“Over Priced Property” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 28 Hotels in Bellingham
Hawaii
“Over Priced Property”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Group of stayed here on the first day of our six day motorcycle tour of the Pacific Northwest. Unfortunately, no one was impressed with the simply furnished property and most felt that it did not provide good value as compared to other properties we stayed at during our tour. The better eateries in Bellingham are not close to this property, also the directions given by the front desk staff to the better eateries were poor. However, it's location is conveniently located off of I-5. However, based upon the choices in Bellingham, we would possibly consider staying here again but would definitely shop a bit more first.

Room Tip: Shop for other options before making reservations here.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Twin City, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

My reservation was for three nights and for three people. As often happens in places like this, the room only had two sets of towels so I went down to get another set. The second night when we returned to the room there were again only two sets of towels. I went to the office and asked them to verify that my reservation indicated three people. The clerk verified that it did and I asked her to notify the housekeeper to make up the room with three sets of towels the next day. The third night we returned to the room at 7:00 p.m. and the maid had not even be in the room, so I had to call the front desk to get someone up to my room to service it. When the maid showed up I asked her to just change out the towels and empty the trash. She expected me to gather the towels and trash and take them to her at the door.

I reported to the maid that the toilet seemed to be leaking because there was always water on the floor around the toilet. She told me to call the office and report it. In my opinion, if I report a problem to the maid, the maid should report it to the office rather than me having to make another report.

Otherwise, the room was clean and functional, though as other reviewers have pointed out, the rooms are tiny with beds up against the walls. It's also right next to the freeway so it's noisy. I had to wear earplugs at night.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

I stayed overnight here (from Vancouver) before flying out to Las Vegas in the morning. If you need to sleep and go you don't need anything fancy. The staff was friendly, the WIFI was fairly quick for $3. Of course, I wouldn't take a girlfriend here if you want a romantic getaway...

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Wes A
Tucson, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

My wife and I stayed here some years ago and appreciated the pool and the location in general. It's really just an 'overnight' kind of place, with cramped rooms.
This time there were three of us and when I reserved I asked for two queen beds. Turned out after we got there they don't have rooms with two queens. By itself, I would not have been upset just for that, because we could get along with two regular beds.
But the room with two beds was the same size as the rooms with one bed, apparently! The beds were jammed up against a wall/window/air conditioner on one side with a narrow space between the beds. There was a little dismay when we checked in; the manager said, 'The shower has cracks in it, but don't let that bother you, it works ok."
Parking is another problem. There may be sufficient parking spots, but the lot is so small there's a lot of walking if you don't capture a space near your room.
There was coffee and tea in the morning and the ice machine worked.
But this inn needs major remodeling to be a suitable and up to date overnight accommodation provider.

Room Tip: The title says it all.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank chuck0642

Travelers are raving about these Bellingham hotels

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

Arrive, sleep and leave. That is all one should do at this Motel 6 location. Be careful as this small Motel 6 is tucked off a side street and between a Mexican restaurant and the freeway...making it not easy to see! Just remember to turn RIGHT at the side street and go about 20 feet to the end of the street and then you will see the entrance to this motel.

The really sad note is the terrible internet service at this hotel. In fact, the speed tests I performed listed this hotel is in the LOWER 10% of the nation! Here you will pay $2.95 for being able to check email...and nothing more.

Even after calling Motel 6 internet support twice and they promised to remotely restart the "system", there was absolutely no improvement. What made this even more frustrating was no one at Motel 6 wanted to take responsibility for trying to resolve the poor functioning Wi-Fi.

Upon leaving Bellingham for Seattle I elected not to stay at another Motel 6 as I have zero comfort knowing the internet service, which is critical for my work, offers sufficient band width. Motel 6 should realize the demand for Wi-Fi will continue to grow greatly in the years to come and band-aid applications to this kind of internet service will not bring about loyal business travelers.

Motel 6 may leave the light on for you...but, that is not the case when it comes to the Wi-Fi service the offer.

