All reviews lighthouse suite lighthouse bar bellingham bay jetted tub water view putting green executive plaza gas fireplace water front hotel restaurant san juan islands separate shower underground parking comfortable bed beautiful room loved this hotel fitness center
Reviewed April 16, 2010

very nice hotel. located directly at the bellingham bay. georgeous sundowners. excellent , professionel and very friendly staff which try to make all your wishes to come true!!! perfectly located to start outdoor trips and trips to vancouver!

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank wald2308
Reviewed April 6, 2010

My husband and I live in Vancouver BC and were flying out of the Bellingham airport very early one morning. So we decided we would get across the border the night before and stay near the Bellingham airport. I remembered a friend of mine had done the same and had highly recommended The Hotel Bellwether so we thought we would give it a try.

So I went online and booked The Hotel Bellwether Stay and Dine Package via their internet site. The online reservation process went well but the site did not ask me what time we wanted dinner so I had to call the hotel and make a dinner reservation when I finished making the online hotel reservation.

The directions to the hotel from the website were very precise and we easily found the beautiful resort which was located right on the shores of Bellingham Bay. There was no parking signage so we just parked in the first spot we found. The entrance into the hotel was via one automatic sliding door but at the top of the stairs there was a second door which was manual and very difficult to open with luggage. The front desk staff was very friendly and personable but we had to ask about parking and no one asked us if we wanted help with our luggage.

The room was very nice and had a beautiful view of the water. The room was well contained but we brought a bottle of wine with us to drink and as there was no wine opener in the room my husband had to go down to the front desk to get one.

We then went to the lounge for the Happy Hour and had a wonderful time. We had a table directly by the window and watched an amazing storm roll in off the water. The service was excellent even though it was quite busy and the drinks and appies were half price. The fried oysters and the mochitinis were so good we ordered seconds. The only negative were the coconut prawns were on skewers and although tasty were a little overdone and were virtually impossible to get off the skewers so you ended up with wood splinters in your mouth.

Then we went into the dining room for our dinner reservation. It was a beautiful setting, with a gorgeous view of the water however it was quite large and at 7 pm there was only one other couple in the entire restaurant so it was kind of uncomfortable.

The dinner that came with the Stay and Dine package included an appie choice by the chef, a choice from four dinner entrées and a dessert. Unfortunately, the appie choice was the coconut prawns that we previously had in the lounge and were not that impressed with the first time. We also ordered a bowl of the coconut curry seafood soup that my friend had highly recommended. She was right...it was chocked full of seafood and was quite tasty. We both then ordered the peppercorn rib eye steaks and were extremely disappointed. The steaks were quite big but very thin, overdone and not at all tender. We both only ate part of our steaks. The dessert was very good...it was a chocolate fallen cake which was very warm and yummy. The service was excellent but overall the food in the restaurant was mediocre.

We then went back to our room to return for the night. The guide on the TV showed countless channels but in many cases when my husband selected a channel he got the message "this channel is not available". My husband then phoned down to the front desk to ask about movies and he was told that they did not have any on-demand movies...only HBO.

In addition, one of the phones in our room did not work and you could not see the time on the clock radio from the other side of the bed.

Bottom line...it is a beautiful resort, in an amazing setting, with excellent service but could be a gold mine if management paid attention to the small details!

Date of stay: April 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank dawn0108
Reviewed April 1, 2010

Had to take advantage of the dollar on a little shopping trip down to Washington and booked the Hotel Bellwether after hearing about it from a friend. Both Bellingham and the Hotel were much more than we'd expected.

Our room looked out over the gorgeous Bellingham Bay and was very comfortable. We had a great dinner at the Harborside Bistro overlooking all the boats in the marina. Made us wish one of them was ours!

Got a chance to walk around downtown Bellingham and Fairhaven a bit. So charming! We'll definitely return to explore further... and maybe make friends with one of those boat owners!

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank westcoastgirl81
Reviewed March 31, 2010

Fantastic stay
staff was nice and the food for room service was well presented
awsome I have gone back every year for the past 5 years

1  Thank MrHibbs
Reviewed March 30, 2010

I would rather sleep in a dumpster then stay here again. I order breakfast (omlete) in the restaraunt and when they bring my meal I ask "do I get toast with this?" they're response was "yes but you have to make it yourself over at the continental breakfast bar". Two of my clients had to cancel through no fault of there own but "I" was charged full rate for rate for their rooms. They said they could have resold them; the hotel was at less then 20% capacity. DO NOT STAY THERE. Check the local garbage dump for better accomodations.

• Trip type: Traveled on business