“Very clean rooms nice to my toddler”

The Chrysalis Inn & Spa
Ranked #15 of 26 Hotels in Bellingham
Reviewed April 26, 2012

My sister and I spent two nights, they were very kind to us even though we were travelling with a young child, who was not on best behaviour. Rooms were impeccably clean. No bad smells or "air freshener" types of smells.The bath was amazing (huge and relaxing) The surroundings were tranquil and we all had a great sleep. The rooms were nicely decorated. The trains aren't that bad, and there are ear plugs after all. Breakfast was much nicer than expected included eggs, sausage,breads a good fruit salad etc. Great location very walkable. Overall a very relaxing trip, looking forward to staying again. I think the price is good, after all, you get what you pay for!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed April 26, 2012

The rooms were great, the service was great, the view was great, the breakfast was good. The only problem was the fact that the train travels about 6 feet away from the hotel.

Room Tip: I've heard higher floors have less train noise
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SeeTheWorld000
Reviewed March 31, 2012

We recently stayed at the Chrysalis after an absence of several years. Although i would still recommend it there are some drawbacks. The positives : The rooms are lovely, done in restful earthtones with comfy beds and a very nice bathroom. However, prices have gone up significantly and I think a bit overpriced now given they are pretty much on the railroad track. At those prices I do NOT want to hear trains rumbling by numerous times each night blowing their horns! Also, the dvd's they lend out are very old ( and are way past due for updating) There is no exercize facility at the hotel. , They now charge $6/adult for the breakfast, if you wish to partake,. If you choose not to, they remove the charge from your bill. You may think $6 is not much for a breakfast, but unfortunately it is still too much for this offering The breakfast is absolutely ghastly!! Save your money and go to Fairhaven and buy breakfast. Five years ago the breakfast was included in the price of the room, and although not great it was certainly better than the current breakfast. This breakfast makes breakfast at the holiday inn expressor the hampton seem like the epitome of " Fine dining", in comparison. The hotel says it is put on by the restaurant Fino's , so it's not their responsiblitiy, but when the restaurant is in the hotel , I think that is a bit of a cop out. It's unfortunate as such an awful breakfast really takes away from the hotel. They would be better not to have one than to serve one that is this bad.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank pacificnorthwester
Reviewed March 22, 2012

We actually went to the hotel with great hope of being peaceful, relaxed and not having a single issue. Well after our first night we found a BIG spider web from one end of the wall to corner of the wall. It was so close to the bed, it was GROSS! We never noticed it on our first night we are in and out a lot. We complained to front desk, he said to wait for his assistant manager to come back the next day. We were not happy about that either but we waited. When she got to work she never contacted us or tried to "solve" the issue. We took time out of our "relaxing" vacation to chase her and tell her. Of course i am pissed i just paid $700 for 3 nights thats a lot of money to have spider webs in your room! Well to the least the manager was so not understanding and not helpful we literally felt like leaving, we have never been treated so badly. I also complained to the genereal manager, you would think she would try and contact me or email me back and say im so sorry. NOPE! Its been 2 weeks and i have got nothing. Honestly this hotel might have the view and luxary sleep area, if you arent able to handle customer problesm you are not a good bussiness. We are NEVER coming back to this hotel, nor am i recommending it to anyone i know.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Barb g
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Next to the bed we found an uncommon item: earplugs. During the night we discovered they were for the trains passing literally right next to the hotel.

BUT let me tell you the rest. We got a corner suite and it was stunning. Bathtub could fit a whole family. Bed was incredibly comfortable. The view is simple and beautiful, there's a reading ledge with ocean view. Staff was friendly, professional and welcoming. This hotel/spa is the type that only locals know about. It's impeccably clean.

Room Tip: The corner suites are worth the extra big.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 20, 2012

My husand booked a stay at this property to do something special to celebrate my Birthday. It was a surprise and I didn't know I was staying here until we actually arrived. Bearing in mind that I'm a former travel agent and have stayed in numerous amazing resorts, my husband really did his research to ensure that this place would be outstanding. At first glance it was. This place sparkles like a jewel with the back drop of the ocean and a Northwest/Asian contemporary flair. The lobby was beautiful with a sweeping staircase and natural slate flooring connecting to a noted spa. The views from the lobby overlooked the water which were breathtaking as were the views from our suite.

The rooms were clean, contemporary and large and bathroom was immaculate with a 2 person soaking tub and a separate 2 person tiled shower. There were several baskets filled with optional treats you could purchase for the bath or to munch on though I was a little put off by the prices. For instance a very small tin of gummy bears was $7.05. We were looking forward to using the complementary eucalyptis steam room in the spa until we found out that there was 2 separate steam rooms for men and women so we couldn't use it together. We were also disappointed when we discovered this place doesn't have a hot tub.

As some of the other reviews have mentioned this place is built right next to an operating railroad. The trains run often and they are loud-thus the complementary earplugs on each nightstand by the bed. Apparently there is less noise if you stay on the sides of the resort instead of the back but then you don't get the amazing view. My biggest complaint was the bed. In all of my travels, this bed by far, was the most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept in. It had no cushiness to it at all and it raised up on the opposite side of the heavier person laying on the bed. So in a sense I was somewhat at a slant angeld ever so slightly toward my husband. At 2 AM I spoke with the front desk, who were very nice and sympathetic, and they gave me bedding to try sleeping on the window seat. It was slighly better and I still ended up getting only a few hours of sleep. When I spoke to the front desk in the morning they again were sympathetic but said they were surprised because normally people comment on how comfortable the beds are. He wondered if maybe we had a broken slat on the platform and said they would take a look after we checked out.
Lastly, we had paid an additionally 6.00 per person to have the breakfast buffet in the lobby restaurant. It was basically scrambled eggs, country style potatos, toast your own(Sara Lee type) bagels, muffins, sweet breads, granola, yogurt, cereal, coffee and juices. They ALMOST made it but missed the mark. If there would've been some sort of meat-like ham or bacon, and better bagels this really could've been memorable and would've been a way better presentation of a buffet breakfast. I will say though that the eggs were outstanding, mixed with herbs and ham-complements to the chef.
This place would've been outstanding had it not been right next to the train tracks and had the bed been more comfortable. When you go to a Spa/Bed and Breakfast you imagine a haven of peace and quiet, a place to recharge. This was not that. This is a great place for the business traveler or out of towner that would like a beautiful place to stay that is close to town and the water. I felt that 289.00 was too much to pay considering all facets. I felt like a more accurate pricepoint for the location factors should've been around 199.00 to 225.00 for the Suite. Kudos to the staff though who were extremely nice and genuinely attentive in every way. I don't think I've ever come across a nicer staff at a hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms across the back facing the ocean are magnificent however the train noise is incredibly loud. S...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank SeeJaneEatStayPlay
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Went here with my wife for a birthday/Valentines day. We had a wonderful time. The location is great with views of the bay, the staff was friendly and helpful, and the spa was great. The steam room was worth mentioning on it own because of the cleanliness as well as the change room and showers. Located in the Fairhaven area of Bellingham, there is some great little stores and restaurants that are an easy walk away. I am addressing the train since it was mentioned in the other posts. We saw the tracks but only heard the train once while we were sitting in the window seat overlooking the bay. We did not hear it at all when we went to sleep.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple