“Friendly service, big room, great location”

Fairhaven Village Inn
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Bellingham
A TripAdvisor Member
“Friendly service, big room, great location”
Reviewed March 5, 2006

My boyfirend and I have stayed at this hotel on two different occaisons. We have had rooms without views on the 3rd floor both times. For the price, these rooms are very large and comfortable. The staff is always friendly. Fairhaven is charming and the location could not be better. The continental breakfast, although nothing fancy or substantial, is a nice way to start the day. I plan on choosing this hotel again and recommend it to anyone staying in Bellingham.

• Stayed January 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Reviewed November 16, 2005

We have stayed at the Inn on two occasions. The first time being early May and the second time being late August. On our first stay we found adequate accomodations, although I was disapointed with the view. Our "bayview" room had a view of the bay, at a far distance, and an industrial area immediately out the slider. When we expressed our displeasure, the woman at the desk was very reassuring that we would enjoy our stay. She made reservations for our dining, directed us to places of interest, and even arranged a walking tour of Fairhaven. She was the reason we decided to return to the Inn. We felt that we had been mislead when we made the reservation. We also felt that the care we received was genuine and exactly what we were seeking.
When we returned the end of August, nothing could have been farther from the truth. We were treated rudely, as if we were an inconvenience to the staff. The room we had was on the streetside and smelled terribly of smoke. It was our understanding that the inn was smokeless. When we complained to the desk, we were told that there weren't any other rooms. We were not given a discount or any consideration for the fact that the room smelled bad. We checked out two days early and found other accomodations that we enjoyed very much. We are retired and not well off. We take the spending of our money very seriously. Our trips to the mainland are something we really look forward to. We will continue to sail into the beautiful port of Bellingham, but will stay elsewhere. We will also encourage the rest of our family to stay elsewhere. We all travel down about once a year from Ketchican...will look forward to our next trip to Bellingham, but will think twice about lofty reviews on travel sites. Makes me wonder who really writes them.

• Stayed May 2005
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Washington, DC
Reviewed October 20, 2005

Public rooms are very attractive with comfortable funiture and good reading material. Bedrooms are also attractive and comfortable -- some with gas fireplace. Breakfast was free but it was what you would find at a much less expensive motel. Cookies in the afternoon, but I was surprised that there was no coffee available to accompany them. I loved that location of the hotel. In the area of Fairhaven, you can walk to many great restaurants, bookstores. Also, beautiful waterfront walk starts at the front door. This hotel is more expensive than the local motels, but it was not a lot more on weekdays in low season. It was worth the extra to me to get the nice room, and the ability to walk to all the Fairhaven attractions. If you are coming by Amtrak, and not hauling a lot of luggage, you may be able to walk to the hotel -- the equivlent of 4/5 city blocks.

• Stayed October 2005
8 Thank aDCtraveler
Reviewed October 16, 2005

My family complete with our two dogs stayed at the Fairhaven in June of 05. The hotel staff were very accommodating. They gave us treat bags for our pets complete with bags so we could clean up after them without having to find something on the fly. They have a lovely library where my boys checked out toys and puzzles to play with in the evening. The room was beautiful. They have homey touches with throws on the chairs and decortive pillows on the beds. The beds were out of this world. I felt like I was sleeping on a cloud. Really this hotel was one of the nicest I have stayed at and we all, pets included enjoyed it thoroughly.

Stayed June 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 23, 2005

Location = Fantastic! My husband and I loved the scenery and convenience of being right downtown with all of the great shops and restaurants.

Ambiance = very tastefully decorated room, charming lobby. However, train noise several times both nights was frustrating as we were traveling with a small child, and were hoping for more restful sleep.

Breakfast = overall a nice selection and cute set-up. Unfortunately, I was extremely turned off when I reached for a bagel which turned out to have green spots of mold. It really made me question the rest of the food items, and our family quietly opted to have breakfast at a nearby cafe one morning, and then traveled to IHOP the second day.

Staff = I found the desk clerk(s) to be very cordial and accomodating, especially when taking into consideration the hours they must be putting in! I only ever remember seeing two staff members during our two-night stay, each worked very dilligently to deliver things to our room while simultaneously manning the continental breakfst, AND checking people in/out. They must work 24 hour shifts at the least, which is also puzzling since the hotel is closed from 10pm-7am... I was going to see about a toothbrush the first night, but realized it was after closing. I honestly didn't know if anyone would be there to help me or not! Not the warm feeling I would expect from a small inn or B&B.

I also have to question some of the working conditions I encountered with the housekeeping staff. Those girls (And I believe a gentleman) never seemed to take a break, though they were always very plesant and accomodating. I also mistakenly wandered into a laundry room the 1st night while I was looking for a restroom. At least I think it was a laundry room... there was garbage and cardboard spilling out the entrance, and from what I could tell in the dark, the room was stuffed with carts and dirty linins. Again, not something I wanted to see while getting away at a small inn.

value for money = about what I would expect for a hotel so close to the water ($162/night) Very dissapointed about the breakfast though, as that was one of the deciding factors when I booked the room.

Overall experience = I would not visit this hotel on another trip to the area, as I could have had a more predictible experience at a chain hotel for less money. My business takes me all over the world, and I have never stayed at such an "interesting" establishment.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2005

Our room was lovely and spacious, and parking and breakfast were included in the price. The hotel has a nice outdoor terrace on the second floor. The location, in the heart of the historic part of town, can't be beat.

4 Thank markOttawa_Canada
Edgartown
Reviewed July 11, 2005

This was our third stay at the Fairhaven Village Inn in the past two years and we continue to enjoy our stays very much. The improvements in this hotel over the past couple years are very impressive. We would call into question some of the negative comments recently posted on Tripadvisor

A prior Tripadvisor review mentioned �weak coffee� and this is totally unfounded in our honest opinion. In fact, we went to Tony's, the boutique coffee maker that custom roasts the coffee beans used by the Inn, and purchased this coffee for our home. You can find Starbuck's everywhere; but, Tony's is a higher quality coffee for our tastes.

We have never been disappointed with the hotel's continental breakfast offering, as well. We find the choice of hot and cold cereals; various yogurts and juices; assorted breads and muffins; and a choice of fresh fruits more than adequate. Our favorite is the cooked to order waffle. It escapes us how anyone can refer to this continental breakfast menu as "limited". When we go to Europe we usually get a dry roll, small juice and a cup of coffee and have been told for years that this is a continental breakfast.

We still find the location of the inn a real plus. When we stay at the Fairhaven Village Inn, we park our car and forget about it. We walk virtually everywhere. We adore the historic Fairhaven district and the many restaurants, bars and shops that are footsteps from this hotel. No other hotel in Bellingham can make this claim.

In all fairness to readers, virtually every view of the harbor from anywhere in the Fairhaven district includes a view of the various roofs of the buildings in the port. And as for train noise noted in another comments, the railroad tracks run a very distant three blocks from the hotel. We have never been bothered by train noise. The only trains we were aware of were Amtrak that stops at the distant ferry terminal around 10 AM each morning and then again at about 7:30 in the evening. The sound of the train whistles is less than the sound of the Alaska Ferry leaving port.

The Fairhaven Village Inn is a wonderful place and we have got to know the owners, Connie and Gene Shannon, and it is rare you find owners so committed to ensuring their guests have an enjoyable stay. Like any other hotel we have stayed at, we have had a couple of very small issues; however, these owners are on site and made every effort to make us happy. This hotel may not have bellmen, a restaurant or bar; but, the Fairhaven Village Inn is a most comfortable and pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed July 2005