Room Tip: Stay on the side away from Interstate 5 or you will likely listen to traffic noise all night long!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TraveljohnsonJ
Puyallup, Washington, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

We stay at Motel 6 because of their dog policy and the price. Most are a fairly good value. This one in Bellingham (Near WWU) is the exception.

The price was higher than we had expected for a Thursday night, $69. They charged $2,99 extra to connect to the internet.

Parking was a mess and we had to park our car out of site of the room and pack our bags a good distance.

The room was very small and you could hardly walk after unloading the bags.

The TV is this cheap tiny little thing.

Towels are tiny

Hot water must be on a time because after a couple minutes it comes out cold.

The blankets and general appearance of the place is dingy and cheap. The corporate office needs to pulls this franchise out. Poorly run and very run down. I will Never stay at this Motel 6 again.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this toilet. If you are tired from a long day on the road do yourself a favor and sta...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Randall H
Nanaimo, B.C.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

First, let me explain that I last stayed at this particular facility in May of 2010, and at that time had enjoyed a fairly positive experience. As Motel 6's go, it was quiet and clean, but of course not very comfortable (the beds at Motel 6 seem especially bad, no matter where you go). Therefore, based on this experience, I returned to the same motel on Tuesday night, Dec. 20, 2011.

Checking in fairly late (after 10 p.m.), as usual I requested a quiet room, upstairs. The guy on duty assured me that's what I would get, although he was fresh out of my first preference for a Non-Smoking rooms. That was okay with me though, and I checked into room 203. As expected, the room stunk. But it also featured black hair clippings in the sink, dirt on the rug, and filth in the shower stall. Then, when I turned down the bedheets, I found the pie'ce de re'sistance: food crumbs and body hair! So I called down to the front desk to complain.

"Yeah, somebody's not doin' their job," the guy said. An understatement if ever I heard one.

Of course he didn't appologize for the inconvenience, but he did offer to move me to another room - the one next door. Okay fine, I thought, and packed up for the move.

Upon examination, however, room 204 turned out to be very nearly as bad as 203. Not only did it have food crumbs on the carpet and hair in the sink, but while in the bathroom my eyes automatically homed in on a big fistful of red hair that had apparently been yanked from some woman's scalp, lying squarely in the middle of the floor! I nearly vomitted, but instead called down to the front desk a second time. At this point I was offered the choice of a full refund and immediate check-out, or else a move to yet ANOTHER room.

Since it was already nearly 1 a.m., I nixed the idea of checking out. But I also declined a second move, rationalizing that if TWO rooms up there were filthy, they were ALL likely to be that way. So instead of leaving I settled for complaining. Complaining to the night clerk that I'd wasted $55 on a room that I couldn't at all be sure was even safe to sleep in - healthwise - and furthermore informing him that I would be expecting a full refund in the morning. At least he agreed with me on that score. Meanwhile, gingerly I scooped up the hair on the floor and placed it in a plastic ice bag, with the intention of showing it to management in the morning.

After showering in the dirty stall, I proceeded to bed, where at least I found no food crumbs. Nonetheless, all night I tossed and turned. Not because of the standard freight box that Motel 6 supplies for a bed, but because of the heater. It was one of those cheap little wall-mounted jobs that was minimally adjustable to the point where I was either basting in my own sweat, or freezing, throughout the night. Finally, at 11 a.m. the next day, I awoke for the seventh and final time - thoroughly exhausted.

Check-out time was 12 noon, which was exactly when I managed to pull things together and shuffle out the door. At the office I handed the manager the bag of hair and my complaint, and received in return my Certificate for a Free Night's Stay. And while I appreciated the gesture of the certificate, I definitely didn't appreciate the way the man tried to deny responsibility for the heater. According to him, headquarters had laughed at him when he'd told them how much it would cost to fix the heaters (apparently I was by no means the first customer to complain about them). Typical shuck and jive. And he never did APPOLOGIZE for my miserable stay!

I don't expect to find The Four Seasons when I check into a Motel 6, but I DO expect to find a clean, well-maintained, functional room. Attention Tom Bodett: this particular facility could definitely use a personal visit from you. Better yet - spend the night there!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo