All reviews lighthouse suite lighthouse bar bellingham bay jetted tub putting green executive plaza water view gas fireplace nice balcony water front hotel restaurant san juan islands separate shower happy hour underground parking romantic weekend nice dinner
Reviewed October 4, 2009

I travel extensively in the business I am in and was looking forward to a much needed relaxing stay with colleagues.

This was one of the worst hotel experiences I have had across the country. Over priced and incredibly poor customer service. Staff were bordering on rude, did nothing towards making us feel welcome and the entire experience was bordering on comical it was so dissappointing

I would not recommend this hotel nor will I ever risk such a night again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank sabine44
Reviewed September 14, 2009

Was a bit disappointed with the room as we were paying over $300 for 3 people. The bed was comfortable (4 pillows instead of 3 would be nice)-actually the whole room was set up for 2 (even coffee, only 2 had to run out in the morning for another packet., 2 sets of towels, etc.) It does seem like the room could use some updating. TV was in a big cabinet and the doors did not stay open all the way-had to prop it open with a suitcase. (Not flatscreens which we expected for that price.) Parking was a nightmare to find (even in a designated garage) as the gentleman at the desk was like a robot (no smile, ever) when explaining where to park.
The major plus was the view (small balcony) but fantastic view!

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed August 22, 2009

Surprised my wife with our 15th anniversary (she says I never plan anything). The staff was friendly and accommodating. The room was not ready when we arrived which was not there fault as we were early. However, they felt we were inconvenienced and upgraded our room. The view was great. We faced out over the marina with the sound and mountains as the backdrop.

There are plenty of places to eat. The hotel has a restaurant which seamed pleasant. Anthony’s Homeport and Hearthfire Grill are next store. The Grill has the better view/patio. There are plenty of micro breweries and downtown Bellingham nice place to walk around.

Hotel Bellwether is the best place in Bellingham and can compete with most hotels in Seattle. I recommend this place especially if you can get a marina/sound view.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kfou
Reviewed August 19, 2009

I stayed at the Hotel Bellwether this month as per a friends request as she was getting married there and I was part of the wedding party. The staff was INCREDIBLY unfriendly, I would even go as far as to say "snobby" in nature. They glared, were unhelpful, unfriendly, and even got after a friend for attempting to get coffee in the lobby as we were given coffee in our rooms (12 people for a wedding party and they wanted us to use the one coffee maker in our room). Not sure what the coffee in the lobby is for if not for customers or potential customers.

Don't even get me started on the rooms. Although Bellwether is in a beautiful location, it leaves much to be desired on the inside. BORING, nothing fancy. I was expecting a lot more for my money. The rooms were even worse, bland, not very comfortable, the air conditioner in our room wasn't even working well (in 85-90 degree weather that can be VERY miserable). A lot of people from out of town arrived an hour or so early for the wedding so that they could "get ready" and were told that they were not allowed to check in till 4. They wouldn't let anyone in even 5 minutes early! The wedding was at 5! We thought, for the money, we should be allowed (after traveling 7 hours) to take a shower, do our hair and make-up, and prepare for the wedding. According to them, this is ludicrous.

Anyway, long story short, no one made us feel welcome at all. Being as how my friends and I are a party of 25 + adults I thought that were were treated as unruly teenagers and it was more than just a little offensive. We are responsible adults, at the Bellwether to enjoy a friends wedding and willing to pay the ridiculous prices for a beautiful short vacation. It felt like more of a chore and a hassle to stay here.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank chinagrl5
Reviewed August 16, 2009

We actually stayed here about 5+ years ago and had a nice enough time. Rooms were large, it was a nice setting. Unfortuantely their unhelpful service makes me never want to stay here again. 5 years ago, we were checking out of the hotel right at the required check out time and about 5-10 min before check out time, just as we were headed out the door, the front desks calls our room to ask if we are leaving yet. We thought it was odd and a bit tacky but didn't think much of it. Recenty we made a reservation for July 2009. I called to confirm that they had an infant crib available for our 19 month old. They informed me that they did, but that it was available on a first come first serve basis and that they could not guarantee that one would be available when we got here, even though we are making a reservation ahead of time. What the...???!! Fortunately we were only driving up from Seattle so it was not a deal breaker, but what if I were someone flying in from out of town and checking extra baggage for a pack and play would have been an issue? So we went ahead and booked because the Chrysalis was full. Then, the morning of our check in date, our toddler spikes a fever to 102.8. I called to see if they would cancel the reservation without a fee because it was already after their 72 hour cancellation policy. I was prepared to drag our sick screaming child 1-2 hours north to keep the reservation, but the woman on the phone graciously gave me a cancellation number and said they would waive any penalty fees and that they would call if there was a problem. I did not hear anything back from them the rest of the day. Now it is a month later and there is a charge for $209 on my credit card statement from the Hotel Bellwether. I find their service extremely crippling for an otherwise nice hotel. They have no idea what the word "hospitality" means in the hospitality industry.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family