“Ambience and service gives it 4 stars”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Casa Que Pasa

Casa Que Pasa
Ranked #88 of 444 Restaurants in Bellingham
Cuisines: Mexican, American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Vancouver, Canada
“Ambience and service gives it 4 stars”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

I am becoming a Casa Que Pasa groupie, everytime I head to B-ham for a show I end up here, no matter who I am with. It's like an institution for day trippers from North of the border! I have only ever sat in the cantina. I love the drink specials and the large portions. My latest meal was shared between 2 of us, we had the chicken nachos w/guac, so huge, and a Poseidon Burrito, super yum, and Carnitas which is one of my faves (this was filling enough!) plus more than a few drinks to get us primed for the show at Shakedown. I love this place and will keep returning! I love the casual atmosphere and decor. OH and GREAT service, always with a smile!

• Visited April 2014

Ventura, California
“Unbelievable”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

I've been enjoying Casa q' Pasa burritos for around a decade. The other day at lunch I had the chicken tacos. My girlfriend wanted the carne asada burrito, except on a plate - we only found out when the bill came that the plate costs double the price at an outrageous $18.99 - Que pasa? On top of that the meat was on a huge bed of lettuce and had an overdose of garlic (which I typically love in all quantities). We could have enjoyed a nice wild salmon dinner around the corner for that price. We payed our check and boxed our leftovers, though the state of my stomach later kept me on the sofa with only a hot tea (and I have a very strong constitution). Sadly, I must share another grim detail - on the way out we noticed something disturbing in the kitchen: the cooks were working without sleeves over a hot grill. Whether this specifically violates a local health and safety law I am unsure - though I am sure that the sight of muscle tees worn by cooks is something bound to be bothersome to most patrons. Shame on you Casa. Keep the hippie vibe but perhaps invest in another fan for the kitchen a few more inches of material for the uniforms (you can use the profits from the carne asada). Since there has been 10 years of decent meals I might give it another chance though I doubt the same for my girlfriend.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Gregory C
Spokane, Washington
“Don't let the exterior fool you!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

We were looking for a place to eat lunch in Bellingham and we wanted Mexican cuisine or a burrito place and we can Casa Que Pasa. I chuckled to myself when I saw the exterior with the paintings in the window. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go in but my family insisted. I ordered a pinto bean tostada, my children ordered burritos and my youngest daughter ordered the house salad. The service was okay the food was excellent. You can sit in the restaurant are you can go back to the cantina but this is a recommended place to have lunch or have dinner.

Visited December 2013
Bellingham, Washington
“Avoid the tacos”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

Grew up on authentic Mexican food in Southern California, so I have a high tolerance, and genuine affection even, for the kind of no-atmosphere Mexican hole-in-a-wall that just produces simple but great tasting food. Casa Que Pasa looked like that kind of place, and it was crowded, so we went in for a meal.

This is not authentic Mexican food. What it IS, though, is inexpensive and plentiful. And that's no crime (in fact, it's a good thing in a college town), but serving a raw unheated corn tortilla straight out of the package for a "soft taco" should be a crime, and that's what I got. Corn tortillas are made out of fat and maize. Out of the package they are uncooked, and to achieve tortilla flavor and pliability they have to be heated. Without heat they have an unpleasant raw flavor, feel like cardboard in the mouth, and they break when you try to bend them into a taco shape. What we got were two flat tortillas with filling on them. They weren't previously heated and cold, they had never been near heat at all. They were RAW. Someone in the kitchen who doesn't know a thing about corn tortillas apparently believes that putting a spoonful of warm filling (the fillings were well-seasoned, so a real shame) in the middle will do the trick, but that's not true. Not even close, not enough head and not enough contact. 60 seconds in a microwave would do it, though. THIS ISN'T HARD.

A restaurant who doesn't know this, who doesn't care enough to get a simple detail like that right, won't see me again, so adios Casa Que Pasa!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank UnrepentantFoodie
Bellingham, Washington
“Cheap and popular with students, but not Mexican, and not clean”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

Popular with students due to large portions and low prices.

But if you are looking for even remotely authentic Mexican food, you will not find it here. Potato burrito, anyone?

Maybe it was just a bad day, but service was very slow, and the place was not clean. The serving was ample and filling, but bland. Afterwards, I felt sick to my stomach, then had a bad case of diarrhea. No way I’m going back.

• Visited November 2012