New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The Chrysalis Inn & Spa

The Chrysalis Inn & Spa
Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Bellingham
Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
“Chrysalis - weekend escape to bliss”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

If you don't like trains then this place may not be for you! But I love trains and I love the ocean. Chrysalis is definitely a gem for a quick escape from the hustle and bustle of life. Staff are first class and the spa was divine. Christina delivered by far the best massage I've had in a very long time. The room was gorgeous with a fabulous view of the water. The window seat is a nice place to curl up and just chill. Gas fireplace was cozy and made it for a romantic birthday weekend. The Happy Hour is great with a tasty menu. Looking forward to returning soon....Thanks Groupon for the opportunity to try something new.

Room Tip: Call ahead for a King Room...loved it!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Karen S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Bellingham, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here the night of our wedding ceremony and it was really perfect. The bathroom wall can be opened into the bedroom so that the view of the water as well as the fireplace can be enjoyed from the huge 2 person soaking tub. No noise from other guests, and we weren't bothered by the train. The window seat is really big and comfortable and the two of us were able to hang out and take in the view. We didn't have a chance to use the spa, but will make a reservation for next time. We were impressed enough that we reserved a room for our friends for their wedding night.

• Stayed January 2013
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have been going to the Crysalis for several years - marking it as a favourite place to stay in the Pacific Northwest. This time my experience, both in the spa and the room was mediocre.

I called ahead as I had booked a KingRoom and wanted to ensure there would be a bed for my friend who was travelling with me. i was assured that in addition to the King Bed, there was also an "extremey comfortable" Queen sized pull out couch. Upon arrival, there was only a wicker couch. When I asked the fron desk, they said that there was room that would accomodate, but they were "saving it for and emergency." they suggested that my friend sleep in the window seat.

I asked them to bring the bedding, which they did, and dumped it onto the furniture for us to make this "non-bed" into a bed.

The room was okay - though only one sink in the bathroom. I was rudely awoken by a couple of smokers occupying a patio table below my slightly ajar window - at about 7:15 am. My whole room filled with cigarette smoke. Not exactly relaxing.

I booked into the SPa for a slat scrub glow treatment - which has gone up in price and down in value since i visited last February 2012. The room was cold ( had to ask for the heat lamps to be turned on) The service provider was okay, but it wasn't nearly the treatment I had recieved previously. She said she was "leaving me a sample" at the desk to try for my aching shoulder. The "sample' was not so - it was a jar of some kind of goo that i was prompted to purchase. IF i had in fact been offered a sample, i amy have followed through with a purchase. Also, the spa was so packed i was discouraged form going to therelaxation room after my treatment - in fact told there was no room for me there.

Breakfast was not the healthy buffet it used to be ( and was included in the price of an overnight stay. it was greasy and pricey.

I am in no hurry to return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank rozlynj
Port Orchard, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Chrysalis Inn and Spa for three nights this May just prior to the Inns peak season. Our assigned room (two room suite overlooking the RR tracks) and its amenities were very good, staff was pleasant and helpful and the spa services as we expected for the price (very comparable to other Pacific Northwest Spa's).
Having stayed at the hotel a few years ago we did see that the room furnishings and public area facilities are getting a bit tired and could use a refreshening. Great to have Farehaven within a 15 minute slow-walk from the property offering a variety of restaurants, bars and coffee shops. At $300 + per night the property could dispense with the in-room gratuity envelopes for the House Keepers. Seems a bit of "nickel / dimming" there.

Room Tip: The property although overlooking Puget Sound is known for being "right on" the north sout...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We came up for a little filming. Stayed in their corner suite, it was everything they said it would be. Great views, perfect weather, so so comfortable. The restaurant was SO GOOD that we opted to eat there for every meal over three days. The staff were so friendly and nice and pleasant and it was just so lvoely to just hang out there. The food was awesome and the wine list full and affordable for every budget. The chef came out at every meal to make sure everything was just right and it was, the salmon startes was enough for three, the fish and chips awesome and the truffle fries to die for. NOTHING was a problem for these guys.

On our last day we were looking for a location for an interview and at the last minute I asked the manager if we could film on their patio. No problem, a million miles away from the Malibu Inn who chase you off "their" bit of beach ([--]). . Nothing was too much trouble. Bellingham itself is lovely, we would probably have never come here unless we were filming, but am so glad we did. will definitely be heading back to do NOTHING.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Westlake, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Loved staying at the Chrysalis Inn. The room was perfect--loved the window seat where you can comfortably read or look out at the water, enjoyed the huge bathtub, and sitting by the fireplace. Everyone was very welcoming. Very easy walking distance to Fairhaven with lots of great restaurants and shops. About a 2 mile walk to downtown Bellingham.

Room Tip: Skylark restaurant is within an easy walk and very good. D'Anna's is in downtown Bellingham...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

This was our 5th stay at the Chrysalis Inn. I cannot say enough about how great this hotel is compared to anything in the area and I would place this property up against any hotel that I have stayed in my life. We drove from Seattle to Bellingham via LaConner (eat at Seeds in LaConner). take the drive along the water and up Chuckanut Drive. You enter Bellingham in the Fairview district, a wonderful historic Fairview District (read reviews of the area). The hotel sits on the water near the bay with a beautiful view at sunset. The photos on the the hotel website and TripAdvisor are very accurate. Every surface and material is first class.

The staff, restaurant and common areas are just as good. 5 stars!!!

Room Tip: Center rooms on the 3rd floor are ADA, but huge and just as nice. Side partial rooms offer great vi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple