All reviewslighthouse suitelighthouse barbellingham bayjetted tubputting greenexecutive plazawater viewgas fireplacenice balconywater fronthotel restaurantsan juan islandsseparate showerhappy hourunderground parkingromantic weekendnice dinner
Reviewed August 27, 2010

Aug 13, 2010. 6:09pm. I travel a lot, so when I come home and want to have a special birthday dinner with my honey, overlooking the bay, I thought we would try the Bellwether hotel's restaurant. First, it was happy hour so we waited in the bar outside for our table. The bar was busy but we still sat there for 5 minutes before anyone brought water or even acknowledged our presence. No, "Hi, someone will be with you in a moment", nada, nothing. When we were finally seated and approached for our order (the meal for two which included steak) we were told by the waitress that we had to order our steak the same way because the chef was busy. Excuse me? I nearly walked out at that point (should've) but didn't. Then we saw the table next to us get bread but we had to ask for ours. I tried three times that weekend to reach a manager by phone to complain and could never get through. Big mistake, next time we'll go to their competitor, Anthony's Hearthfire grill, right next door.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hamster009
hotelbellwether, Manager at Hotel Bellwether, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2010

First, thank you for your comments. It is with our guests feedback that we can continue to grow as a hotel and restaurant. I understand that your last restaurant experience was a negative one, and that is not how we want our guests to feel when they are dining with us. I have forwarded your experience to the appropriate people and if you do decide to give us another chance, please call Fahri directly (360-392-3200) to receive the personalized service you should have received the first time.
If you would care to discuss this matter further, please feel free to email me at gina@hotelbellwether.com

Reviewed August 24, 2010

Our recent two night stay at Hotel Bellwether was better than I could have imagined. From start to finish, we were very pleased. Check in was easy, staff were polite and friendly in every interaction we had during our stay. They seemed to be genuine in their conversations with us and made it clear they were there for us if we needed them. I never enjoy being coddled or fawned over needlessly by hotel employees, and the staff was perfect in that they were not too fussy, and treated us like guests in their own home. They were also very kind to my little old dog, which always scores points with me!

Our room was on the ground floor, and while at first I was skeptical of the location, all it took was one look out the sliding door to prove me wrong. The view was amazing of the marina and hotel property. The oversized patio that ground floor rooms enjoy was where I spent my free moments taking in the sunshine, the view, the yachts and boats passing by, and one restaurant lunch to go. I felt like I was relaxing on my own private patio in my marina front home! It was lovely.

The restaurant take out lunch was also very good and quite the bargain during happy hour. The view from the restaurant and outdoor dining area is breathtaking, but I did not get to enjoy it due to our dog Curly not being allowed, which makes perfect sense. I do not fault any restaurant for this, of course! I did get a chance to peek at it though, and I would recommend dining there, or at minimum having an adult beverage on the patio to take in the views of the marina and The Sound. Breathtaking!

Our room was well appointed, spacious and very quiet. The jacuzzi tub was an added bonus in a large, comfortable bathroom. All in all, the room was perfect for us.

I do not write reviews of bad experiences, nor do I write them of mediocre experiences. Only fabulous experiences are shared by me, and Hotel Bellwether made the grade in my book. It was one of the lovliest places we have stayed due to the property itself, the staff, and the location. There are two other small properties that I adore and have been a repeat customer of...The Pulitzer in Barcelona, and The Empress in La Jolla. Hotel Bellwether is now officially one of my "perfect places"! We will return, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Thanks to all who made this a great stay!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SuburbanWife
hotelbellwether, Manager at Hotel Bellwether, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2010

First, we thank you for your comments! We love dogs here at the hotel and any chance we have to interact with our guests and their pets, we jump on it! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. We do pride ourselves on having good customer service and I'm glad that came through during your stay. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed August 23, 2010

We've stayed here twice now. The first time we left our Seattle home with no itinerary and ended up there (had never heard of it just walked in) at 6pm. We were given a great rate, on a suite and loved every minute of our stay. The view was great, we appreciated the boutique hotel vibe and walked to a restaurant next door. I think we got such a great rate because they were pretty empty and how many more people would be walking in that evening? The second time we came, we brought our infant daughter and were again pleased with our (even bigger) room although even with advanced planning the rates had gone up considerably. I check periodically and the rates seem pretty high for this hotel. We like our weekends away but for the price we could stay in Vancouver or Victoria just as easily. That's not to say we won't be back but we'll wait for a deal

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We do often run specials for mid week and sometimes weekend stays on our website or if you call into our Reservations department. We look forward to having you and your family back to see us soon.

Reviewed August 14, 2010

Too often review are written just for hotels where we have a difficult visit. This is NOT one of those. The Bellwether is a very comfortable hotel in a lovely marina setting. It's spotlessly clean indoors and the outdoors is well groomed. The staff was friendly, the rooms were roomy and well insulated, so, quiet. The bed was SO comfortable, there was free WIFI in the rooms, and therewere plenty of channels on cable. Our room without a water view actually had a great view with a little water showing. The free continental breakfast included fruit juices on ice, toast and muffins, fresh fruit, yogurt, cold cuts and cheese, cereals, and coffee, Breakfast was well displayed, delicious, and available in a window lined cafe with gorgeous views of the water. Loved Anthony's Hearthfire Grill next door too. The only thing that I could think of to change would be to make the pillows a little beefier.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lksWA

Thank you for your comments! We are so pleased that your stay with us was great. We strive to make every guests stay with us just that same way! And we look forward to having you back with us soon.

Reviewed August 11, 2010

We went to Hotel Bellwether for one night to celebrate our 5 year wedding anniversary. We drove to Bellingham and just walked up to the counter making a reservation right then. They put us in a room we didn't like (facing the parking lot) so we went back down to the desk and asked to see the one remaining water view room. We had initially declined it because of the price but the parking lot view is kind of dismal so we decided to have a look. There was a wedding that week and all the other water view rooms were occupied. The one room left wraps around the elevator and is really two rooms that have been turned into a suite. She let us look at it and we did. We moved and had a great stay. The view was lovely, the service was great and the room was immaculate. The furnishings in this hotel are amazing, solid wood without a pre-fab board anywhere to be found. We had drinks in the lounge and the service was pretty good. They get pretty busy around happy-hour and could probably use one more person but it wasn't anything to get upset about. Overall it was a great stay and we would definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments. First, happy anniversary and I'm glad that you ended up spending it with us! Glad to hear that our staff got you a room that you truly enjoyed. We hope that now you know about us, you come back to see us again soon.