My husand booked a stay at this property to do something special to celebrate my Birthday. It was a surprise and I didn't know I was staying here until we actually arrived. Bearing in mind that I'm a former travel agent and have stayed in numerous amazing resorts, my husband really did his research to ensure that this place would be outstanding. At first glance it was. This place sparkles like a jewel with the back drop of the ocean and a Northwest/Asian contemporary flair. The lobby was beautiful with a sweeping staircase and natural slate flooring connecting to a noted spa. The views from the lobby overlooked the water which were breathtaking as were the views from our suite.
The rooms were clean, contemporary and large and bathroom was immaculate with a 2 person soaking tub and a separate 2 person tiled shower. There were several baskets filled with optional treats you could purchase for the bath or to munch on though I was a little put off by the prices. For instance a very small tin of gummy bears was $7.05. We were looking forward to using the complementary eucalyptis steam room in the spa until we found out that there was 2 separate steam rooms for men and women so we couldn't use it together. We were also disappointed when we discovered this place doesn't have a hot tub.
As some of the other reviews have mentioned this place is built right next to an operating railroad. The trains run often and they are loud-thus the complementary earplugs on each nightstand by the bed. Apparently there is less noise if you stay on the sides of the resort instead of the back but then you don't get the amazing view. My biggest complaint was the bed. In all of my travels, this bed by far, was the most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept in. It had no cushiness to it at all and it raised up on the opposite side of the heavier person laying on the bed. So in a sense I was somewhat at a slant angeld ever so slightly toward my husband. At 2 AM I spoke with the front desk, who were very nice and sympathetic, and they gave me bedding to try sleeping on the window seat. It was slighly better and I still ended up getting only a few hours of sleep. When I spoke to the front desk in the morning they again were sympathetic but said they were surprised because normally people comment on how comfortable the beds are. He wondered if maybe we had a broken slat on the platform and said they would take a look after we checked out.
Lastly, we had paid an additionally 6.00 per person to have the breakfast buffet in the lobby restaurant. It was basically scrambled eggs, country style potatos, toast your own(Sara Lee type) bagels, muffins, sweet breads, granola, yogurt, cereal, coffee and juices. They ALMOST made it but missed the mark. If there would've been some sort of meat-like ham or bacon, and better bagels this really could've been memorable and would've been a way better presentation of a buffet breakfast. I will say though that the eggs were outstanding, mixed with herbs and ham-complements to the chef.
This place would've been outstanding had it not been right next to the train tracks and had the bed been more comfortable. When you go to a Spa/Bed and Breakfast you imagine a haven of peace and quiet, a place to recharge. This was not that. This is a great place for the business traveler or out of towner that would like a beautiful place to stay that is close to town and the water. I felt that 289.00 was too much to pay considering all facets. I felt like a more accurate pricepoint for the location factors should've been around 199.00 to 225.00 for the Suite. Kudos to the staff though who were extremely nice and genuinely attentive in every way. I don't think I've ever come across a nicer staff at a hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Chrysalis is a beautifully designed, award winning hotel and spa in a stunning waterfront setting. Luxurious guestrooms and suites offer comfortable hospitality with luxurious amenities, designed to enable guests to work or unwind with every comfort and convenience. Cuddle up in a bay view room or suite with cozy window seats, fireplaces and double soaking or whirlpool tubs. Watch the sunset from our restaurant and wine bar, or stroll the boardwalk over the water. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Odigeo, Agoda and Travelocity so you can book your The Chrysalis Inn & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Chrysalis Hotel Bellingham
- The Chrysalis Inn And Spa
- Chrysalis Hotel