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo