“Fairhaven Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Bellingham
Vancouver, Canada
“Fairhaven Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Now my favourite Fairhaven hotel.
Fantastically comfortable rooms decorated tastefully.
Bathrooms to die for. Huge tub with opening screen so that partner can share with you from a distance (or not if you are convervationists!).
There are pet friendly rooms. Lovely window seat looking outside. Nice touches, like throws to wrap around oneself. This was December time, so an appreciated touch. My husband had organised iced champagne and red rose petals scattered all around...OH, and bath package with smellies. Lucky me, a beautiful surprise and executed to perfection!
Easy walk into Fairhaven via minor road then park for varied dining.
Excellent restaurant. We enjoyed appetizers two days running overlooking the ocean and boardwalk. Very friendly service. Breakfasts were imaginative and fresh.
Great running right outside the hotel along the boardwalk. Sea right there alongside you.
We love the train noise and rumbles. It's quiet through the night. But if you are sensitive to that sort of thing, you'll want to be aware.
I had a massage in the spa and one of the best pedis I've ever had. Can't wait to return early in August for my b'day treat. 4 days this time!

Room Tip: If train noise disturbs you, ask for quietest rooms they have...and use the ear plugs!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Langley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

My husband and I stayed two nights in May 2014 for a close to home get away. We live in Langley BC, we'd wanted to re-visit the beautiful, wonderfully staffed Chrysalis Inn and Spa. We wandered around the little town of Fairhaven, enjoyed the sea air and the views. Our room was a King Suite, the same one we had last visit, gorgeous room....I wish we could've stayed a week. We ventured into the amazing Keenen's restaurant, where the food and drinks are served by the nicest staff. Impressive all around, we will be back again, I can't wait. Maybe in the fall...to enjoy the fall leaves and sunsets. Thank you again for being amazing hosts, we are sincerely grateful.

Room Tip: I would stay anywhere in the Chrysalis, it's just top notch.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Kirkland, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

I stayed overnight for business and despite the positive reviews and recommendations, my experience was just so-so. I must have gotten the noisiest room in the lot but I could hear the trains from my room through all hours of the night. Chrysalis also lacks a fitness room which is surprising given the price range and their competition. When I checked out, the front desk didn't even bother to ask how was my stay. I volunteered that the room was noisy and they should look into a fitness room to which he simply shrugged and continued to process payment. I expected a little bit more from this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank Bus_traveler677
White Rock, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Bravo Chrysalis Inn & Spa. My husband and I live just across the line in Canada, only a 45 minute drive. We were looking for a get-away that would provide us a different experience.

The Chrysalis (hard to pronounce) is a perfect location complete with an amazing view, 7 minute walk to historic Fairhaven (which has been revitalized), pier walk right outside the Inn's door and close to all that US shopping we like so much.

The Chrysalis has a lovely happy hour (patio served when sunny), an on-site restaurant which has nice food and is fairly reasonably priced. We enjoyed the option to park our car and to either eat at Keenan's or to walk into Fairhaven for something different. My only comment is that there should a small breakfast included.

The sound of the trains outside the window just added to the experience. Don't come if you don't like the noise or are a complainer.

Look for the Inn's specials. A lovely spot to stay.

Room Tip: Any room with a view - either side or full view are great. We stayed in 212 which had a window box.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hosta_La_Vista
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

My wife took me here for an overnighter get-away, even though we only live 25 minutes from here it seemed we were tucked away on one of the San Jaun islands.

The spa was great and the happy hour on the patio over looking the bay was awesome. We had dinner at Keenan's restaurant located in the hotel (4.5) They have a great selection of fresh seafood and some great steaks. The "wicked shrimp" appetizer was the best.

So the rooms are very spacious, with big windows that look over the bay, fireplace, jacuzzi tubs and pretty much anything you would ever want.

A real nice pier is right outside the door. A great place for a stroll and there is a walking path that goes to downtown or Fairhaven.

Should mention the train, but really it just didn't seem to be that big of deal. I actually enjoyed watching it from the patio it's like right there.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Darngood
Victoria, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

We three stayed March 17 for two nights. As we had a dog we had limited options for hotels.

The first night we stayed in room #106...the morning after we asked if we could be moved as we found the garage door opening and closing (directly below our room) plus Mr. "Heavy Feet" who stayed above us, to be disturbing. The girls at reception immediately offer to move us to room #101. I would suspect that room #106 would be the only one that would hear the garage door. I think I actually preferred the view at the side of the hotel and I LOVED the window seat...I think it is large enough that a child could sleep there. They provide pillows and a throw....I used both and sat for hours, reading in the window seat.

Others have mentioned the trains...we only heard one train horn...one train did make a loud shudder noise. We are both light sleepers and we were not awakened by the trains. Others have complained about the quality of the linens....we are both sensitive and they were fine for us.

We had breakfast and very late lunch at the hotel, both days...we found the prices to be very reasonable (approx. $10.00 for omlette +) and about the same for lunch which we took back to our room so our dog would not be left alone. We would both rate the food to be exceptional and the staff more than helpful, friendly and professional. Free coffee is provided at 7:00 AM in front of the fireplace.

We hesitated to book the hotel as it looked like a long walk to Fairhaven shopping...but what a lovely surprise to see that we could walk the distance in about 6 minutes or less..there is a hidden path, away from the traffic. I did hesitate when I saw it went through bushes but soon realized there are houses all along the way plus I found the people friendly..almost everyone I passed made eye contact and said "good morning"....bikers passing said..."on your left", as they passed. We appreciated that we could park the car and leave it at the hotel and walk.

We loved looking out at the boardwalk...a concrete raised pathway that goes in front of the hotel, way out in the water....all day and night walkers with dogs, parents with children, people on bikes, skateboards, runners.....everyone is out walking and enjoying the day. We have been told there is a 3 mile path also to Bellingham.

The hotel was bright, West Coast Modern, clean and safe underground parking was provided at no charge.

The hotel has grass strips close to the front door...both on the street and a larger area beside the hotel...perfect for walking your dog.

We are now planning our second stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Diane M
Washington State
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

This would have been five stars if only they would have had decent linens! The hotel itself is beautifully done, the room was wonderful, from the layout to the decor. The room boasts a fireplace and charming window seat. The views over Bellingham Bay are great. Everything about this hotel is top notch, except for their bed linens. They were actually scratchy, their quality was so poor. Even their pillows were lacking. My husband said, half jokingly, next time we stay here let's bring our own sheets and pillows. We will be back, it is a lovely hotel and very charming room!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple