New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Lake Whatcom
Ranked #12 of 76 things to do in Bellingham
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“A huge and beautiful local asset.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Lake Whatcom is over 8 miles long and, in places, more than a 1/2 mile wide. It is the water supply for the City of Bellingham. It is surrounded by heavily forested mountains and delightful neighborhoods. There are beautiful parks, numerous trails, and good boating and fishing available. The setting is as spectacular as any Northwest lakes. Yet, its location uphill from the main sections of town is totally hidden from passers-through and is even invisible to an amazing number of locals. This is one of Bellingham's and Whatcom County's premier attractions!

Visited October 2013
2 Thank sho1627

Ritzville, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Nice Place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

The park was really pretty. The trees offered nice shade and the lake was serene. But the beaches were rocky and dirty when you left the swimming area. The bathrooms were average but it did seem to have a nice community center. Parking was tight.

Visited September 2013
Bellingham, Washington
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“beautiful setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

love the lake! Mountains in the backdrop. Very clean. If your lucky you might even get a chance to see an eagle. Kayaker's paradise.

Visited September 2013
Bellingham
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“dirty”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

if there wasn't an over abundance of duck poo everywhere this would be a nice park, but seeing what's all over the grass pulls me away from jumping into a most likely duck poo ridden lake!!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank danbart2013
Vancouver, BC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Bloedel Donovan Park on Lake Whatcom”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

We decided to make a day trip from Vancouver BC to see what was over in the Whatcom Falls area. I don't know Bellingham very well, but our fave stops are Cornwall Park (lovely treed park with a small network of walking/biking trails, grassy picnic spots, and a couple of playgrounds) and Fairhaven (Such a cute town!). We really enjoy walking/biking the Interurban Trail from downtown Bellingham to Boulevard Park and along the water to Fairhaven. Beautiful ocean views!
Anyways, we drove to Whatcom Falls Park and the kids played at both playground before we explored the trails. It was a hot day -- perfect for hanging out in the woods and going for a swim! We'd passed Bloedel Donovan Park on the lake as we were driving to the falls, so we decided to head back there for a dip. About a block or so before the park (at 1480 Electric Ave), there's a sub sandwich place located inside a convenience store. It's called Da Vinci's Classic Subs and they make the most DELICIOUS Philly steak subs! I ordered one for my husband (and stupidly got myself a lower-fat ham sub with no cheese), and as I watched them grill the beef and assemble the sandwich, I decided that I was going to have to try at least one bite. Luckily we were still in the parking lot when I had my taste of the Philly sub because once I'd put it in my mouth, there was no stopping me! My husband ended up having to go buy his own sandwich! haha (The kids got to eat the less-exciting ham sub.)
Finally I'm getting to my description of Bloedel Donovan.. The park was occupied by a mixed crowd: families with kids, young skateboarders, gangstas, buff beach volleyball players.. It was great for people-watching. There's a good-sized playground that's nicely shaded by some trees and a grassy area with two beach volleyball courts. The man-made 'beach' is just a thin strip, but the bottom of the lake is sandy and has a slow grade, so it's a nice spot for kids to swim. The water wasn't exactly clear, but it wasn't murky either. It was about 25C that day and the water was still slightly chilly in the late afternoon, so I doubt it ever gets very warm. I wasn't expecting a decent change-room, and there wasn't one (there's only a bathroom with a bench outside of the stalls), so you might want to come already wearing your swimsuit.
The only real down-side to this park was the amount of goose droppings all over the ground (luckily the droppings were dried up). I guess geese take over the place when the people aren't around.
It was definitely a fun trip! The Philly sub might've been the best part -- so don't miss out!! (I asked for a few added toppings, such as tomatoes, lettuce, and cucumber.)

Visited July 2013