All reviewslighthouse suitelighthouse barbellingham bayjetted tubputting greenexecutive plazawater viewgas fireplacenice balconywater fronthotel restaurantsan juan islandsseparate showerhappy hourunderground parkingromantic weekendnice dinner
Reviewed October 18, 2009

My Husband and I won a 2 night stay at a charity auction and were excited to spend our weekend at Hotel Bellwether. We were very disappointed. Luckily the money we spent on this went to charity, but I wanted to warn anyone planning on spending money here.
Firstly, the hotel was extremely warm everywhere, next there was mold in our refrigerator (which hardly should be called a fridge, as it actually was almost warm). Next, the breakfast rivaled that of a Best Western. The Holiday Inn Express has a better breakfast. There were dry muffins and some unidentifiable meat and sweaty cheese. It was half done, to put it mildly. I will say that the servers were all very friendly.
The decor of this hotel was terrible. It needs to be updated badly. It also is obvious that there previously was a pool and hot tub, turned putting green and water fountain. With not much to do at the hotel, they do have DVDs, however, they charge you $3 to "borrow" them, which I believe is ridiculous, as this is supposed to be a "luxury" hotel. I can't believe they charge you to borrow them.
Lastly, we wanted to go to dinner on Saturday night and were told the previous night that the shuttle ran 'til 9:30, however, the aloof front desk agent claimed that the shuttle didn't run that night and you "can only take it to the train station because of insurance reasons".
All and all this place is overpriced and they do nothing to go above and beyond or even meet expectations.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank seattle93
Reviewed October 4, 2009

I travel extensively in the business I am in and was looking forward to a much needed relaxing stay with colleagues.

This was one of the worst hotel experiences I have had across the country. Over priced and incredibly poor customer service. Staff were bordering on rude, did nothing towards making us feel welcome and the entire experience was bordering on comical it was so dissappointing

I would not recommend this hotel nor will I ever risk such a night again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank sabine44
Reviewed September 14, 2009

Was a bit disappointed with the room as we were paying over $300 for 3 people. The bed was comfortable (4 pillows instead of 3 would be nice)-actually the whole room was set up for 2 (even coffee, only 2 had to run out in the morning for another packet., 2 sets of towels, etc.) It does seem like the room could use some updating. TV was in a big cabinet and the doors did not stay open all the way-had to prop it open with a suitcase. (Not flatscreens which we expected for that price.) Parking was a nightmare to find (even in a designated garage) as the gentleman at the desk was like a robot (no smile, ever) when explaining where to park.
The major plus was the view (small balcony) but fantastic view!

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed August 22, 2009

Surprised my wife with our 15th anniversary (she says I never plan anything). The staff was friendly and accommodating. The room was not ready when we arrived which was not there fault as we were early. However, they felt we were inconvenienced and upgraded our room. The view was great. We faced out over the marina with the sound and mountains as the backdrop.

There are plenty of places to eat. The hotel has a restaurant which seamed pleasant. Anthony’s Homeport and Hearthfire Grill are next store. The Grill has the better view/patio. There are plenty of micro breweries and downtown Bellingham nice place to walk around.

Hotel Bellwether is the best place in Bellingham and can compete with most hotels in Seattle. I recommend this place especially if you can get a marina/sound view.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kfou
Reviewed August 19, 2009

I stayed at the Hotel Bellwether this month as per a friends request as she was getting married there and I was part of the wedding party. The staff was INCREDIBLY unfriendly, I would even go as far as to say "snobby" in nature. They glared, were unhelpful, unfriendly, and even got after a friend for attempting to get coffee in the lobby as we were given coffee in our rooms (12 people for a wedding party and they wanted us to use the one coffee maker in our room). Not sure what the coffee in the lobby is for if not for customers or potential customers.

Don't even get me started on the rooms. Although Bellwether is in a beautiful location, it leaves much to be desired on the inside. BORING, nothing fancy. I was expecting a lot more for my money. The rooms were even worse, bland, not very comfortable, the air conditioner in our room wasn't even working well (in 85-90 degree weather that can be VERY miserable). A lot of people from out of town arrived an hour or so early for the wedding so that they could "get ready" and were told that they were not allowed to check in till 4. They wouldn't let anyone in even 5 minutes early! The wedding was at 5! We thought, for the money, we should be allowed (after traveling 7 hours) to take a shower, do our hair and make-up, and prepare for the wedding. According to them, this is ludicrous.

Anyway, long story short, no one made us feel welcome at all. Being as how my friends and I are a party of 25 + adults I thought that were were treated as unruly teenagers and it was more than just a little offensive. We are responsible adults, at the Bellwether to enjoy a friends wedding and willing to pay the ridiculous prices for a beautiful short vacation. It felt like more of a chore and a hassle to stay here.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends