“It's like the Chipotle of Noodle Bars!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Dashi Noodle Bar - CLOSED

Cuisines: Asian, Soups, Korean, Fusion
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Seating, Takeout
Bellingham, Washington
“It's like the Chipotle of Noodle Bars!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

BTW, This place is not at 207 Unity anymore. They moved to 1311 N. State St in January!
Dashi is awesome! How it works is you get a choice of "Toppings" (Chicken, Beef, Pork, Tofu, etc.) for you soup and that's how the price is determined. Then you choose from one of their HOUSEMADE Noodles (Ramen, Udon, etc.) and Broths. It's so fun because its completely customizable! I like Pho but I dont care for the traditional rice noodles. So I pick Udon (a thick, chewy noodle) to go with my Pho broth and top it off with all the traditional Pho accompaniments from their self-serve condiment bar (Basil, Cilantro, Jalapenos, Sambal, etc.)! Not authentic Pho but Delicious! On the second visit I tried their Ramen Noodle with Pork Shoulder and it was just as good. The Noodles were obviously made in house and they were cooked to perfection. I would recommend the Konbu-Bonito broth with a Soy-Marinated Egg. Again, its not like going to a little hole in the wall Ramen shop in Vancouver but its fun because its different and everything is super flavorful!
My girlfriend had a Chicken Steamed Bun with Coconut Curry sauce and we were shocked how big it was! It's the same soft steamed dough as your typical Chinese Hum Bao but it is shaped like a pita and is the size of a burrito! A little messy but very satisfying! We also tried the Chicken Wings which were A-Mazing as well.
My only criticisms of this place would be that it was hard to get street parking and it was also tough to get a seat because they were so busy. But we went on a Friday night so it might be easier during the week. Also, they have a great wine, beer, and sake menu. Unfortunately it is a little hard to read and is awkwardly positioned so you cant see it until you get to the register, which makes for a last minute decision. But I"ll cut them some slack because they just recently moved into this location. All in all, I would say if your looking for a unique Noodle experience and your not too much of a Pho (or Ramen) "purist", definitely give Dashi a try.

Bellingham
“Rainy Day Soup”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

I was really happy to find a vegan noodle soup option at this this new little downtown joint. I had the vegetable/tofu/ramen/mushroom combo. The grilled tofu was very good and the ramen was perfect in firmness and texture. I always add chili paste, cilantro and basil and the condiments were easily assessable - though as one reviewer pointed out, the condiments are in a strange location. I am looking forward to trying the cold noodles next time.

Bellingham, Washington
“It's OK, I'd go if I was with people that wanted to.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Granted we went on a Friday night and it was ver busy. But, my noodle soup came out luke warm. I don't care for the condiment "bar" area being open and exposed to everyone just standing around, perfect kid height for poking their fingers into, just not the most sanitary setup I've seen. And the menu board was needlessly confusing, mostly because the elements do not follow a logical order. That's all fine if the food itself was great. But it was flat and bland at best. The pork bun was not a bun. I'd describe it more as a thick pita folded like a taco and filled. Again that would be fine except the pork was bland loaded with hoisen sauce which was about all I could taste. I give this place a solid "meh" I would not object to going if I was with people that enjoyed it, but on our own I'll pass. On the other hand, they have just opened a new location and the person taking the orders was clearly new, so I'm cutting him a lot of slack or I'd be complaining about the lack of helpful service. Why would you have someone lacking experience were you're that busy, at dinner time on a Friday night I have no idea.

Josh S, Owner at Dashi Noodle Bar, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Hello,
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your recent dining experience at Dashi Noodle Bar. I would like to personally apologize for the temperature of your soup not being up to par and for the other issues that you mentioned in your review not being up to the standard that we are aiming to set forth at our new location. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our service and our food and I appreciate the feedback.
We have addressed the issue of the condiment bar not having a gaurd and you will notice on your next visit that it now does!
I hope that you will give us another try in the near future and, again, I apologize for not getting it right for you the first time!
“What's the Attraction?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

The Dashi has moved into a new location at 1311 N. State St. and has attracted quite a following, which I don't understand after visiting it. We tried a couple of noodle bowls, one with udon and the other with ramen, along with a "bun" stuffed with pork and hoisen sauce.

The broths in both bowls were mediocre, at best, with the noodles no better. The udon was more like thick, chewy vermicelli and the ramen pretty much still in a "brick." While the pork was well cooked and tender, it lacked flavor. Tofu was essentially tasteless. They have a condiments bar, but the dishes are very small and weren't being refilled quickly. It was somewhat busy but not so hectic that better attention should have been paid. Tables were dirty, too.

The pork stuffed "bun" is a bun in name only, not a traditional "bao." It was a chewy, pasty, steamed, tasteless flat bread that resembled an incredibly thick flour tortilla or pita. Inedible.

Josh S, Owner at Dashi Noodle Bar, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Hello,
I would like to personally apologize for your unfortunate recent dining experience at Dashi Noodle Bar. As you mentioned, we have just recently opened and are still workign out some kinks. However, that is no excuse for mediocre service and a dirty table. Please be assured that these issues have been addressed with the staff and we are always working on improving our customer experience.
I would like to address some of your comments about the food specifically. Our Noodles (with the exception of the rice noodles) and Broths are made by hand in house using wholesome ingredients. Our boths are minimally seasoned, allowing the guest to customize their soup with the addition of our condiments to create a soup that is flavored to their liking. Our Udon, as you mentioned, is a thick wheat noodle which contains Tapioca Starch (in the tradional method) to give it its charicteristc chew. I am sorry that the Ramen seemed to be in a "brick". We are working on addressing that issue by stirring the noodles again after the both goes in the bowl.
Our steamed buns are one of our most popular items and are made in house with the dough being based on a Chinese Hum Bao, however we shape them similar to a pita so that we may fill them to order with the filling of your choice. I am sorry that you did not enjoy the bun. I hope next time you can try one you like with a different filling choice, perhaps?
I truly hope that you will visit us again to give us another try. As you know we offer several varieties of broths and noodles and our condiments rotate with what produce is available locally so you will always have something new tor try at Dashi! I am also always available to answer any questions and address any concerns via email- dashinoodlebar@gmail.com.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Dashi Noodle Bar was a bright spot in a town that is not known for its culinary traditions.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2012

Tucked into what seems like the entrance of a commercial garage/warehouse on the edge of downtown Bellingham (207 Unity Street), this tiny eatery is a breath of fresh air in a town that does not stand out for its cuisine. Dashi Noodle Bar serves a delicious assortment of hot noodle soups and steamed buns. They offer at least three types of broth (chicken, meat, or mushroom-based), and many types of noodles (ramen, udon, rice, etc) and toppings (tofu, braised beef brisket, BBQ pork shoulder, chicken, poached egg). If noodles are not for you, a stuffed steamed bun will do the trick. You can choose between two types of steamed buns (classic and whole wheat) and fillings (beef, pork, chicken, etc) and sauces (hoisin and coconut curry).

I ate at Dashi about 5 times on my last 10-day visit to Bellingham. Tried the pork and beef on classic steamed buns with both sauces, and the udon noodles. (I have to confess I love udon so I didn’t explore the other noodles). The meat in the buns was very tender and tasty, and the buns soft and fresh, the sauces, delicious. The udon and broth were also a delight. My only complaint was that the broth was much richer the first time I had the udon. Probably I got the bottom of the pot that time and got the best of it! Prices are very reasonable, with noodles costing about $10 and steamed buns about $6. Either one makes an excellent lunchtime meal, served by very friendly staff. Dashi is only open for lunch (11-3pm).

• Visited December 2011